Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I must have missed your point then. Or maybe you are not understanding mine. About half the surgeries we do are elective, and elective surgeries pay better than emergencies. Remember, if someone comes in as an emergency, I treat them whether they have insurance or not. If EVERYONE decided not to have them, or to go to someone else, I would take a 70% pay cut. I am completely reliant on the free market for my income.

when your student's parents cant pay taxes, other tax payers shoulder the burden. You dont personally teach them for free. When I treat someone without insurance, I take the hit and I am working for free. Taxpayers pay the hospital back, but I am SOL. I'm not complaining about it, as I knew about it when I chose my job. I'm only mentioning it to point out the difference between my private sector job and your public sector job.
do elective surgeries bill any differently than an emergency if the patient has insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 10:48 PM

chew on this...

Why America's teachers are enraged - CNN.com

Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the ortho group my sister works in had their best year ever in 2010. following up to their prior best year every in 2009.
She's lucky. We have seen ortho pick up this winter due to all the snow and ice, but overall, cases are still down for our guys, and that is even after adding another orthopedist group to our hospital last year.

Quote:
do elective surgeries bill any differently than an emergency if the patient has insurance?
No. But all elective surgeries have insurance, or else they wouldn't be having them at our hospital. Many emergent surgeries do not, so when you dollar cost average them you are making a lot more per elective surgery. But no, on an individual level, to patients with the same insurance will pay the same amount for the same surgery, whether emergent or not.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 AM

858 posts, read 2,995,160 times
Quote:
While the article talks to teachers and other public employees being enraged, it doesn't talk to the hardship's residents face payimg their taxes.

I just did a quick google search and on the first page there were two NJ school districts who received 2.5% and 3.25% raises in 2011 and slightly lower in the remaining 2 years.

When protesting, teachers and other public employees need to understand there are many employers who are not giving raises, so how can the taxpayers afford to pay higher taxes if they aren't getting raises?

The teachers unions need to help figure out how to fix the problems instead of continually fighting for raises, and the teachers need to force their unions to do the right thing. Tenure policies need to be revised to ensure the brightest are rewarded to include keeping the best during cuts, not just the ones with seniority.

No one likes their wages or benefits cut, but it's a harsh reality, and public employees are not imune to hard economic times.

Teaching is a job, and like any other job there are up's and down's, and in this economy, everyone who has a job need to be thankful.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,682,485 times
IMO the problem is not the salaries of teachers. One problem, as in NJ, is the generous health benefits and pensions compared to the private sector. The private sector has had to reduce health benefits costs for employees and the amount of pensions in the private sector is below 18%. Many companies have not given employees a raise in two years or more. I paid $500 a month for health insurance which was a good deal. NJ retired teachers pay nothing. The taxpayers pays for their benefits.

The teachers continue to get yearly increases, they pay next to nothing for health benefits and have a generous pension. Times have changed and the teachers benefits need to change with them. The unions are going to price themselves right out of the market.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Most of them wouldn't last a day in the private sector. These people go straight from HS, to college, to a school system. They live in la-la land.

I actually think many of them suffer from arrested development.
you are right on~!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:35 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,530,897 times
School bus aid in a sleepy little Mountain town of Jefferson township, just an aid to sit on a bus 4 hours a day, 18 dollars an hours!!! Private school bus company same job 11 dollars an hour. I know this for fact. I mean 18 dollars an hour to be an AID!!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
She's lucky. We have seen ortho pick up this winter due to all the snow and ice, but overall, cases are still down for our guys, and that is even after adding another orthopedist group to our hospital last year.

No. But all elective surgeries have insurance, or else they wouldn't be having them at our hospital. Many emergent surgeries do not, so when you dollar cost average them you are making a lot more per elective surgery. But no, on an individual level, to patients with the same insurance will pay the same amount for the same surgery, whether emergent or not.
but most plastic elective surgery isn't covered by insurance. and i know a few people personally that have had ACL repairs sans insurance...

Old 02-21-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
While the article talks to teachers and other public employees being enraged, it doesn't talk to the hardship's residents face payimg their taxes.

I just did a quick google search and on the first page there were two NJ school districts who received 2.5% and 3.25% raises in 2011 and slightly lower in the remaining 2 years.

When protesting, teachers and other public employees need to understand there are many employers who are not giving raises, so how can the taxpayers afford to pay higher taxes if they aren't getting raises?

The teachers unions need to help figure out how to fix the problems instead of continually fighting for raises, and the teachers need to force their unions to do the right thing. Tenure policies need to be revised to ensure the brightest are rewarded to include keeping the best during cuts, not just the ones with seniority.

No one likes their wages or benefits cut, but it's a harsh reality, and public employees are not imune to hard economic times.

Teaching is a job, and like any other job there are up's and down's, and in this economy, everyone who has a job need to be thankful.
i think many teachers understand the taxpayers' griefs, but they still agreed to certain things under contract years ago didn't they? also, many companies went back to giving raises and even bonuses in 2010.

i agree with what you're saying though. but i don't think teachers individually don't get these things. i think it's one of the downfalls of their particular union. but i don't think it's fair to vilify teachers either, which is what a lot of people try to do. if any one of us had a contract with our employer that guaranteed a 3% raise for each of the next 5 years, i'd love to meet the person who wouldn't argue with their employer if they went back on that contract. people might say they would, but you don't see it very often.

bottom line is, there are issues for sure, but teachers will always be needed unless people want to home school their children. and the teachers need to be good quality in good times and in bad. if we keep treating teachers like garbage, we'll never be able to convince the best and brightest to take that path.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,416,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you are right on~!!!
Another one who is now judging every single teacher. Wow you guys must really be upset at your career choices. I know I know you guy would never want to be teachers you just want to bash them because you know so much about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey