Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 AM

284 posts, read 617,341 times

Advertisements

can we get back to question on "what needs to be done to identify the performance of the teachers so as to remove the non-performers" ??

I am really interested in some constructive suggestions from the teachers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 03:56 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,272,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
My problem with charter schools is, although they appear to have pretty good results, there is no true example of a random section of kids taken out and placed into the "better" schools. it's a random section of kids whose parents applied.

my problem with school vouchers is...you can give people choice...but not everyone will take it. what happens to the kids of parents who don't act on the choice while we wait for the schools to "fail"? why can't we just fix the gosh darn schools?
Fix them with what? Obviously money does not work, as we have flooded them with money for the past 30 years. There is nothing you can possibly do to make uncaring parents start to care, and that is what it will take to "fix the gosh darn schools". The inner city schools are performing better than they were when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, and I think the slow but steady death of racism is a big factor. There are a lot more minority role models for both the kids and their parents, and there are a lot more opportunities for minorities these days. While I completely disagree with Obama's politics, the one good thing about having him in the white house is that he shows these kids that they can do anything they put their minds to.

I don't have any actual data, so I could be completely wrong on this, but school performance does seem to be getting better slowly over time, but I think it has to do with us becoming a better society, slowly over time. No amount of Abbott funding is going to speed it up.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 03-04-2011 at 05:04 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 05:50 AM

23,582 posts, read 17,258,837 times
Default njea vs wi teacher's union

Tenure was established about 1915 to protect teachers from the 'vagaries of political' shenanigans.

Imagine if you can that the teacher's union demands protection from their own administrators by invoking tenure.

The teacher's unions are also proclaiming there is a linear relationship between time on the job and teacher efficiency.

This view also demands the perspective be taken that the skills of a teacher are so simplistic only time differentiates the prowess of a teacher's skill and ability. This explains the NJEA's reluctance to establish a performance evaluations for teachers.

The teacher's unions are the teachers and taxpayers worst enemy in WI and NJ.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,416,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Fix them with what? Obviously money does not work, as we have flooded them with money for the past 30 years. There is nothing you can possibly do to make uncaring parents start to care, and that is what it will take to "fix the gosh darn schools". The inner city schools are performing better than they were when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, and I think the slow but steady death of racism is a big factor. There are a lot more minority role models for both the kids and their parents, and there are a lot more opportunities for minorities these days. While I completely disagree with Obama's politics, the one good thing about having him in the white house is that he shows these kids that they can do anything they put their minds to.

I don't have any actual data, so I could be completely wrong on this, but school performance does seem to be getting better slowly over time, but I think it has to do with us becoming a better society, slowly over time. No amount of Abbott funding is going to speed it up.
spending money the wrong way doesn't mean money doesn't work. it has to be cut back, but cut back the bloat in all the friggin administration buildings. and have you been inside some administrators' offices? they'd make trump's board room look cheap.

the data shows that school performance has been getting worse over time. not just inner city, but suburban areas as well. reading proficiency is lower, math lower. science is seemingly ignored. it's really disheartening. but i hope i'm wrong. maybe the data is skewed. but everything i read and watch, from both sides with different solutions, points out the same problems (and even mostly the same solutions).

it's really sad.

one of the things mentioned in Waiting for Superman was that during the crash, companies like Google and Oracle etc. couldn't find people qualified in the U.S. for many of the jobs they were trying to fill. So, they filled them with indians and asians.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,272,470 times
No, that last line is propaganda, put out by google and oracle, and Microsoft was guilty of it as well. These companies can't find Americans to do the job because they only want to pay 70k for a job that should be paying twice that. Yes these programming jobs require highly educated people, but the 4.0 American students are not willing to go that route when the payout is so low. The free market was supposed to cause salaries to rise in these megabillion dollar corporations, but instead, Bill Gates went in front of congress and told them that they needed to increase the h1 visas for Indians who do this type of work. And since it is the great Bill Gates, congress said OK. Your superman movie didn't tell it to you that way, did it? I don't know anything about the movie, but just from that alone, I doubt it's validity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey