Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:08 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
public education offers a means for society to educate it's population and create a more advanced work force with the skills and knowledge to make the society a better place. that's the principle for public funded education. everyone has enjoyed the benefits of this system whether they sent kids to school or never had kids.
Spoken like a parent. Isn't it great that the 98% of the population that has had kids can extract money from the 2% who haven't had kids to help them pay for their little darlings education, daycare, hospital stays, etc.? You even get "maternety leave", but it's not enough, you have to squeeze the folks that never had kids (or whose kids are grown and who are on fixed incomes) too.

I'd suggest the majority could pay for the true cost of their kids without involving that 2%, (and possibly the folks on fixed incomes too) and society wouldn't suffer a difference, but I know how much Americans like subsidies, so that will never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Spoken like a parent. Isn't it great that the 98% of the population that has had kids can extract money from the 2% who haven't had kids to help them pay for their little darlings education, daycare, hospital stays, etc.? You even get "maternety leave", but it's not enough, you have to squeeze the folks that never had kids (or whose kids are grown and who are on fixed incomes) too.

I'd suggest the majority could pay for the true cost of their kids without involving that 2%, (and possibly the folks on fixed incomes too) and society wouldn't suffer a difference, but I know how much Americans like subsidies, so that will never happen.
people love having other people pay for their expenses. then all the sudden its a public good and everyone must contribute. you figure ill only have kids in public school for 16 years or so each, but im expected to pay for public school for about 60 years of my life.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I'm a parent so I'm sure my comment will be dismissed, but there are real tangible benefits gained by the whole for education. One of the most noticeable is that the vast majority of towns with good school systems also enjoy higher property values, quicker turnover in housing, lower crime, etc.

I do happen to believe that educating children is the "villages" responsibility. I'm sure those who feel differently will never be swayed by arguments so I'll leave it at that.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
One of the most noticeable is that the vast majority of towns with good school systems also enjoy higher property values
i believe that the residents in those expensive homes are more responsible for the quality of the school system than the school's administration. my town has a highly ranked school system and im sure the teacher's think they must be so wonderful, but i think it has more to do with the fact that the people who pay 700k+ for their homes value education and raise good kids.

i dont think the debate is whether or not education benefits society. its more along the lines of, if education benefits society should society spread its expense to everyone and have the government operate it.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post

actually, it's spoken from someone who went to private school my entire life. did you?

Old 02-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
actually, it's spoken from someone who went to private school my entire life. did you?
very generous of your parents to pay for your education twice.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think the debate is whether or not education benefits society. its more along the lines of, if education benefits society should society spread its expense to everyone and have the government operate it.
Well, a lot of things fall under the auspices of the greater good. Things that broadly benefit and enrich all of society. In that case the expense should be shared and who but government is going to facilitate it?

Then there are entitlements that are nothing more than "feel good" programs that do not benefit the greater society. These programs tax the many to help the few. Those ones I have issue with.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, a lot of things fall under the auspices of the greater good. Things that broadly benefit and enrich all of society. In that case the expense should be shared and who but government is going to facilitate it?
i only think the expense should be shared when these things cant be easily assigned to the users (like the military). in the case of education, its pretty easy to see who is using the system. goes back to my food example. im sure we agree that the greater good is served by everyone eating food but i dont think we would agree that the cost of everyones food should be spread among everyone and food delivery managed by the government.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i only think the expense should be shared when these things cant be easily assigned to the users (like the military). in the case of education, its pretty easy to see who is using the system. goes back to my food example. im sure we agree that the greater good is served by everyone eating food but i dont think we would agree that the cost of everyones food should be spread among everyone and food delivery managed by the government.
I can see your argument. I just don't agree that education falls under something that should be user based. Education does benefit the society at large, so the cost should be shared.

The food example is a bit extreme, but I suppose in a way I do think it is societies job to educate a child, but it isn't necessarily societies job to feed them.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:11 AM

i think that i should at least have the right to take that money back from my property taxes that goes to public school and apply it to private school if i choose to send my child to a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey