Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 PM

445 posts, read 1,983,849 times

Advertisements

I am often amazed at all these big houses that people in NJ are building and buying. If you are one of these people, can i ask what exactly you do for a living to be able to afford a 500k house.Maybe i will get into that field
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 01:30 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Bear in mind that alot of the people who bought those $500k houses can't afford them- they've got interest-only ARM loans that have come due now, or are coming due shortly, and many of these folks are now facing foreclosure. That's why the mortgage companies have tightened the lending requirements again, and you're starting to see "normal" loans and interest rates again.

For the people who "sorta" can afford them, they spend an excessive percentage of their net incomes on their mortgage payments and property taxes, and have very little money left over for savings, 401k's, or anything else. It's truly a sad state of affairs that many people in this area have put themselves in.

Bob

Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,983,849 times
So these people buy a house with the adjustable rate mortgage hoping the house builds value and then sell it? I like NJ and its sad that i cant buy a house here unless its located in camden or trenton.
It seems that north and central jersey are for people who commute to NYC but want the suburban lifestyle. That being said, why dont people live in southwest nj where its much cheaper and commute to Philly. Philadelphia has many jobs, i'm sure.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
So these people buy a house with the adjustable rate mortgage hoping the house builds value and then sell it?
I think it's more that they buy the house thinking that they can afford the low payment that the mortgage broker sells them on, not realizing that they're going to have problems down the road when the rates ratchet up and the principal also kicks in. Of course, they were also counting on the massive appreciation of recent years to continue as well, which it obviously hasn't.

Bob

Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
I am often amazed at all these big houses that people in NJ are building and buying. If you are one of these people, can i ask what exactly you do for a living to be able to afford a 500k house.Maybe i will get into that field

=============

Hmmmmm I do not have a $500K home yet maybe in my next life but when I do I will definitely give you a holla...just in case you do before me, give me a shout out so I can follow in your steps as well..!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:55 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Bear in mind that alot of the people who bought those $500k houses can't afford them- they've got interest-only ARM loans that have come due now, or are coming due shortly, and many of these folks are now facing foreclosure. That's why the mortgage companies have tightened the lending requirements again, and you're starting to see "normal" loans and interest rates again.

For the people who "sorta" can afford them, they spend an excessive percentage of their net incomes on their mortgage payments and property taxes, and have very little money left over for savings, 401k's, or anything else. It's truly a sad state of affairs that many people in this area have put themselves in.

Bob
True True.....the new Starter Castles where I live that USED to be acres of woods.....I have yet to see 1 moving truck with furniture show up....2 years later and the windows are still bare

Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM

34,910 posts, read 56,885,111 times
A family would need to make about $150k per year to afford a $500k home. That is not that difficult for two working professionals in a state with incomes like NJ. Jay

Old 07-19-2007, 02:05 PM

11 posts, read 44,055 times
It's a combination of high incomes, combined incomes, and living in a house with a very large mortgage.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,082 times
Default No, not everyone Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Bob
Not everyone, not me, not my neighbors, not my friends. I have heard these horror stories though.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:08 PM

687 posts, read 3,250,586 times
Wall Street and Big Four accounting firms.

Sure, there are people that overspend, but there are plenty of people in NY/NJ who can legitimately afford McMansions.

Last edited by juliann1977; 07-19-2007 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey