Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
For the same reason our governor isn't going after cops and firefighters with the same gusto as teachers. Teachers are the easiest target. Cops and firefighters would most likely be far more aggressive and get far more physical if serious cuts were proposed to their ranks.
What exactly are you saying with this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
When other countries start testing everyone send me an email. In Finland only the select few to go schools the other learn a trade and are not counted in scores. I am sure China is giving everyone a fair chance also. Apples and oranges.
Where do you get this non sense, they all get a k-12 education, and they get tested. Sheesh.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
More excuses, the US has no more poverty than the 36 countries ahead of us. You can pull number out of thin air but there is no way its true. Let's give those inner city kid th same chances Obama's kids have. Oh , that's right the union will not allow choice.

By the way, if your NJ/Finland comparison held water your poverty comment wouldn't.The left can't keep track of their deflections.

Really we dont have more poverty then Finland? Of course we do. Look it up we dont have the highest standard of living in the world. I can rattle off ten countries that have less poverty then us.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Really we dont have more poverty then Finland? Of course we do. Look it up we dont have the highest standard of living in the world. I can rattle off ten countries that have less poverty then us.
You really have no idea what you are talking about do you? Please stop pulling things from thin air and presenting them as fact. I stated that we are no worse off than the 36 countries ahead of us academically, and of course that's true!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
You really have no idea what you are talking about do you? Please stop pulling things from thin air and presenting them as fact. I stated that we are no worse off than the 36 countries ahead of us academically, and of course that's true!
Did you say something?

The Finnish education system is an egalitarian Nordic system, with no tuition fees for full-time students. Education is compulsory for nine years starting at age seven, and free meals are served to pupils at primary and secondary levels, where the pupils go to their local school. Education after primary school is divided into vocational and academic systems.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Again are you saying that we do not have more poverty then say France,Finland,Sweden,Germany and a bunch of other countries? Come get some? What? Look at the stats yourself. Just because you are fine doenst mean that our inner cities are not full of poverty and the breakdown of the family structure. 30% of African American children have two parents at home, do you think that helps education in our country? Come on get a grip and smell the coffee.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Anyone see this week's Real Time with Bill Maher? What an EXCELLENT show, IMO. REALLY showed where the blame belongs for the mess we're in!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM

284 posts, read 617,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they arent. thats why we shouldnt pretend like we are paying them to be the most important factor in a child's education. that role goes to the parent. the teacher has a job and its important just like any other job. but its not rocket science. pretty much any girl who graduated with a 4 year degree with poor grades can do the job. i would give a bonus for ones willing to sleep with their students. i dont want to speak negatively of teachers, they are just people like everyone else who are doing a job and they want to get paid as much as they can. but in a public situation, us evil taxpayers become the ones who have to stand up for ourselves against people who use rhetoric and politics to beef up compensation. i think somehow public worker pay just needs to be pegged to certain averages in the private sector. no collective bargaining and no strikes. unions are too political and they give taxpayers an unfair disadvantage in the process.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Anyone see this week's Real Time with Bill Maher? What an EXCELLENT show, IMO. REALLY showed where the blame belongs for the mess we're in!
i find his show entertaining and sometimes he has good guests, but he's a bit whacked. but this week was a good show.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Did you say something?

The Finnish education system is an egalitarian Nordic system, with no tuition fees for full-time students. Education is compulsory for nine years starting at age seven, and free meals are served to pupils at primary and secondary levels, where the pupils go to their local school. Education after primary school is divided into vocational and academic systems.
Lol, exactly what I said. Thanks for looking it up.pretty much the same as us, you have to go to school until you're 16!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey