Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 09:32 AM

505 posts, read 2,337,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Great post.

They spend more and the results have not gotten any better.

Not sure on your 50% data though, sounds low. In Newark only 10% of funding is local, the rest is mostly state funding with a little bit of federal.

In some suburbs, state funding is basically down to zero now.
That's just crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:21 PM

612 posts, read 1,011,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Great post.

They spend more and the results have not gotten any better.

Not sure on your 50% data though, sounds low. In Newark only 10% of funding is local, the rest is mostly state funding with a little bit of federal.

In some suburbs, state funding is basically down to zero now.
Abbots are typically 90% state.
However, there are plenty of non-abbots out there that go well above 50%. Then, there are towns that are at 0%.

A town that is below 10% of their budget in state aid should not be persecuted like they currently are. We should be rewarding them.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:03 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,416,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I know the teachers union use the inner cities a pawns. School choice would greatly enrich that population but it is a threat to the unions so they will not permit it.

Can you please explain to me how I turned out ok? I went to the same schools that these failures attended. Let me guess teachers taught me and let the others to rot? Did I just get lucky? Let me guess it was osmosis? Come on enlighten me on why I made it out and I went to the same schools? Please please help me out. I will give you a simple one...it was my family that made me learn. It was my dad who made sure I did my homework. It was my parents who through thick and thin stayed together because they had two kids that they cared very greatly about. NO charter, no fancy shmancy stuff just good hard work. Yes I said they had two kids, imagine that. The blame game in the inner city falls on the population and not schools or government. The Gop is for self reliance unless it doesnt fit their agenda. An absolute joke is what most of you are who have never spent a day in the inner city or their schools. You should try it some time and tell me those families want to learn. They want to make excuses as it seems some of you do as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Can you please explain to me how I turned out ok? I went to the same schools that these failures attended. Let me guess teachers taught me and let the others to rot? Did I just get lucky? Let me guess it was osmosis? Come on enlighten me on why I made it out and I went to the same schools? Please please help me out. I will give you a simple one...it was my family that made me learn. It was my dad who made sure I did my homework. It was my parents who through thick and thin stayed together because they had two kids that they cared very greatly about. NO charter, no fancy shmancy stuff just good hard work. Yes I said they had two kids, imagine that. The blame game in the inner city falls on the population and not schools or government. The Gop is for self reliance unless it doesnt fit their agenda. An absolute joke is what most of you are who have never spent a day in the inner city or their schools. You should try it some time and tell me those families want to learn. They want to make excuses as it seems some of you do as well.
you know the reason why some kids do better than others. so why pay crazy amounts of money when the difference isnt really what happens in the classroom? to me, choice is a big part of bringing down costs and also it would be nice if you could have different options for your kids if you like. id like to send my kids to a school with no liberals.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you know the reason why some kids do better than others. so why pay crazy amounts of money when the difference isnt really what happens in the classroom? to me, choice is a big part of bringing down costs and also it would be nice if you could have different options for your kids if you like. id like to send my kids to a school with no liberals.
no such thing. conservatives won't be teachers because it doesn't pay enough.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
no such thing. conservatives won't be teachers because it doesn't pay enough.
it doesnt pay enough for me but if my wife were to work i would like her to be a teacher.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
it doesnt pay enough for me but if my wife were to work i would like her to be a teacher.
here head would blow up from being around all those damned liberals!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
here head would blow up from being around all those damned liberals!
she would only need to work a few years and she would get health benefits and pension for life.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
she would only need to work a few years and she would get health benefits and pension for life.
true. but her beliefs would prevent her from collecting those.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:07 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,466,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I know the teachers union use the inner cities a pawns. School choice would greatly enrich that population but it is a threat to the unions so they will not permit it.

Wow. This has to be one of the most bizarre statements I've seen on this board, and there have been a whole lot lately.

Do you really think the unions are against school choice?!? Really?!? Most unions, including my own, would love for there to be true school choice.

It's the affluent WASPs that are the biggest factor in preventing true school choice in NJ and many other areas. They are the ones who would riot if we were to have true school choice. Heaven forbid Caitlyn (with a "C', not a "K") should have to be in the same class as LaToya, even though LaToya may be a much nicer girl and a much better student.

I would love to see the day when every school district is truly integrated, by race, religion, socioeconomic levels, academic abilities, etc. It will not happen anytime soon, unfortunately. But if you think it's because of the unions... well, I don't know what else I can say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey