U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:47 PM

158 posts, read 568,000 times

Advertisements

As much as I like nice (re: expensive) things and general abundance, I'm finding that the more stuff you own, the more stress you have. There is more a chance of things to break (money for repairs, replacement, stress of things not working, etc.) and just general more headache. I would love to simplify and just have very basic things but I'm admittably apprehensive. One of the best feelings, even though I was making less money than I am now, was a simple job I had with a uniform. There was virtually no job-related stress, a terribly short commute, no worry as to what to wear, and no desire or expense associated with building a wardrobe. It's very tempting to apply this same line of thinking to a house and get the minimal amount of house required.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM

5,440 posts, read 16,164,822 times
I just spent a month in the country... and of course there is reduced stress associated with that, but I think a huge factor is the amount of junk we don't have to deal with there. there is nothing to break because we have so little. we have what we need and not much more. we have no TV, dvd player, vcr, etc. in the kitchen theres only a coffee maker and toaster (aside from the oven and microwave.. no mixer, blender, etc.). dont even have a washer/dryer and we get along just fine.

I would love to be this way in NJ also, but have such a hard time getting rid of the crap we have already amassed. also, homeownership requires a lot more junk (tools, lawnmower, etc) than renting or living in a condo....

Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 AM

12,546 posts, read 20,508,659 times
[quote=joe moving;17883370]I just spent a month in the country... and of course there is reduced stress associated with that, but I think a huge factor is the amount of junk we don't have to deal with there. there is nothing to break because we have so little. we have what we need and not much more. we have no TV, dvd player, vcr, etc. in the kitchen theres only a coffee maker and toaster (aside from the oven and microwave.. no mixer, blender, etc.). dont even have a washer/dryer and we get along just fine.

I would love to be this way in NJ also, but have such a hard time getting rid of the crap we have already amassed. also, homeownership requires a lot more junk (tools, lawnmower, etc) than renting or living in a condo....[/QUOTE]

so true! the key for me so far is to take a day or two, every 3 or 6 months, and clean up and organize your stuff. if you do that often enough, you'll constantly get rid of things. my neighbor has a lot of random tools also, so i'm all about the borrowing system.definitely need to think twice when i'm about to buy something to bring into the house.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,275,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I don't know. I think 1800 is usually going to feel better than 1200. There's not much you can even do with a 1200 sf layout.
Well, it comes down to how that space is divided up, which was my implication. Maybe the extra 600 is divided between the master suite and the kitchen. That may not provide much more functionality or usable space for a family compared to what the 1,200sq.ft. place had.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM

7,178 posts, read 11,311,486 times
In my previous life (first marriage), I lived in a 3,000 sf 4 BR 2 1/2 bath newly constructed home with a finished basement on an acre of property. What a pain in the neck to clean and maintain. It took 6-7 hours to clean it top to bottom. Maintaining the property was another story in itself. With all the crap we had it still seemed like it wasn't enough room.

In my present life (second marriage), I live in a 1,700 sf 3 BR 1 1/2 bath home built in the late 1800's on a 1/2 acre of property. So much better. The only thing I really need to do was expand the master BR and closet a bit to accommodate my bedroom set and clothes. It's really true that women only had two or so dresses in the 1800's and the closets are small.

It helps that I have discarded most of the items in my life that really weren't necessary (including the first husband ). In general, people just have too much unnecessary crap these days.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM

1,527 posts, read 3,917,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
In my previous life (first marriage), I lived in a 3,000 sf 4 BR 2 1/2 bath newly constructed home with a finished basement on an acre of property. What a pain in the neck to clean and maintain. It took 6-7 hours to clean it top to bottom. Maintaining the property was another story in itself. With all the crap we had it still seemed like it wasn't enough room.

In my present life (second marriage), I live in a 1,700 sf 3 BR 1 1/2 bath home built in the late 1800's on a 1/2 acre of property. So much better. The only thing I really need to do was expand the master BR and closet a bit to accommodate my bedroom set and clothes. It's really true that women only had two or so dresses in the 1800's and the closets are small.

It helps that I have discarded most of the items in my life that really weren't necessary (including the first husband ). In general, people just have too much unnecessary crap these days.
Good post. I don't understand the obsession with "land" either unless you are going to farm on it.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:49 PM

332 posts, read 937,326 times
Interesting post-we live in a 1960s era two bedroom/one bathroom ranch with an eat-in kitchen and full basement which, for the two of us, is just fine, but we have a baby on the way so our home office now has to move. Once our basement is finished and we can move it down there we'll be in good shape. Rather than more indoor space, what we really need is more outdoor space. We have an attached garage but can't fit a car into it because the lawn tractor, log splitter, snow blower, etc...are all in there along with all of my tools. We really need a shed for that stuff (we already have a woodshed that holds 5 cords) so that I can actually do work on the cars IN the garage-especially during the cold months!

Quote:
Good post. I don't understand the obsession with "land" either unless you are going to farm on it.
Just because you want a home on a large lot and are not intending to farm it doesn't mean you're "obsessed with land." I'll agree with you that the McMansions sitting on 5 acres of nothing but grass are absurd, but what about 30 acres of trees?

-No neighbors
-Tax break for woodland assessment (essentially the state give you a tax incentive not to clear cut the land)
-Plentiful firewood
-Exclusive hunting rights

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM

12,546 posts, read 20,508,659 times
Quote:
i'd rather more land and less house any day over more house and less land.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:41 PM

5,440 posts, read 16,164,822 times
I hate grass...I would plow most of it under and grow vegetables.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM

79,165 posts, read 73,171,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'd rather more land and less house any day over more house and less land.
I'm with you. I think those big houses on a tiny plot of property look out of proportion. (And I live in a condo, lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey