Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:46 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftang View Post
hi seque5tra, thanks so much for a detailed answer. I really learnt. the house I am interested is located near south livingston ave and northfield road. From your description it seems to be the "Northfield Center". I was hoping for a 5 minute walk to a bus stop, and then just sleep until I am in NYC. As you described, it will be the "local" 77 line, does this "local" 77 bus take a lot longer to get into NYC than the express? Does it stop a whole bunch of places after the "Northfield Center"? also if you don't mind me asking, when coming back from Port Authority, so I have to ask the driver if the bus is a "local" one that will stop at the "Northfield Center"? Thanks again.
If your house is located near South Livingston Ave. and Northfield Rd., you will have 2 bus stops nearby:

• South Livingston Ave., in front of the Regal Bank across from the Shop Rite.
  • "Northfield Center"

Below is Google maps satellite view of that area. The street I tagged with RED is South Livingston Ave. The street I tagged with GREEN is Northfield Ave.

That big white structure on the right is Shop Rite (which I marked with the Shop Rite logo), and the two BLUE dots mark the bus stops. The blue dot by the red line is the bus stop in front of the Regal Bank. The blue dot by the green line is the "Northfield Center" bus stop (again, there's a bus shelter for this stop). Note the specific side of the street where I placed the blue dots. That was deliberate.

This should give you a pretty accurate idea of how much walking you'll have to do to get to the bus stop. I think a 5-minute walk sounds about right for a house located near this intersection.

And yes, if you get on a bus at one of these 2 stops, it would be the local one. Does it take much longer than the express? NO, not for you. You are getting on near Northfield Center...that means that you avoid the Tour de Livingston that happens before the bus gets to Northfield Center (i.e. all the stops along Mt. Pleasant Ave. and South Livingston Ave.).

After the bus picks you up at Northfield Center, you will ride through a few more stops along Northfield Ave., including the West Orange Arena.

Now for the reverse commute: A lot of times, you will probably see 2 different lines of people forming for the #77 bus at the #77 bus gate in the Port Authority. These 2 different lines should be marked with signs...I haven't ridden in a while, but if I remember correctly, they'll say something like "5:00 West Orange Arena" or "5:10 Essex Green". You are going to want to pick up a paper schedule of the #77 (you can get one either on the bus or at one of the Port Authority info booths or the ticket agent).

The bus driver doesn't come out until the very minute the bus is about to leave. But there will be people waiting on line. Ask them. Don't feel funny about asking...best thing is to ask "Does this go to Northfield Center?". If you start in with the "local" and "express" business, everyone gets confused. Every single day people used to ask me "Is this the line for the bus that goes to Northfield Center/Livingston Center/the arena/Essex Green?" It's not the most straight forward set up, so no one's gonna be surprised if you ask questions. ALSO, when the bus driver does come out to collect tickets, when you get up to him, confirm with him as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcbill View Post
  • If you expect to get a seat on the bus stop at Northfield center you are kidding yourself. This is the last stop on the route and is often filled by then. You have a much better chance of a seat if you get on the bus on RT 10 or North Livingston Ave. Beware, you will NOT be able to drive to that end of town and park your car on a side street. The side streets all have restricted parking, your car will be towed if parked off hours. Livingston passed an ordinance a few years ago to address the problem of commuter parking on back roads. good luck with your decision.
  • Bill
Wow, I didn't realize the bus got so crowded in the morning. I think you are probably talking about the buses closer to real rush hour, though. I used to have to be at my desk and logged in by 7:45 AM sharp, so I took the 6:25 from Livingston Center. This bus was still half empty by the time we got to Northfield Center. Most times, we'd even have a few empty seats left over even AFTER we had picked up everyone at the West Orange Arena. There were only a handful of times where there was a shortage of seats on this bus and a few people from the Arena herd had to stand.

ftang has to be in the office by 7:30, so I don't think he'll have any issues with seats.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 02-06-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I know DeCamp has a bus from Cody Arena in West Orange to NYC. That's right on Northfield Ave. and would be a quick drive from Livingston. And they have parking available at the arena - not sure about cost.
Yep, the #77 Community Coach stops there as well.

ftang, if you want to create a super express bus ride for yourself, and you don't care about paying extra for parking, you can drive to the Arena like ansky says, park, and take the bus from there. Not sure how much parking costs, though.

The other way to create a super express bus ride is to drive to Essex Green shopping plaza, park, and take the bus from there. You are NOT supposed to park in the Essex Green lot, but it's free...however, you take a risk doing this. FYI, I know people that do this on a daily basis and all they've gotten was a note on the windshield threatening to tow, but they never do. I've done it too and I've never had an issue.

There are also some shopping plaza parking lots in Livingston where people park...again, you are not supposed to do this, but people don't really get in trouble at all. sbcbill is right, though---you can NOT park on any side streets.

But if you live near a bus stop and can walk to one, it would really be easiest just to do that. The bus is clean and quiet. It's a great place to nap, read, work.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 PM

17 posts, read 108,690 times
Thanks so much seque5tra. Yes I think I will be getting on the bus before 6:30. Hopefully the bus is not filled up yet. I will explore the option in codey arena.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:31 PM

67 posts, read 343,894 times
Nah, I'm not oversimplifying it really is that simple.

To begin, I did this exact commute all of 2010 until October.

1. Since you're leaving before 6:30, you'll beat the traffic hard. It will be a breeze. The traffic on 280 doesn't begin until 8, but that's only at the at continuing 280 exit, if traffic is bad just go to first st and drive through downtown.

2. The outdoor parking is $12 a day. But if you're going to be in by 6:30, there will be plenty of free spots open on McWhorter St, Union St, all the way to New York ave. And beyond. From any of these points is a very very short walk.

3. Going to harrison isn't a bad option, but that's those extra few minutes of driving, and you won't get good dibs on a seat on the path, since it gets filled to the brim at newark.

4. Livingston is a very small town, it never takes long to get to 280. If you want to be more direct just take route 10 (mt pleasant ave) to MLK avenue directly into NWK

Like I said, I did this almost a whole year, and I was amazingly happy that it turns out to be such a simple commute (I had to get to 14th st. Daily)

Old 06-05-2011, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,050 times
Hey, sorry to bump. I just found this thread. Great information!

I understand there is a park and ride at the mall, but I wanted to know if there is anywhere to park near Livingston Circle. I don't mind the legality of it so much as long as it isn't risky. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post

I understand there is a park and ride at the mall, but I wanted to know if there is anywhere to park near Livingston Circle. I don't mind the legality of it so much as long as it isn't risky. Thanks.
No need use NJT local 73 to the orange train station or to newark. The bus runs express on 280 and when it doesnt its ride to the station is so short that the drive is unnessesary. Rail passes work on buses at no extra charge so forget the 77. knowing ur location ur probably walking distance from a bus that takes you directly to the station. depending on where u are u can use 71 to the train. Dont even bother with the drive.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftang View Post
Thanks so much seque5tra. Yes I think I will be getting on the bus before 6:30. Hopefully the bus is not filled up yet. I will explore the option in codey arena.
you can just use NJT 73 to the NJT train.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
No need use NJT local 73 to the orange train station or to newark. The bus runs express on 280 and when it doesnt its ride to the station is so short that the drive is unnessesary. Rail passes work on buses at no extra charge so forget the 77. knowing ur location ur probably walking distance from a bus that takes you directly to the station. depending on where u are u can use 71 to the train. Dont even bother with the drive.
Um, NO.

Why would somebody take a NJ Transit bus to Newark when they are trying to get into NYC?

The #77 takes you directly into NYC.

The bus stop locations in Livingston for the NJ Transit #71 and #73 and the Community Coach #77 are all THREE located in the same locations that I already listed in this thread. That is why when I give people advice about the #77 on this forum I tell them to make sure the bus says #77 on the outside because all three buses stop at the same stops. There are not additional #71 and #73 NJ Transit bus stops that are magically easier to get to.

As for the #71 and #73 bus ride from Livingston to Newark being "so short", define "so short". It took me 20 minutes to drive my CAR from Livingston to Harrison/Newark and that's with all the traffic lights on my side, while driving as the crow flies, to 280, and then breaking the speed limit all the way down 280 to the train station.

If I were driving a BUS, as opposed to a car...a bus that is required to stop at bus stops and pick up passengers...it would take me, oh, I don't know...double the time? Yes, that's right. Double the time. NJ Transit #73 bus schedule confirms---40-50 minutes to get from Livingston to Newark Penn Station between 6-10 AM. The #71 bus takes even longer. Even if the bus made NO stops and only picked ME up in front of MY house, it would still take it more than the 20 minutes it takes me to drive my car NASCAR style. It's a bus.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post

The park & ride at the Livingston Mall is OK, but not ideal. There are only a handful of buses that service that stop. Also, the Livingston Mall parking lot is not the safest place to leave a car parked all day, everyday.

As for the Livingston Circle, there is nowhere nearby to park your car. My tip to you---take the #77 from a popular spot either by the town center or Northfield center. While you and everyone else is waiting for the bus, ask where people park. Then, follow suit. You can also park at the Oval (the public library/LHS complex. All kinds of people park there...library patrons, students, joggers, power walkers, town employees, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey