Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,933 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Staten Island
Why are you moving? First Home Purchase. SI is too expensive.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Staten Island (South Shore)

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? $250,000
What kind of place are you looking for ? Detached 3br w/basement. Good sized fenced in back yard for 3 year old.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes. Wife and 3 y/o son
Do you need/want good public schools? Definitely

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): Safe, family oriented, friendly area with low foot traffic.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Safety, short commute to Staten Island via Outerbridge, neighbors that take care of their houses (nice rural curb appeal throughout).

Hello all,

I am new to the site and am looking for a bit of advice in narrowing down my choice of neighborhood for a new home purchase. I outlined what I am looking for in the above template (thank you for that, elflord1973 and GiantRutgersfan.). I was just wondering if folks with a bit more jersey experience than myself could give some advice on the pros and cons of the following areas, to which I have narrowed my search. [One big thing I am wondering in helping narrow my search, is which roads are the best and worst for commuters out of 287, rt9, the turnpike, or the parkway? I have used them all for shopping and trips, but have no idea how the traffic is for daily commuting into staten island at 6:30am and back into jersey a little after 2pm.]

The areas I am down to:
Laurel Park neighborhood in Sayreville
Hazlet
Old Bridge
Middlesex

Monroe or Marlboro would be nice, but it's very difficult to find anything decent in my price range.

Thanks for any help, in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,437 times
I don't know anything about the towns you mentioned, but I would just add that you might want to look at 3br townhouses too, if it means you could get into a better town/school system. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherNYC View Post
Where are you coming from? Staten Island
Why are you moving? First Home Purchase. SI is too expensive.
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Staten Island (South Shore)

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? $250,000
What kind of place are you looking for ? Detached 3br w/basement. Good sized fenced in back yard for 3 year old.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes. Wife and 3 y/o son
Do you need/want good public schools? Definitely

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc): Safe, family oriented, friendly area with low foot traffic.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Safety, short commute to Staten Island via Outerbridge, neighbors that take care of their houses (nice rural curb appeal throughout).

Hello all,

I am new to the site and am looking for a bit of advice in narrowing down my choice of neighborhood for a new home purchase. I outlined what I am looking for in the above template (thank you for that, elflord1973 and GiantRutgersfan.). I was just wondering if folks with a bit more jersey experience than myself could give some advice on the pros and cons of the following areas, to which I have narrowed my search. [One big thing I am wondering in helping narrow my search, is which roads are the best and worst for commuters out of 287, rt9, the turnpike, or the parkway? I have used them all for shopping and trips, but have no idea how the traffic is for daily commuting into staten island at 6:30am and back into jersey a little after 2pm.]

The areas I am down to:
Laurel Park neighborhood in Sayreville
Hazlet
Old Bridge
Middlesex

Monroe or Marlboro would be nice, but it's very difficult to find anything decent in my price range.

Thanks for any help, in advance!

Out of those towns, I vote for Hazlet (although I don't know Sayreville.) Seems to me to be one of the towns that are improving rather than going downhill, plus they have a nice town swim club. I moved to Monmouth Co. last year and my last choices were down to Hazlet and the town where I ended up, but I don't have a school kid anymore or it would have been Hazlet definitely.

All of those roads become congested at rush hour, but at 6:30 a.m. it might not be terrible yet. At 7 it is probably worse. Coming back at 2 p.m. should be no problem.

LOL, your post made me remember coming south on the Parkway on Christmas night after visiting my mom in North Jersey--there was a HUGE backup of traffic on the northbound Parkway going toward the exit for the OBX. Since almost everyone I've met from Middletown comes from either SI or Brooklyn, that would explain it.

If you move to Monmouth County, just plan your holiday travel well! Otherwise, I'm sure you'll love it.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,933 times
Thank you for the input! I have eliminated laurel park since hazlet and old bridge seem to have better schools in the neighborhoods within my price range. I have also moved my search away from middlesex since the taxes are considerably higher and would lower my purchase price too much when compared to old bridge and hazlet (thereby giving me less for my money in the end). Overall I like hazlet a bit better than old bridge, but it seems like i can get slightly more for my money in old bridge. Either way, I think I will finally start looking at homes in person in both areas and see if any "feel right" in person, as my list is now small enough to actually make this possible!

EDIT: Any other opinions, info, or comments are still always appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey