U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,065 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Im moving to NJ sometime April-June of next year and am still trying to decide which part of Jersey best suits me. I will be working in Manhattan therefore I need to move to a location with accessible public transport. Although I will be having a car, I wouldnt mind driving to a train station and commuting from there onwards. Since I will be just starting off, my preferred rent range is $1300 max. I wouldn't mind dealing with a max of 40 minute train ride to NY. Im just looking for a nicer, safe, area to move into...Any ideas?

Last edited by Global Friend; 07-21-2007 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: see pm
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:28 PM

2,882 posts, read 5,789,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by `LeLe View Post
Hi,

Im moving to NJ sometime April-June of next year and am still trying to decide which part of Jersey best suits me. I will be working in Manhattan therefore I need to move to a location with accessible public transport. Although I will be having a car, I wouldnt mind driving to a train station and commuting from there onwards. Since I will be just starting off, my preferred rent range is $1300 max. I've been made aware that the closer to NYC you live, the more ghetto the area therefore I wouldn't mind dealing with a max of 40 minute train ride to NY. Im just looking for a nicer, safe, area to move into...Any ideas?
Hello,

If you check towns in Central NJ (Edison, Woodbridge, etc) you could perhaps drive to Metropark in Iselin and I believe the train ride is about 30-40 min to the city. There are nice areas closer to NYC but they'll most likely fetch higher rent prices. Some towns like South Orange have nice village areas with a train station that'll whisk you to NYC. $1300 won't get you the best but you may find something you like depending on your needs/wants etc
Good luck

Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 PM

11 posts, read 30,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Hello,

If you check towns in Central NJ (Edison, Woodbridge, etc) you could perhaps drive to Metropark in Iselin and I believe the train ride is about 30-40 min to the city. There are nice areas closer to NYC but they'll most likely fetch higher rent prices. Some towns like South Orange have nice village areas with a train station that'll whisk you to NYC. $1300 won't get you the best but you may find something you like depending on your needs/wants etc
Good luck
I agree! Metuchen, Edison, Woodbridge, iselin are all good areas, if you are looking for a 1 bed/1 bath you will be paying around that price to rent. Metuchen is about a 40 minute train ride to NY with stops. Edison has more to rent.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 5,846,708 times
Quote:
Hello,

Good luck
Agreed. Central NJ would probably be best for your commute and price range. Edison is a good location with a train service directly into NYC.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,065 times
Quote:
Hello,

Good luck
Much appreciated...I'll look into those areas...thank you.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 30,206 times
Spring Garden Apartments in New Providence (postal address is Summit for some reason) are under $1300 for a 2 bedroom. They always have 1 bedrooms avail. The train station is a stones throw away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>