Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 PM

152 posts, read 351,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
How hard is it? Well first you are going to have to find other homes for the occupants, or throw families on the streets. Probably within the current school district. Why should they be moved somewhere else against their will because you find them distasteful? How about the folks in the area you move them to? In Serbia they called it ethnic cleansing.
Why is it society's responsibility to find homes for the occupants? Are they cattle, or able bodied adults? If the high rise, subsidized projects are nothing but a source of crime, they probably need to go. There are more than enough social services for people to get assistance with housing if they need it. But I know the working middle class surely doesn't get that privilege. Nor assistance with their rent.

I've had to move before because the apartment I was living in were being razed & rebuilt (at much higher rents). If I remember, it was up to us to find somewhere else to live. Ethnic cleansing?? Even comparing that to this is an insult to those who have been victims of that horror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
How hard is it? Well first you are going to have to find other homes for the occupants, or throw families on the streets. Probably within the current school district.
There's help, and no one ends up on the street b/c they are already a ward of the state, so to speak. And not within the school district b/c 9 times out of 10, they're given vouchers to live in towns with better school districts. Doesn't mean once the influx comes in that those schools don't turn to crap too.

Quote:
Why should they be moved somewhere else against their will because you find them distasteful? How about the folks in the area you move them to? In Serbia they called it ethnic cleansing.
It not eminent domain, it's not ethnic cleansing, it's : Your public housing funded through tax payer $$ is getting knocked down. Here's how we're going to work it out for you so you can live somewhere else where tax payers cover it all for you.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 PM

67 posts, read 343,926 times
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the hoboken projects are some of the nicest in the country (not visually), I even wish I lived there.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbarkley View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the hoboken projects are some of the nicest in the country (not visually), I even wish I lived there.

Agreed. I have no live in a near by city bc I can't afford hoboken, even being single and no real debt. I duno I'm sick of trying to save money.

How do I get gov't assistance and in the Hoboken Projects? Do I just need to have a kid or just not really want to hold down a job?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM

249 posts, read 825,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Doesn't every town have to provide a certain amount of affordable housing? It doesn't have to be "projects" necessarily though.

I remember in the late 90's when New Brunswick demolished their hi-rise projects and put in townhouses. I remember there being some controversy about people having to move out of town because they could no longer afford the new housing.
They were "relocated" to Franklin. Now Franklin and it's residents have to put up with them. I'd love to "relocate" these residents right back to New Brunswick where they came from and clean up Franklin again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
There's help, and no one ends up on the street b/c they are already a ward of the state, so to speak. And not within the school district b/c 9 times out of 10, they're given vouchers to live in towns with better school districts. Doesn't mean once the influx comes in that those schools don't turn to crap too. .
Exactly!!!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
hoboken's projects aren't the issue people make them out to be. is it all nice and beautiful? of course not. but most of the crime in Hoboken when I lived there was committed by non-Hoboken residents who scour into town to rob people. There was very little crime in general in Hoboken. save for a few robberies in buildings where people didn't lock their doors, or buzzed people in without knowing who it was.

as for getting rid of projects, it's not going to happen. the thing is, the idea of what projects are should be rethought. I don't know what ever happened in Atlantic City, but didn't they try experimenting with townhome style projects...where it was low income rent, that went towards purchasing the place over time? the idea is that if you give people a place that looks nice, they would care about it more, and want to keep it nice. if you give people a place that looks like crap, they'll treat it like crap.

there was an interesting story on someone who lives in the Bronx in assisted housing based on income. it was an NPR podcast...i'll try and track it down. her insights were very interesting on how some people work to move up, and some people obviously don't.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the idea is that if you give people a place that looks nice, they would care about it more, and want to keep it nice. if you give people a place that looks like crap, they'll treat it like crap.
you dont seriously believe that do you?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you dont seriously believe that do you?
it's the broken window theory. take it up with the likes of guiliani if you disagree. i'm just stating what the idea is.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's the broken window theory. take it up with the likes of guiliani if you disagree. i'm just stating what the idea is.
i dont fault you for stating the idea. i just think its a silly idea. most places were nice when they were newly built and in many cases long after that. then the wrong people turn them to garbage.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont fault you for stating the idea. i just think its a silly idea. most places were nice when they were newly built and in many cases long after that. then the wrong people turn them to garbage.
i think it's been shown to work with reducing crime in areas by repairing damaged buildings or tearing them down and planting grass or shrubs in the lot. cleaning up abondaned lots, etc.

so i think it's a good approach to keep the low income housing up to date, and maybe do these "rent to buy" programs. will there still be people who don't care? sure. but i don't think that means it's not a better option than the current system.

places being nice when they were built 60-70 years ago, but never updated, kinda falls into line with saying that they should invest in them to keep them current.

in a small town in NEPA where i grew up, i went to school with many kids who's parents lived in "the projects". they were decent apartments at that time. looking at those same buildings now, simple things need to be done just to freshen them up. will that make people take more pride in the property? maybe, maybe not. but one things for sure...if it looks like crap, they have nothing to be proud of to begin with so why care at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey