Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:10 AM

807 posts, read 1,034,029 times

Advertisements

My brother has a young family living above him in an apartment, man, woman, small child. The husband is a drunk, doesn't work, and they constantly fight all the time.

Yesterday, the wife came home from work, found the husband wasted with multiple loaded guns on the floor, one an AR15. Wife called the cops. Apparently the guy has these guns legally. He was taken to a rehab, but back the next day.

My brother is worried, there is only a sheet of wood separating him from this nut job with semi-automatic weapons.

Is there anything the apartment management can do to remove this crazy person? I would think he is a huge liability to the safety of the many renters in the building. What if this dude goes postal, would the apartment complex be at all responsible for allowing this man to live there under the circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
One word, "move".

Old 09-15-2018, 08:03 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Be concerned he has a car and driver's license as well.

Many career drinkers use fake DL, though many just drive without it.

Plenty of alcoholics own guns and are not a danger, this one, based on what is said re loaded guns, is indeed a concern.

Move, but be aware you may still bump into this guy on the road in an intoxicated state driving 2 tons of energy vs 1,600 ft pounds of muzzle energy from a 223.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:39 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,059,272 times
Apparently, this guy was given the right to carry so there is probably no history of psychiatric illness (not to say he doesn't have problems now).

If he is that worried, he should move. If he stays, he should call police every single time he hears any kind of commotion in order to establish a history and pattern of disruptive behavior.

The apartment management has even less accountability than the folks who allowed him to legally possess the firearms.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:43 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
The apartment management has even less accountability than the folks who allowed him to legally possess the firearms.
+1
If existing laws--and enforcement of those laws--are allowing this unstable person to possess dangerous weapons, there is nothing that the apartment management can do about the situation.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
why did his wife call the police?

Old 09-15-2018, 08:51 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
If you want to post a rant against AR-15's you may want to put it in the Political section.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:13 AM

807 posts, read 1,034,029 times
Not ranting about AR15s. For one I thought they were illegal in NJ, but apparently not. This guy is an ex-marine, so I don't know if that has anything to do with him having this weapon.

The wife brings their child to daycare while she is at work and the drunk is home all day. At least she is smart enough to not leave the kid with him. When she came home with the kid the other day, he was drunk and combative, with loaded weapons on the floor. I guess she called the cops because she was scared.

Cops took him away when he tried to step on the guns trying to hide them, then proceeded to call the cops expletives. This is just a bad situation waiting to get much worst.

I posted this to see if the apartment complex was responsible in any way and if there was anything they could do to remove this guy. Seems like a huge liability for them.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:00 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
move

its going to be on nj.com one day

Old 09-15-2018, 10:27 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Sounds like a lot of speculation. How do you know they were loaded? Next, while some States have "bans" against "assault weapons" there are many easy ways to legally side step these stupid bans. We have a "ban" here in California but with some simple modifications I can still buy whatever I want at any local gun store.

If you are that paranoid you might want to purchase some firearms yourself and get trained on how to use them or at least go to a range and educate yourself so you aren't afraid of an inanimate object. Last, there are no real laws against drinking and shooting so long as the shooting is in a legal area. So no, the complex is not liable for someone not breaking any laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey