Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 06:04 AM

10 posts, read 85,562 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here had any experience with Home Depot installing carpet in their home. My Mom needs capet and this deal they offer looks pretty good. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
One of my law professors told a veritable horror story about the carpet installers from Home Depot. After repeatedly phoning her on installation day to say that they would be "a little bit late" for her scheduled 2:00 PM carpet installation, the installers eventually showed up at her home around 10:00 PM to begin a job that would have taken at least 3 hours to complete!

Because she has a young child, she would not allow them to begin their noisy installation work at that late hour. She cancelled her contract with Home Depot as a result of their bizarre scheduling for installation.

It should be noted that there are undoubtedly different installers for each Home Depot store, so her experience may not be typical. However, I did want to share her tale of woe in connection with a Home Depot store in Hunterdon County.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM

93 posts, read 685,697 times
They certainly are not cheaper than your corner carpet store, That whole house installation for $99 is a gimmick. Thier pad prices are 3 times what a local store charges. The deal is only good on special orde carpet etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Depot Carpet Install-2499nstall-1-.jpg  

Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Home Depot does not employ installers- they subcontract it, often to the same folks that install for locally owned stores. When we were finishing our basement, we got pricing from Home Depot and Lowes, and also from the local carpet store. The local store was almost 10% lower, and they were a pleasure to deal with. At the big box stores, you're often dealing with a person who was working in the paint department the week before, and just finished the 1-hour training video on flooring- not exactly a flooring pro.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:24 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,430 times
I had HomeDepot install my carpet for basement with Berber. No issues! Excellent job. On time and took 2 days. Cheaper than local stores.

I also used Homedepot for Blind installation and Fence Installation. All went fine. All were cheaper than everything else.

Homedepot offers promotions that include no interest for one year! I make monthly payments and pay in full in month 12. Works out great!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
They certainly are not cheaper than your corner carpet store, That whole house installation for $99 is a gimmick. Thier pad prices are 3 times what a local store charges. The deal is only good on special orde carpet etc.
That ad is wrong. I had stairs in my basement and there was no extra charge. It was a flat rate.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 PM

10 posts, read 85,562 times
Thanks for the input.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:35 PM

I did pay extra for their 'premium pad' (better for moisture) because I was putting berber in basement. Their premium pad makes it so much more cushier and comfortable to walk on. I bought their commercial grade berber which was one of the cheapest prices and very very happy. No tears or strands pulling up after a 1 Year+.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM

93 posts, read 685,697 times
Actual complaint from a customer.....

[RIGHT] 0 [/RIGHT]

We recently had a similar experience with a Home Depot in Traverse City, MI. Anticipating additional charges for the to-good-to-be-true $96 advertised installation price, I pulled up all of the old carpeting, removed all doors and completely emptied all rooms that were to have new carpeting installed.

We were then told that the old linoleum must be removed for an additional charge of $425 despite the fact that the old carpeting had lasted decades on top of the linoleum. Being a former carpet installer, I knew this was ridiculous but Home Depot refused to install the carpeting without the removal of the vinyl. I then stated that I would do that as well.

We left the store undecided, but when I reviewed our quote at home I noticed a charge for a second installation at $325. After calling on this I was told that that was for installation of the pad – this worked out to more than $3 per yard to install carpet pad. Ridiculous.

I then said that I would put down the pad as well but I was told that the Home Depot installers would not install the carpet down unless they also did the pad. I appreciate the fact that people need to make a buck, but this whole game is deceptive and disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey