U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 43,746 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the area for a job in Princeton. I have read about a lot of people commuting to NY or Philly from Princeton, but does anyone have experience going the opposite way?

I like Princeton, but the taxes are high (income and property) and I think my wife would have an easier time getting work in Philly.

I am open to taking the train (have access to a work shuttle from the station to the office), or driving.. Is the traffic terrible if you are LEAVING philly in the morning and heading north?

Towns I have considered: Yardley, New Hope (if buying a house) and Philly for a townhouse/condo.

Monthly payment limit ~2400k for rent or mortgage

Any other suggestions are appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 PM

17,579 posts, read 43,328,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbikes07 View Post

Towns I have considered: Yardley, New Hope (if buying a house) and Philly for a townhouse/condo.
I think there is a huge commute difference between Yardley and New Hope vs. Philly to Princeton. I work in Princeton and a lot of my coworkers live in the Yardley area. Most think the commute is not too bad. A few people live in Philly and complain daily about the commute.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:25 PM

912 posts, read 2,296,862 times
New Hope to Princeton is a hop, skip and a jump. I can't imagine many of those roads being too traffic-ridden.

Philly is one of the biggest cities in the country. The roads are gonna be packed. Getting specifically from PA to NJ wouldn't be the issue as much as navigating the roads within the city on your way to I-95 and getting out of the city itself. Route 1 is also bad within Philly itself, considering all the traffic lights.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 8,209,871 times
Might also look at Newtown, Pa. About the same commute as Yardley and it has a great little downtown.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM

17,579 posts, read 43,328,876 times
To give you a little frame of reference. I live in Marlton, NJ. I little bit North of Philly. My commute to Princeton on a great day is about 50 minutes. Average is probably 65 minutes.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:03 PM

1,527 posts, read 3,847,078 times
I've done that commute. It's not bad at all. If your wife is working in Center City Philly, and that's where you would live too, then I think it's better for just one person to commute that commute, instead of two of you doing it.
You would do it by car for sure.

If you don't have kids and your wife works in Philly, I would definitely do it if I was you. I would rather live in Philly on the weekends, even if it meant driving during the week.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM

8 posts, read 43,746 times
Thanks for all the quick answers! I just read on another post here that Philadelphia has a 3.9% wage tax for residents whether they work there or not?!? That kind of offsets the tax advantages of philly vs nj a little.

As for commuting from center city - how hard is it to own a car in center city? Parking in most areas of boston is miserable and i imagine it would be similar in center city.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 AM

67 posts, read 331,022 times
If you're gonna own a car in Center City, you're going to have to spring for the monthly parking garage reservation, it's damn near impossible to park publicly in Center City, 24/7.

I also think the commute to Princeton is gonna get pretty old for you, there was a time when I commuted from Trenton to Philly, not exactly the same, and slightly going against traffic (even though on 95/1 there really is no set traffic direction) but Trenton is considerably closer to Philly, and it just got old real fast, only like 25 minutes if theres NO traffic, and you drive fast, but with the toll, and the exhausting fact that during work times there always will be traffic, you might hate it very soon. Much better than any NJ-NYC commute though.

On the plus side there is (from what I barely remember) no toll going into NJ, and if you drive into Trenton (right next door to princeton) and get on route 1 before the trenton makes bridge, then switch to 95 while youre in PA, you'll avoid the toll (I THINK, worked for me at one point)

Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,847,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbikes07 View Post
Thanks for all the quick answers! I just read on another post here that Philadelphia has a 3.9% wage tax for residents whether they work there or not?!? That kind of offsets the tax advantages of philly vs nj a little.

As for commuting from center city - how hard is it to own a car in center city? Parking in most areas of boston is miserable and i imagine it would be similar in center city.
Yep. Wage tax if you work or live there. Fun, fun.

You'll need a parking garage probably. You can try street parking first and see how it goes. It depends where you live. Some areas have more street parking than others.

I didn't think the commute was that bad. Well, at least it was worth it for the weekends in Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey