Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,889,599 times

Advertisements

I think most schools have policies that cell phones are supposed to be turned off during school. But let's face it, when you have one teacher and 25-30 kids, it is not possible to always catch the kids texting, cheating, stealing, vandalizing, bullying or passing notes. Not for lack of trying, but it just isn't possible. God forbid they actually ban cell phones altogether...parents go ballistic. So teachers have one more disruption to deal with.

I gather it was the school that discovered this, not the parents. So really, who was doing the better job, the school where it was discovered, or the parents of the girl who sent it or the parents of the kids that received it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,645,919 times
How easy would it be for a kid to use it in the bathroom. Locker rooms? that could be a parents nightmare to have their kid's naked photo being sent all over the internet by some nasty kid looking for revenge.

Makes me happy I'm not a parent.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,030,185 times
Could be worse.

OAKLAND, Calif. – A second-grade teacher in Northern California was placed on leave while a school and police investigate accounts by students that classmates engaged in oral sex and stripped off some of their clothes during class, officials said Friday.
The investigation was under way at Markham Elementary School in Oakland, where the principal notified parents of the situation in a letter Thursday.
"We believe if the reports are true, there was a serious lapse of judgment or lack of supervision in the classroom," said Troy Flint, a spokesman for the Oakland Unified School District. "We're investigating how could this have happened. It seems unthinkable to us, just the same way it does to the public."

Calif school eyes accounts of sex by 2nd graders - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110122/ap_on_re_us/us_classroom_sex - broken link)

Old 01-22-2011, 01:08 PM

249 posts, read 751,964 times
There was a 5th grader in my school last year that sent a nude of herself to one of the boys in her class. Of course he then forwarded it to other kids. One child came forward to the principal and told him what happened. Principal called the parent to let them know, but she did it from home, so there was nothing for the school to get involved in.

I teach 4th grade and most of the kids do have phones. Most of them have nicer phones than I have. They are allowed to have them on them as long as they are off and not visable. My students understand that if I can't see it or hear it, it's not a problem. Once it makes a noise or I get sight of it, I take it and hand it in the principal. It only takes one child to test the rule before it becomes clear. I had a girl in the beginning of the year that took her phone out to show another student. She cried, she begged, she cried some more.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:37 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,645,919 times
Quote:
One incident involved several students who partially undressed and acted disruptively during class, while the other involved students who engaged in oral sex
Sound like loverly children. I can only imagine what their home life must be like for them to have that type of behavior.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:12 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,923,161 times
Where are the parents? The schools only see your child )along with 25-30 others every class) for 6 hours daily~what are they doing the other 18 hours? Parents can get the option to restrict phone use during certain hours of the day. Call or look up the provider and find out how. Parents can also look at the calls and texts on a given day and challenge the student as to all of the "messages" necessary during the school day. There should only be one person that child is calling during the day, and that is the parent, in an emergency only. Who is paying the bill? Doubtful that the 5th or 6th grader is!

The phone has become a necessary evil, nuisance and obstruction to learning in the schools. Most schools have strict rules regarding appropriate use, but kids are so clever, they can text with the phone in their sweatshirt sleeve, pocket or while digging in their backpack for something. If I see it, I take it away, give it to the administrator of the building and the Mommy/Daddy unit has to be inconvenienced to pick it up after school. Often the parent is calling before the phone has even arrived in the office because the kids has borrowed someone else's, gone to the lavatory, and called or texted parental unit to tattle on teacher. Parent comes in, gets phone and hands it to kid, right in front of Assistant Principal. So much for effective discipline.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:19 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,056,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Few. Even the cheapest ones have cameras built in. Too bad they didn't have a software feature to turn them off.
You can still buy plain cell phones that just make phone calls. No texting either. That's all any kid should get until they are over 18 IMO.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:20 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,056,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I think most schools have policies that cell phones are supposed to be turned off during school. But let's face it, when you have one teacher and 25-30 kids, it is not possible to always catch the kids texting, cheating, stealing, vandalizing, bullying or passing notes. Not for lack of trying, but it just isn't possible. God forbid they actually ban cell phones altogether...parents go ballistic. So teachers have one more disruption to deal with.

I gather it was the school that discovered this, not the parents. So really, who was doing the better job, the school where it was discovered, or the parents of the girl who sent it or the parents of the kids that received it?
Yep, they can text with the phones in their pocket, not even looking. Teachers can't stop that.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,406,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
Where are the parents? The schools only see your child )along with 25-30 others every class) for 6 hours daily~what are they doing the other 18 hours? Parents can get the option to restrict phone use during certain hours of the day. Call or look up the provider and find out how. Parents can also look at the calls and texts on a given day and challenge the student as to all of the "messages" necessary during the school day. There should only be one person that child is calling during the day, and that is the parent, in an emergency only. Who is paying the bill? Doubtful that the 5th or 6th grader is!

The phone has become a necessary evil, nuisance and obstruction to learning in the schools. Most schools have strict rules regarding appropriate use, but kids are so clever, they can text with the phone in their sweatshirt sleeve, pocket or while digging in their backpack for something. If I see it, I take it away, give it to the administrator of the building and the Mommy/Daddy unit has to be inconvenienced to pick it up after school. Often the parent is calling before the phone has even arrived in the office because the kids has borrowed someone else's, gone to the lavatory, and called or texted parental unit to tattle on teacher. Parent comes in, gets phone and hands it to kid, right in front of Assistant Principal. So much for effective discipline.

"Ohh no little Johnny needs the best and coolest cell phone on the market. How can he face his friends if he has an old fashioned cell phone"

Until we stop raising a generation of @@@wholes our children will never match up with the rest of the world. You want our children to compete with China were children are trained like soldiers in schoools? Kids get their butts handed to them for looking the wrong way. Come on people parents have causesd all of these problems and the schools cant fix them. If they actually try to something about these problems they get dyfs called on them or even worse.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:34 AM

614 posts, read 1,372,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
You can still buy plain cell phones that just make phone calls. No texting either. That's all any kid should get until they are over 18 IMO.
But some people who call themselves parents can't seem to give thier kids regular plain cell phones. It should be mandatory that any minor under the age of 18 should NOT have a camera phone, one that does text. If it is in the hands of an underage child it should be looked upon as if they were buying cigarettes and FINE THE PARENTS!! and instate
"Zero Tollerence".

This is all I want to write on this issue, it makes me sick to see how much people are getting away with and NOTHING seems to get done about it. This is not the first time this has happened and it won't be the last either, it will only get worse, and for those parents who think "Thats not going to happen to my kid" well don't be all suprized if it is your kid one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: