Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times

Advertisements

Seriously, you're not going to be able to tell how successful you'll be after college by what a handful of students post on the internet. Ditto yclept, people who are unhappy are more likely to jump on the Net and make people aware of their unhappiness; people who are satisfied/content with the school are much less likely to run on the Internet to tell people about it. Try googling "I hate Harvard" and see how many negative comments you get.

Go where ever you think you will learn best. The fact that some other students cheat has little or no effect on you or your future. Learn the material, get to know your professors (as they may be able to help you get a good job later), and do internships as much as possible. These are the things that will help you land a good job out of college. And your salary immediately post-graduation will almost always be low for the field you choose. You need more than a degree to earn top dollar for what you do; you need experience and good contacts. That takes time, which is why building contacts and doing internships while in school is valuable.

The only other advice I can give is to choose an inexpensive school. I did my first 2 years at community college (which saved me big $$), but I did my last 2 years at a fairly well known private school. I went there thinking I'd get a better job because of where I went to school. WRONG. All I ended up with was a lot more student debt. I regret to this day, not going to Rutgers. Sure, the classes would have been larger, but I'd be a lot better off financially right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 07:23 PM

28 posts, read 101,926 times
Wouldn't the complaints be justified if they are common amongst students even the ones that still think it's a decent school. I'm sure people hate Harvard, but teaching some the basics of programming and leaving them to struggle is pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey