U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,918,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
lol in the winter i can go 3-4 days easy without taking a shower! but i do not show up in person for my job.

we just bought a 650 sq ft condo coming from a 850 sq ft house with 450 sq ft finished basement, garage and shed. I feel so much less stressed in the condo. So much less crap to shuffle around, find homes for etc. it is just clean and simple. have what you need and want and not a ton of extra junk.

our old house is not too cheap to heat... maybe up to $250/month in the winter.
Do you have kids? 650 with kids could make you crazy. It's doable, but not necessarily fun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,918,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think more important than overall size is layout. This has been hashed out in quite a few different threads on the real estate forum. I'd take a well laid out 1,200 over a poorly laid out 1,800. I guess the point is that size isn't necessarily the ultimate determiner. My house is 2,200 for a family of 5 and has a great layout, so it feels bigger than it actually is. When we were shopping there were houses that were larger in our budget, but the layout just wasn't as good.

As for why homes are getting bigger, I think those reasons have been well spelled out. I don't think it's a change in peoples attitudes as much as it has been a change in what we put in our homes and how much "stuff" people have these days.
I don't know. I think 1800 is usually going to feel better than 1200. There's not much you can even do with a 1200 sf layout.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:38 AM

5,440 posts, read 16,169,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Do you have kids? 650 with kids could make you crazy. It's doable, but not necessarily fun.
we have a baby and a dog...

we'd probably move up eventually to a 3 bedroom. right now it is no big deal.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 AM

12,285 posts, read 34,324,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
we have a baby and a dog...

we'd probably move up eventually to a 3 bedroom. right now it is no big deal.
i did a 650 sq condo with 2 toddlers for about 7 months. totally doable and looking back, very liberating.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,515,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I don't know. I think 1800 is usually going to feel better than 1200. There's not much you can even do with a 1200 sf layout.
my apartment in Hoboken was around 1200 sq ft. all i gained really in my home is a dining room that i'll hardly ever use, a sunroom and a den that i'll also not use much, and a bedroom that will be used. the apartment had a great layout though so it felt bigger than it was. love my house, but there's a lot of extra space in it right now.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM

79,321 posts, read 73,293,195 times
Also, people used their houses for sleeping and eating and shelter, not for entertainment. Even when I was a kid (in the 1960's) we weren't allowed to stay in the house after school and sit and watch TV if it was nice out. People watch a lot more TV now, not to mention the fact that now you can watch movies at home.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 AM

79,321 posts, read 73,293,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
people also shouldn't bother washing their hair every day, but that only became common when advertising convinced people they needed to shampoo and contioner regularly. it's actually bad for your scalp to wash it every day. try convincing someone of that today and they'll never be able to admit it, because they've been sold the idea that they will smell and be greasy if they don't. but then ask a good hair stylist what he/she thinks...
I once read, and I don't know if it's true or not, that one of the most brilliant marketing ideas anyone ever came up with was adding the word "Repeat" after the instructions on the shampoo bottle.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,238,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I once read, and I don't know if it's true or not, that one of the most brilliant marketing ideas anyone ever came up with was adding the word "Repeat" after the instructions on the shampoo bottle.
LOL! Yes, I've heard this, too. Many years ago.

Seems plausible!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:39 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,499,646 times
Quote:
That's right up there with Alka-Seltzer. You really just needed to take one, but then they came up with the sone ... plop-plop fizz-fizz, and presto double the consumption.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,515,423 times
Quote:
i wouldn't doubt it for a second. but i'd say the greatest marketing idea was convincing people to use it daily in the first place. repeat was just building on the stupidity they realized already existed! haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey