Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia30 View Post
Hi!

Im 30 year old, moving by myself in June to New Jersey from Israel.
Im looking for a fun place to rent a studio in Jersey City as I work around Newport mall.
I want a cool place with young people, where I would be able to make new friends!
I prefer a furnished place, and of course clean and safe.
I dont care about schools etc. as Im single, so thats not an issue.
As for budget - I guess ~$1800 is OK.
Parking is not an issue as I will be using public transportation - And its very important to be close to the PATH (or any other transportation to the city).

heard there are community buildings - but that some are horrible and some are great. I dont know how that works - And I will really appreciate your help guys!

Thanks so much!!
Juls
goto maps.google.com search for exchange place path station and newport path station, anything with walking distance to either will be good.

also you can search for grove path station, anything within 2 blocks of the station will be ok.

Here stateside, you will not find much furnished rentals. Yes it's illogical and I never understood that, but that's the way it is. You will need to buy your own furniture. $1000 in ikea should get you the basics.

Welcome to jersey city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 2,359 times
Thanks everyone!! You're all so helpfull!
Im starting to think about living in the CITY... (Manhattan).
The prices are around $1700 as well, for a smaller place - but much greater location.
What do you say?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
The prices are around $1700 as well, for a smaller place - but much greater location.
What do you say?
Manhattan is very expensive and the cheaper areas have high crime rates. Have you looked in Weehawken or in a Smaller Dense town like Summit or Morristown?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:57 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,518 times
Default There are other considerations

Quote:
What do you say?
As much as a trendy address in Manhattan will impress your friends in Israel, for you personally the space will be cramped, you won't get a washer/dryer in your apartment like you might in Jersey, and you will have a longer commute to your job. Not to mention that in your price range expect to hear a lot of street noise 24/7 in Manhattan. I tried living there, I couldn't sleep or open a window

Even though I live in Jersey City at the Beacon, a 14 acre Art Deco former hospital complex undergoing renovation, and it does have rentals, some funished, it's all new construction, and you could get a great apartment there with a great view, I'd still recommend a single person your age check out Hoboken as others have done.

You can still get a light rail train almost direct to your job from there and the ambiance of the Hoboken area would be more to your liking if you are into night life and the party scene. And then there is the shopping...

If you are set on Jersey City, and you don't want to be dependant on the Beacon's shuttle, I think the recommendations you've gotten to stay within a few blocks of the Grove Street Path station or as a second choice, the Exchange Place Path Station, is very good advice.

Taxi service in Jersy City is corrupt, rude, dirty, and smelly, so you want to use a taxi as little as possible.

There are some good restaurants on Grove Stree and nearby, but nothing like Hoboken, despite the city's efforts to develop more night life and destination venues.

Last edited by Beaconowner; 02-10-2011 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
As much as a trendy address in Manhattan will impress your friends in Israel, for you personally the space will be cramped, you won't get a washer/dryer in your apartment like you might in Jersey, and you will have a longer commute to your job. Not to mention that in your price range expect to hear a lot of street noise 24/7 in Manhattan. I tried living there, I couldn't sleep or open a window

Even though I live in Jersey City at the Beacon, a 14 acre Art Deco former hospital complex undergoing renovation, and it does have rentals, some funished, it's all new construction, and you could get a great apartment there with a great view, I'd still recommend a single person your age check out Hoboken as others have done.

You can still get a light rail train almost direct to your job from there and the ambiance of the Hoboken area would be more to your liking if you are into night life and the party scene. And then there is the shopping...

If you are set on Jersey City, and you don't want to be dependant on the Beacon's shuttle, I think the recommendations you've gotten to stay within a few blocks of the Grove Street Path station or as a second choice, the Exchange Place Path Station, is very good advice.

Taxi service in Jersy City is corrupt, rude, dirty, and smelly, so you want to use a taxi as little as possible.

There are some good restaurants on Grove Stree and nearby, but nothing like Hoboken, despite the city's efforts to develop more night life and destination venues.
No socialitation allowed .....and stop lying about the unsafe Beacon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey