Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM

327 posts, read 882,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is problem that is only going to get worse. the salaries and benefits are too good but the real back breaker of the regular taxpayer is the retirement benefits. those need to be eliminated.
agreed, love how the unions toss around salaries, without taking into account tens of thousands per family health plan benefits, and pensions..

yes, because the taxes that pay for such benefits and pensions arise from thin air...

forget the invisible single mother working 2 jobs just to keep up with rising property taxes over her children's heads.. how dare her unpatriotic tone to question where HER taxes go to..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 02:58 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Of course it needs to be addressed everywhere. I still don't care about teacher pay in Wisconsin.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
its funny how they always throw out how they could be making so much more in the private sector. while there are more opportunities in the private sector for extreme wealth, the average pay and benefits for public sector employees is more than double the average private sector. they complain about paying for healthcare and pension benefits, i have no pension benefits and i have no retirement health care benefits coming to me and i have an mba.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,421,366 times
Quote:
this is an issue that is going to be addressed everywhere. i just read an article in the community reporter and it said in asbury park public school students cost about $24k per year average. the overall average in nj is around $14k per year per student. these costs will grow like nobody believes as time goes on due to retirement costs.
i'd like to see a real breakdown on the costs. i'm sure it's bloated, and i know the retirement and other benies are an issue, but in PA the avg cost per student is like $8k. you can't possibly tell me that $6k more in NJ is pensions and benefits. the benefits seem to be basically the same everywhere.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'd like to see a real breakdown on the costs. i'm sure it's bloated, and i know the retirement and other benies are an issue, but in PA the avg cost per student is like $8k. you can't possibly tell me that $6k more in NJ is pensions and benefits. the benefits seem to be basically the same everywhere.
it would be nice to have more transparency for us taxpayers to see exactly where our money is going.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,066,520 times
Quote:
its funny how they always throw out how they could be making so much more in the private sector. while there are more opportunities in the private sector for extreme wealth, the average pay and benefits for public sector employees is more than double the average private sector. they complain about paying for healthcare and pension benefits, i have no pension benefits and i have no retirement health care benefits coming to me and i have an mba.
Most of them wouldn't last a day in the private sector. These people go straight from HS, to college, to a school system. They live in la-la land.

I actually think many of them suffer from arrested development.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
Quote:
it would be nice to have more transparency for us taxpayers to see exactly where our money is going.
Can you imagine if we knew where all the money going to the Abbott districts went to? I think our collective heads would explode.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:05 PM

there are web sites like datauniverse that gives us some information about salaries of public employees but there is a lot more to the story that it leaves out.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
the data has to be out there. it's all public record right?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
the average education level in public sector is more advanced than the average education level in private sector. so every time someone points out that the average pay and benefits for public sector employees is more than double the average private sector, they conveniently leave out the fact that the 1.3 million people who work at wal--mart, mostly with no high school education and making $9/hr, are private sector employees counted in the "average pay and benefits".

factually misleading argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey