Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 AM
 
1,931 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Reputation: 956

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
bababua - first thing, please don't compare a police officer or fire fighter to a teacher again. The only thing they have in common is that they are employed by the local government.

I have to say this....I appreciate teachers for what they do...it's a job that I could never do....

That being said, I don't think that it's the teachers that are to blame. I think the first place to start pointing fingers is at the school administration. My high school had 2 principals and 2 vice-principals....companies only have 1 ceo, the US only has 1 President. If the ENTIRE COUNTRY needs only 1 president....why does a school need multiple? Seems like lots of waste right there.

And yes...teachers are contributing to their health bene's, what is it....1.5%? If I was contributing 1.5% of my salary and paying what I paid now, I'd be making over $750,000....oh yeah, I don't even have prescription covereage.

I'm not whining about it - I chose my profession. The beauty of our country is that is was founded on the basis of being changed if what we were doing didn't work....what we are doing isn't working, and needs to be changed.

I think the first place to start is pensions in general. If you have a NJ state pension and leave the state.....your pension should be adjusted based on the cost of living in that state, period. You made the money here, the taxpayers here are paying your pension, you spend the money here - or lose most of it....sorry!

Second, get rid of all the bloated administration and staff. I need an assistant - but I can't afford one right now, so I don't have one....neither can the schools right now...sorry!

Sounds like sour grapes. I would also never compare teachers to cops and firefighters as cops and firefighters actually have more days off then teachers. Not to mention those cops in suburban towns have such a hard time writing soo many tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Somerset, NJ
505 posts, read 2,336,688 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Sounds like sour grapes. I would also never compare teachers to cops and firefighters as cops and firefighters actually have more days off then teachers. Not to mention those cops in suburban towns have such a hard time writing soo many tickets.
No, not sour grapes at all. I was in the Marines...which has nothing to do with anything. I don't have any cops or firefighters as friends or family. But Cops and Firefighters put their lives at risk to do their jobs....teachers don't. No sour grapes at all, just a 'little' respect for the people who keep us safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 AM
 
5,616 posts, read 15,527,205 times
Reputation: 2824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Another one who is now judging every single teacher. Wow you guys must really be upset at your career choices. I know I know you guy would never want to be teachers you just want to bash them because you know so much about them.
career choice, HA!!! I retired at age 41, I am very happy with my career choice, its called Trust fund kid. I had no career choice, I was a loser who got high until age 28. Finally got sober and never looked back, now am retired and enjoying life!! Plan on never working again, Im not upset. Im thrilled!!!!!! I am a spoiled little brat who is living off interest of Daddy's millions which are now mine. However I do pay alot in taxes!!! Its not welfare. Its interest.

I actually work less than teachers!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 AM
 
1,471 posts, read 3,464,529 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
No, not sour grapes at all. I was in the Marines...which has nothing to do with anything. I don't have any cops or firefighters as friends or family. But Cops and Firefighters put their lives at risk to do their jobs....teachers don't. No sour grapes at all, just a 'little' respect for the people who keep us safe.

Have you been to a NJ urban middle or high school anytime over the past twenty years? Trust me, a teacher at Irvington High School has a far more dangerous job than a cop in Saddle River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Somerset, NJ
505 posts, read 2,336,688 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Have you been to a NJ urban middle or high school anytime over the past twenty years? Trust me, a teacher at Irvington High School has a far more dangerous job than a cop in Saddle River.
Good point, but that is by far not the norm in New Jersey and the cops in those same towns have a more dangerous jobs than the teachers. If you are 'uncomfortable' teaching in an urban school...don't take the job.

And to be brutally honest....I think we (read: as a nation) have become pansies. I have sold homes in Newburgh, NY (highest crime rate per capita in the country at one point, although I have heard it's gotten better) and you talk about kids in a school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:12 AM
 
1,931 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
No, not sour grapes at all. I was in the Marines...which has nothing to do with anything. I don't have any cops or firefighters as friends or family. But Cops and Firefighters put their lives at risk to do their jobs....teachers don't. No sour grapes at all, just a 'little' respect for the people who keep us safe.

I have very close friends that are very high ranking "cops" in Newark so I know a little something about keeping us safe. I also have a friend who is a Newark firefighter so I know a little bit about the job. I respect those guys 110% and I would never want to do what those guys have because I know they are in the line of fire every single day.
The job I do want it a cop in lets see....Cranford,Westfield,Chatham,Millburn,Mendham ,Alpine,Berkley Heights,New Providence,Clark,Summit, etc etc etc. Those guys have a cushy job and good for them. They did the right thing but I find it comical we pay those guys just as much or sometimes more then they pay my boys in Newark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:14 AM
 
1,931 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
career choice, HA!!! I retired at age 41, I am very happy with my career choice, its called Trust fund kid. I had no career choice, I was a loser who got high until age 28. Finally got sober and never looked back, now am retired and enjoying life!! Plan on never working again, Im not upset. Im thrilled!!!!!! I am a spoiled little brat who is living off interest of Daddy's millions which are now mine. However I do pay alot in taxes!!! Its not welfare. Its interest.

I actually work less than teachers!!!
Good for you. At least you are proud to be a vagrant. Lucky You I have it really bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 AM
 
Location: NJ
31,771 posts, read 40,730,578 times
Reputation: 24590
i dont understand why this debate gets into the judgement about the difficulty of the job. that means nothing. many minimum wage jobs are very unpleasant and difficult but they do not deserve higher pay because you dont pay people for the difficulty of their jobs. you pay people for how difficult it is to fill the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 AM
 
1,931 posts, read 3,415,671 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont understand why this debate gets into the judgement about the difficulty of the job. that means nothing. many minimum wage jobs are very unpleasant and difficult but they do not deserve higher pay because you dont pay people for the difficulty of their jobs. you pay people for how difficult it is to fill the position.

Captain still waiting on how many bank managers were let go to allow some other person to come in and do the worlk for half pay? All the top dogs are at my banks. I guess the private sector forgot to cut cost? Come on buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
18,480 posts, read 15,269,062 times
Reputation: 14346
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
but most plastic elective surgery isn't covered by insurance. and i know a few people personally that have had ACL repairs sans insurance...
But these are paid for by the patient, or else they dont get done. The non insured emergencies usually don't get paid for by anyone. There is a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top