Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 PM

663 posts, read 1,863,267 times

Advertisements

I am currently in Atlanta and have taken a break from the 70 degree weather this weekend to stop by this forum and find out about some aspects of the ethnic offerings in NJ that might be analogous to what is found in Atlanta. If someone is familiar with the Atlanta area, please let me know:

Is there an equivalent of the Buford Highway Farmer's market in NJ (or close by in NY)?

Is there an equivalent of the Global Mall (South Asian Mall with food court and shops all enclosed)?

Is there an active tennis league similar to ALTA in terms of size and scope?

How about the number of authentic Mexican and Korean restaurants (such as those found on Buford Hwy.) ? I hear a lot about Pizza and Chinese of course, but I'm more interested in the above.

Thanks for your help, as I am trying to see whether NJ has similar ethnic venues and recreational offerings to the ones that I currently enjoy in the Atlanta area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM

262 posts, read 789,725 times
(Darkone, I currently live in Atlanta as well. Thought I would get you some info while we wait for the NJ residents to provide more accurate info.)

South Asian / Indian -- there is an overwhelming number of options in Edison, NJ. In NY, I believe the area is Jackson Heights.

East Asian / Korean -- There are 5 H-Marts in NY, and 6 in NJ. So I suspect there should be plenty of these options.

The South / East asian population of the USA came to NY metro, before they came to the Atlanta metro. So I am guessing there will be many more options in the NYC/NJ/Philadelphia area.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:41 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
South Asians are concentrated in Middlesex County, especially Edison, and also in Jersey City in Hudson County. But you will find South Asian markets and stores scattered around all of North Jersey as there are significant South Asian populations in all of the suburbs.

Koreans are concentrated in Bergen County, particularly Palisades Park, which will probably be majority Korean in the 2010 Census. Koreans are more concentrated than South Asians, but there are some offerings all around the state.

Authentic Mexican is all over NJ. There are no particular areas of Mexican concentration, but Mexicans tend to live alongside other Hispanics (who are more common; most Hispanics in NJ are from the Caribbean).

Ethnic offerings are much more common in North and Central Jersey than in South Jersey, which attracts a lot fewer immigrants.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
there are some pollo tropical restaurants for that authentic carribean fare

Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 AM

79 posts, read 267,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Authentic Mexican is all over NJ. There are no particular areas of Mexican concentration, but Mexicans tend to live alongside other Hispanics (who are more common; most Hispanics in NJ are from the Caribbean).
Not necessarily is all over NJ, I’ve found good authentic Mexican food only in Passaic (El Aguila - I usually go for Bread and pastries, but once in a while I order for to go) and New Brunswick (where I’ve seen a lot of Mexicans) and a couple of places in Bound Brook (close to the train station - the place is called: Mis Amigos) and Somerville.
If you want to try Costa Rican food you’ll find it in Manville, Bound Brook (a.k.a. Little Costa Rica ) and Somerville.
There is one Cuban Restaurant in Somerville (Martinos), if you want to try Peruvian, Ecuadorian or Colombian you can go to Plainfield or Elizabeth (where their Latino population is mainly from these countries)
Good luck

PS
I heard rumors that in Elizabeth there are a couple of good Mexican places (I'll find out )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey