Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:33 PM

35 posts, read 108,857 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated here from Chicago where they have fantastic Mexican food. We can't find anything other than chains (On the Border, Marita's). We like these a lot, but would like to find the more authentic restaurants we were used to in the city. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,288 times
Cranford had one on North Ave. that was supposed to be great.. I think it's called Salsa's.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:28 PM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
Jose's In Warren is very good. Mayan cooking is their specialty.

E

Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 PM

11 posts, read 34,827 times
Default Not Too Many

The restaurant in cranford was for years my favorite place to eat out. Sadly, it closed over the summer. Now there are not very many options in my area for great mexican. Beana's in rahway is decent, but not spectacular. Tinga's in westfield is not particularly impressive either. There are tons of great places in the city though and I'm sure outside of my area there are a few gems just waiting to be found.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:08 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
ElMeson, ElFamiliar, Mi Lindo Mexico, Restaurante Y Taqueria Munoz in Freehold. Juanito's, Carlos O'Connor, Fiesta Mexicana in Red Bank. Acapulqueno, El Rancho Mexican in Long Branch are all very good. There are dozens more here in Monmouth County.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:19 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
Jose Tejas on Rt1 in woodbridge is good but its tex-mex/cajun and draws a fairly large college crowd. Central Jerzy is not a very hispanic area so your not going to find ALOT of good restaurants. Unlike Chicago where you have a HUGE hispanic population.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:18 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
It's more Western NJ, but still Central...Casa Maya in High Bridge.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:24 PM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
Casa Comida in Long Branch is our go-to Central Jersey Mexican restaurant. Good stuff. Our favorite in NJ is Baja in Hoboken.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM

6 posts, read 23,242 times
Thumbs up The BEST Mexican Hole-in-a-wall

I'd try Beana's in Rahway. It's on a major road, but the ambiance inside is great - it's a little Mexican hole in the wall with Mariachi music and flea market furniture but it is more authentic than the fast-food chains.

BUT the BEST mexican food I have ever had in NJ BY FAR is from a tiny little restaurant in Newark (on Ferry St in the Ironbound area) called Mi Pequeno Mexico - I go to school in Newark and interned with a Judge in the area and we would always pick up from there - the food is amazing, totally authentic and the recipes are very different from what you will find in any of the fast food Mex places - they serve flautas, huaraches, homemade tamales, and tons of other greats - they have great dessert and Mexican sodas. I've never actually dined in - it's very spanish centered - not many americans inside and the restaurant is very very very small but I would call and get a menu faxed over, and if you are in the area pick up (the ironbound is not like the rest of newark and you can feel safe driving in or walking around). I think the food is awesome and I've been to Mexico several times and haven't had food as tasty. Hope this helps - and if you are really jonesing for Mex, venture out and try this place!!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
Casa Comida in Long Branch is our go-to Central Jersey Mexican restaurant. Good stuff. Our favorite in NJ is Baja in Hoboken.
Give Acapulqueno on Broadway a shot. You won't be disapointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey