Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

81 posts, read 140,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrz77 View Post
I actually had a friend that lived very close to that area. I’ve been there at 3am and 8pm and always felt safe. He had a BMW that he always parked outside and never had a problem. I believe when you work closer towards the reservoir, the area does become a sketchier (not sure how far you have to walk for this to happen though).

Everybody's definition of safe is different. Did you ask your realtor her opinion? Do you see bars on windows and/or stores? Do you feel safe walking around there? Why don't you take a drive through there at night and a walk around there during the day. Ask people you see walking around there what they think of the area.
No bars on windows or anything like that. I drove by last night and it seemed ok. I have a BMW also but not for long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,058,288 times
I have a friend there. It worked for them, but now they have a kid who is two years old so they are anticipating having to move soon. They bought a while back and expected more "gentrification" than what has happened so far, but they don't seem unhappy other than the school situation.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I have a friend there. It worked for them, but now they have a kid who is two years old so they are anticipating having to move soon. They bought a while back and expected more "gentrification" than what has happened so far, but they don't seem unhappy other than the school situation.
this sounds about right to me. if the economic rug wasn't pulled from under everyone's feet, that area looked like a steal in 04, 05, 06. Hoboken was running out of space, the Jersey City waterfront was chugging along pretty rapidly expanding out past Grove Street, and that light rail elevator did wonders for a couple streets up in the Heights. I think it will take a little while, but the continued improvements on those blocks will happen. houses will start remodeling again, etc etc. If they could bring the schools along a little quicker...they could start stealing Hoboken residents that want a bit more space for a bit less money, but don't really want to go full suburbs yet. That city has an amazing opportunity to do everything Hoboken didn't (open space, improve schools). See if they squander it though.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 AM

412 posts, read 1,325,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
Thanks for the response! The house we're considering is actually right around the corner from there. I am sold on it but my girlfriend is on the fence. She keeps pointing out articles of crime right around the area and she is worried for her safety. How is Mountain Road coming up from the light rail when its dark?
I've never had a problem coming up from the light rail even when I had to to there to catch that first #123 to NY.

It gets very quiet around there and it is kinda dark which makes it creepy but if you lived in NY you will not have a problem. Just have some street sense and you will be alright.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies! We actually made an offer on the house already and are making a second offer tomorrow. I actually found out that a friend of mine lives right on Webster and Franklin, I knew he lived in JC but that's a pretty big coincidence!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:19 PM

Hi guys, so the seller accepted our offer! We're on our way to being first time home buyers, very exciting and scary at the same time. Any tips on the inspection, appraisal or anything else having to do with closing? Thanks

Old 04-23-2011, 07:18 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
Hi guys, so the seller accepted our offer! We're on our way to being first time home buyers, very exciting and scary at the same time. Any tips on the inspection, appraisal or anything else having to do with closing? Thanks
Use an independent inspector, not someone the realtor suggests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey