Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Reputation: 3730

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im trying to find some info on available teaching positions or maybe some info on how hard it is to get a teaching job. id rather focus on how easy it is to hire than how hard the job is. you know what happens if i offer a certain pay rate and get tons of qualified applicants wanting the job? ill lower that rate.
again, it just depends on the type of job. with teachers, most parents i know would prefer their district be choosing between 50 people for $40,000/yr than choosing between 10 people for $35,000/yr. we're not talking about cashiers here, we're talking about educators. people who spend 1/3 of your child's day with your child.

i think very few people look at teachers as simply replaceable bodies that anyone can do the job of, so pay them less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2011, 08:37 AM
 
1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
most teachers i know love the kids but hate the parents of the kids. haha. as for teacher pay myth, what exactly is a comparable private sector employee?
If you do a search for the article you can find it I think, but they compared a whole bunch of professions that require a certain level of degree, etc.

I think many parents feel the same way, love their kids and dislike the teachers of the kids. Ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 08:38 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is what the private sector has to do in order to survive. we have to make cuts and we have to be efficient. but the public sector just takes and takes from the working americans and they couldnt care less about how everyone else suffers to support this privileged class.
i'm going to dig up the article in fortune from a few months ago if i can. it spoke about the companies that did the best during the downturn are the companies that didn't focus on cutting labor and costs "to be efficient", but were the companies that stood by their employees in the downturn to weather the storm and come out strong. the article was all about how the most successful companies were the ones that treat their employees as assets, not as costs.

it spoke about how this has been shown time and time again, but the dominating idea still remains to be that cutting employee costs is the way to a stronger bottom line. i can't find it now, but it may have been in the fortune 500 issue this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 AM
 
1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Reputation: 444
Here's the teacher-pay myth article:

Article | The Teacher-Pay Myth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 08:41 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
If you do a search for the article you can find it I think, but they compared a whole bunch of professions that require a certain level of degree, etc.

Yeah, I'd say most parents feel the same way. Love their kids and hate the teachers.
i think you can compare a lot of professions that require a certain level of degree and find variances of all sorts. this is very true in medical professions also. pediatricians make far less than an orthopedic doctor. i don't think you can simply look at data like that and conclude that one profession is overpaid vs another.

that's too bad that most parents you know feel that way. i know numerous parents who love their kids' teachers. sure, there are some they aren't a fan of, but i don't know any parents that hate even a majority of their kids' teachers. maybe you should move to a different school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Here's the teacher-pay myth article:

Article | The Teacher-Pay Myth
very interesting article by the ny post (conservative slanted publication) and the manhattan institute (conservative think tank).

find me something non-partisan to back the "teacher pay myth"?

Manhattan Institute for Policy Research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 AM
 
1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
very interesting article by the ny post (conservative slanted publication) and the manhattan institute (conservative think tank).

find me something non-partisan to back the "teacher pay myth"?

Manhattan Institute for Policy Research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The counter-argument was written by the NEA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
 
1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

that's too bad that most parents you know feel that way. i know numerous parents who love their kids' teachers. sure, there are some they aren't a fan of, but i don't know any parents that hate even a majority of their kids' teachers. maybe you should move to a different school district?
You said that the teachers you know hate the parents of their kids. That's awful. I believe it though, I'm sure many teachers do hate the parents. Or at least don't respect them and blame them for everything, on and on. I've heard the whining myself, I'm sure some is true.

Seriously though, parents generally know who the duds are and who the great teachers are within a school. I'd say, from what I've seen, parents have a lot of respect for the great teachers. But when you get the dud, believe me, your kid's whole school year can be a waste at best.

Our principal always sends out letters around April telling parents not to bother trying to contact her asking for certain teachers, that all of the school's teachers are "qualified", so go scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 09:12 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
The counter-argument was written by the NEA.
i wouldn't believe them either. but as far as the public vs private, i will be believe the various non-partisan studies of the data that conclude that benefits are higher in public but salary is lower. it's basically a wash. both sides use the data incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Reputation: 3730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
You said that the teachers you know hate the parents of their kids. That's awful. I believe it though, I'm sure many teachers do hate the parents. Or at least don't respect them and blame them for everything, on and on. I've heard the whining myself, I'm sure some is true.

Seriously though, parents generally know who the duds are and who the great teachers are within a school. I'd say, from what I've seen, parents have a lot of respect for the great teachers. But when you get the dud, believe me, your kid's whole school year can be a waste at best.

Our principal always sends out letters around April telling parents not to bother trying to contact her asking for certain teachers, that all of the schools teachers are "qualified", so go scratch.
the teachers i know dislike the parents because a lot of them are uninvolved and then if the kid does something bad they come and whine to the teacher about why little johnny got a D.

there are some bad teachers. parents have to work harder in those cases. it shouldn't be that way, but no school is going to be 100% perfect, despite what the principal claims. principal has no other response though, if they play favorites, then that creates a whole other set of issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top