U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 05:43 AM

31,629 posts, read 71,950,629 times

Advertisements

Way to go Nick! It's hard to believe that so many of your fellow Garden Staters are so unconcerned about this corruption, even going so far as to insult you! Let me say something folks---If NJ officials turned their heads when it came to something as minor as lead paint chips in a public facility potentially causing health hazards, then what else will they likewise try to "sweep under the rug?" While I was recently considering a move to Sussex County for employment concerns, your allegations, coupled with the indifference of this forum and steep housing prices have steered me clear of what would have been a huge mistake! I'm just going to commute from the safety of the Scranton Area, as so many others do. I wish you the best of luck in your continued fight against your oppressors; I just hope you realize what a potentially DANGEROUS position you are putting you and your loved ones in by basically blackmailing public officials in NJ! By sharing your story with hundreds of others on City-Data, you are basically putting a "black eye" on NJ government. Please be careful of those sniper rifles, my comrade! YIKES!
Rate this post positively

Old 08-28-2006, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
One thing I don't understand; you left.... so why are you still so upset and belligerent about it now? You live in the utopia that is Florida so NJ can't oppress you any more. Just let it go.
I think CorruptNJ is still allowing this issue to fester around in his mind because he doesn't want the future negligence of NJ officials to lead to the injury or wrongful death of anyone else. If I were to have this same problem, I'd still feel obligated to protect the unsuspecting public from its own civic leaders, even if I were 1,000 miles away in Punta Gorda! We have political corruption here in the Scranton Area as well, but it's only in the harmless way of officials giving cushy jobs to their unqualified political hack buddies. In NJ, the complete indifference expressed by the government towards the lead paint chip exposure in Cape May could have lead to serious injury or even death if a passing child were to pick up and consume some of those chips!

Some of us just feel the urge to become public "stewards" of sorts when we see something going awry. I've been ranting and raving all over the Scranton Area about how the unchecked approval of urban sprawl here is harming our environment, clogging our roadways, and causing our inner cities to collapse. Nick's mission involves alerting the public to unqualified and inept government while my mission involves directing the public to make wiser decisions in order to preserve open space for future generations. I guess you can say that Nick and myself are both "men on missions", and I would be grateful for his bravado in taking on a state government of political filth instead of angered by him "making NJ look bad." Allow me to let you all in on a little secret---All of America already thinks negatively about NJ! You should see the way people in Scranton, mostly the Jersey transplants, talk about NJ! YIKES! People already suspected political corruption occurring daily in NJ, so why is it offensive for someone to finally point it out to the public as a whistleblower?

Old 08-28-2006, 08:48 AM

543 posts, read 1,392,337 times
Hon, YOU should hear how some of my friends talk about the hicks from Scranton. Please don't join the anti-NJ bandwagon, you'll never win. Just get over it, NJ can afford to lose people, because there are people waiting in line to replace them. The housing prices wouldn't be so high if nobody wanted to live here. And as for CorruptNJ, I understand why he's upset, but why doesn't he take a case to the EPA or sue the State of NJ or something, rather than abuse the innocent residents here. We're sick of hearing NJ being bashed!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2006, 09:38 AM

86 posts, read 266,103 times
Thanks Scranton!

Others such as njchick just don't get it. It's the ignorance of people like her that allows the State to continually get away with these things.

It's not about NJ as a place or the people it's about a government that willingly lets their own expose the public to deady toxins. Who will strip a person of their rights under thw law to punish them for trying to do what they should have done. Something! Anything!

I wonder what njchick would do if her child was sick and multiple tests could not determine why. Even if for some reason a lead test was performed she would be clueless as to where the lead came from.

Did you know the following facts about lead?

FACT: Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they are born.

FACT: Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.

FACT: You can get lead in your body by breathing or swallowing lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips containing lead.

FACT: You have many options for reducing lead hazards. In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.

FACT: Removing lead-based paint improperly can increase the danger to your family.

Lead is even more dangerous to children than adults because:

Babies and young children often put their hands and other objects in their mouths. These objects can have lead dust on them.

Children's growing bodies absorb more lead.

Children's brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the damaging effects of lead.

If not detected early, children with high levels of lead in their bodies can suffer from:

Damage to the brain and nervous system

Behavior and learning problems (such as hyperactivity)

Slowed growth

Hearing problems

Headaches

Lead is also harmful to adults. Adults can suffer from:

Difficulties during pregnancy

Other reproductive problems (in both men and women)

High blood pressure

Digestive problems

Nerve disorders

Memory and concentration problems

Muscle and joint pain

Last edited by corruptnj; 08-28-2006 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 AM

Actually, I'm well aware of how people in NJ/NYC regard us as being redneck hicks. Do I like it? No. Do I resent the fact that many of the residents of the Garden and Empire States clog our roadways with tourist traffic, use our services, and then go home and badmouth our culture? Of course. Personally, I can't understand why people in NJ claim that PA is such an "inferior state", yet you can't travel five feet in Scranton without bumping into a car with a NJ license plate! You can't have your cake and eat it too! Either start respecting us as cultural equals, or get the heck out of our state!

How would you like it if tourists from PA clogged Newark or Hackensack or Parsippany and then did nothing but bad-mouth you as soon as they returned? You'd be very upset, and that same sentiment can be found amongst those of us here in NEPA as well. If you want to come and experience our state for all it has to offer, then I welcome you with open arms! If you're just coming here to gawk at how "backwards" we live, then don't even bother. I have so many friends who have iPods, Blackberries, multiple cell phones, PDAs, MP3s, a favorite Starbucks frappachino, etc. that I find it ridiculous for people from NJ to continually label us as "gun-totin' hicks!"

Is it true that all NJ people are materialistic snobs who care more about *****ing over their neighbors to get ahead than they do getting to know them better as friends and confidants? Definitely not! Is it true that all PA people drink Budweiser all day, support the Confederacy, chew tobacco, hunt, fish, beat their wives, and don't hold college degrees? Of course not! Why can't we all just agree, as both Pennsylvanians and New Jersians that neither stereotype is appropriate for either state!

Old 08-28-2006, 10:01 AM

By the way, I don't at all support stereotypes. As a minority myself who has had to endure more than my fair share of verbal Neo-Nazi threats here in Scranton (Once again NOT indicative of the city as a whole!), I despise people who find humor in trying to belittle others. All I'm saying is that I'm tired of the droves of people from NJ who are moving here for inexpensive real estate without researching our region's cultural amenities (Which obviously DO pale in comparison to those in Metro-NYC), and then acting like miserable chlidren over being "tricked!" NOBODY forced you people to rush into buying a house over the phone or the internet, so I don't want to hear people complaining about the region!

Personally, I love living in Scranton! We're convenient to Philly and NYC without all of the crime issues, we have many excellent colleges, parks, minor-league sports, a symphony, Broadway shows, concerts, museums, etc. I hate seeing so many people moving to Monroe County, just to our south, and then kvetching all day and all night about their "big mistake!" If you had taken the time IN THE FIRST PLACE to adequately research cultural offerings, traffic concerns, crime issues, etc., then perhaps you would not have made the plunge so hastily! Instead of moving from NJ to PA and trying to "urbanize" the Poconos so that they become a "better" NJ, why not try to experience living in PA the way it was meant to be? Thank you.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Well as long as the NJ bashing public, such as you, continue to use stereotypes such as NJ being a toxic waste dump, corrupt, and a Soprano charicature, then don't expect others to give you the same consideration. I had been reading this forum for quite some time before it deteriorated because those who moved out of state have to come back and dump there toxic (no pun intended) thoughts on us. We have heard the negativity.. yes, NJ has political problems, DUH, and if you read the papers, the majority of New Jerseyans are ready for change. We too, are sick of corruption and it is going to be a huge undertaking to clean up the NJ government and solve the problems we have with property taxes, etc. (I could go on about, however, the fact that the property taxes are high because NJ has smaller school districts, and to me, this adds to the fact that NJ has many of the best school systems in the country) There are plusses and minuses in every situation. What I resent is out of state people judging us when they don't live here. To jump on the bandwagon and state "you should here what people are saying about, NJ, and what the rest of the country thinks of NJ. , is adding to stereotyping. Don't forget, I don't see anyone here going on to other forums and being so overtly hostile and negative as some of the posters here from other forums have been.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:38 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,538,469 times
Wow, all new stuff to me! I was born and raised in Jersey and never heard anyone bad mouth PA! Personally, I love PA. Sorry you've had such bad experiences with stereotyping.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:47 AM

Well, maybe it's northern NJ that does that

Old 08-28-2006, 11:00 AM

NC, I normally never stereotype people, I look at people for who they are. Unfortunately, the Jersey bashers are not doing that, so I'm just giving them a taste of their own medicine, that's all. I find it interesting that the hick statement was considered harsh, when all I've been reading on this forum are insults mostly from people who don't live here anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey