Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,416,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
"Chris Christie is a bully and he's FAT!"

I'm actually quite tiny, I just have a big mouth.

I dont actually Christie is fat. He is pretty much the norm for the average unhealthy American. No big deal in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Really really? You make no sense at all. Your premise is we can find teachers to teach for less. Yet that doesnt apply to the rest of the world? Surely a bank manager makes around 100k, are you telling me we cant find someone to do it for less in these times? That would help bring down my bank fees and be a big savings for all of us. I guess that doesnt help your argument so I guess in your world the only jobs that people will do for less money are cops,firefighters and teachers. Good one genius.
i make no sense? your post is pure insanity. if you arent happy with your bank fees then change banks.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i wouldn't believe them either. but as far as the public vs private, i will be believe the various non-partisan studies of the data that conclude that benefits are higher in public but salary is lower. it's basically a wash. both sides use the data incorrectly.
i believe in the past this concept of lower pay but higher benefits was true. i do not believe it still holds true.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Is this what Democrats do now, call people FAT when they don't like what they have to say? LOL
liberals believe that we are insulting them just by having a different opinion. they are "right" so they are allowed to say whatever they want and we are evil for thinking differently.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM

18,483 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i think you can compare a lot of professions that require a certain level of degree and find variances of all sorts. this is very true in medical professions also. pediatricians make far less than an orthopedic doctor. i don't think you can simply look at data like that and conclude that one profession is overpaid vs another.
bradykp: I am going to go on a little rant here, and it is not really directed at you.

If you want to make a lot of money, you dont go into pediatrics. If you want to make a lot of money, you dont go into teaching. In your example, not only does becoming an orthopedic surgeon require a lot more skill than becoming a pediatrician, it is also a lot harder to become an orthopedic surgeon. Only the top students from good medical schools are granted residency in orthopedics. Anyone who graduates any med school can get a pediatric residency. But people know that going in. What I cant stand is the guy who becomes a pediatrician and then complains that they are underpaid and other doctors are overpaid. I feel like screaming at them that it was like that when you chose your profession. You should have thought about that back then. Instead you chose what you wanted to do. You chose what would make you happier. Well, that is great for you, but dont try to change the rules now. Live with your decision. If salary is important to you, pick a job that pays well. I think I might be happier playing guitar at the local saloon for a living, but you know what? They dont make enough for the type of lifestyle I want.

If you are wondering what this has to do with teachers, it is an analogy. If you want to become a public employee, that is great, but you have to go in realizing that you are paid with tax dollars and are subject to the whim of public sentiment which is at the whim of the economy. The problem is, when you have a bad economy, private sector workers dont get raises, they lose benefits, and many even lose their jobs. When this happens, you have to expect resentment about public sector workers who's unions seem to have insulated them from the problems the average private sector worker has to deal with. ON TOP OF THAT, to make matters even worse, these people who are getting less are FORCED to pay the same or MORE to keep the public sector workers salaries and benefits high while their own have been greatly diminished.

If people dont want to pay private sector workers for their products and services, they go out of business and lose their jobs. If people dont want to pay public sector workers for their products and services, well thats just tough luck because we are going to take your money anyway.

To the OP, I would get paid roughly the same in WI as I get in NJ, in spite of the cost of living differences, and at my salary, that accounts for a HUGE difference in life style. It is the price we pay to live in NJ instead of WI. It is worth it.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 02-20-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i make no sense? your post is pure insanity. if you arent happy with your bank fees then change banks.
No the fact remains we can find people to do any job lower then what people are being paid right now. That alone is not a reason to lower salaries. I love how your argument changes when you get called out. All banks are in cahoots and fees are pretty much the same everywhere I look.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
bradykp: I am going to go on a little rant here, and it is not really directed at you.

If you want to make a lot of money, you dont go into pediatrics. If you want to make a lot of money, you dont go into teaching. In your example, not only does becoming an orthopedic surgeon require a lot more skill than becoming a pediatrician, it is also a lot harder to become an orthopedic surgeon. Only the top students from good medical schools are granted residency in orthopedics. Anyone who graduates any med school can get a pediatric residency. But people know that going in. What I cant stand is the guy who becomes a pediatrician and then complains that they are underpaid and other doctors are overpaid. I feel like screaming at them that it was like that when you chose your profession. You should have thought about that back then. Instead you chose what you wanted to do. You chose what would make you happier. Well, that is great for you, but dont try to change the rules now. Live with your decision. If salary is important to you, pick a job that pays well. I think I might be happier playing guitar at the local saloon for a living, but you know what? They dont make enough for the type of lifestyle I want.

If you are wondering what this has to do with teachers, it is an analogy. If you want to become a public employee, that is great, but you have to go in realizing that you are paid with tax dollars and are subject to the whim of public sentiment which is at the whim of the economy. The problem is, when you have a bad economy, private sector workers dont get raises, they lose benefits, and many even lose their jobs. When this happens, you have to expect resentment about public sector workers who's unions seem to have insulated them from the problems the average private sector worker has to deal with. ON TOP OF THAT, to make matters even worse, these people who are getting less are FORCED to pay the same or MORE to keep the public sector workers salaries and benefits high while their own have been greatly diminished.

If people dont want to pay private sector workers for their products and services, they go out of business and lose their jobs. If people dont want to pay public sector workers for their products and services, well thats just tough luck because we are going to take your money anyway.

To the OP, I would get paid roughly the same in WI as I get in NJ, in spite of the cost of living differences, and at my salary, that accounts for a HUGE difference in life style. It is the price we pay to live in NJ instead of WI. It is worth it.
Great stuff. So basically when times are tough we should allow them to decide if they want schools,cops or firefighters. Do people choose not to go to the hospital during tough times? You act as if those things mentioned are luxuries.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM

18,483 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Great stuff. So basically when times are tough we should allow them to decide if they want schools,cops or firefighters. Do people choose not to go to the hospital during tough times? You act as if those things mentioned are luxuries.
Answer to question #1: No, but we should certainly reassess what we can afford to give them in return for their services, as is being done across the country.

Answer to question #2: Absolutely, people choose not to go to the hospital during tough times. An emergency is an emergency, but we have seen a huge drop off in elective surgeries since the recession began. People lose jobs, and then insurance, and then they are willing to live with their knee pain instead of paying for surgery out of pocket. Then you have all the people who do have jobs and insurance, but are too afraid of losing their jobs to take the time off to recover from surgery. The areas where we have seen the biggest drop offs have been Ortho Surgery, Bariatric Surgery, and of course, Plastics. The last 2 years I have had a decrease in revenue of 15% each year. As I said, nobody in the private sector is immune to recessions.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Answer to question #1: No, but we should certainly reassess what we can afford to give them in return for their services, as is being done across the country.

Answer to question #2: Absolutely, people choose not to go to the hospital during tough times. An emergency is an emergency, but we have seen a huge drop off in elective surgeries since the recession began. People lose jobs, and then insurance, and then they are willing to live with their knee pain instead of paying for surgery out of pocket. Then you have all the people who do have jobs and insurance, but are too afraid of losing their jobs to take the time off to recover from surgery. The areas where we have seen the biggest drop offs have been Ortho Surgery, Bariatric Surgery, and of course, Plastics. The last 2 years I have had a decrease in revenue of 15% each year. As I said, nobody in the private sector is immune to recessions.
Elective surgery? Thanks for proving my point.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
No the fact remains we can find people to do any job lower then what people are being paid right now. That alone is not a reason to lower salaries. I love how your argument changes when you get called out. All banks are in cahoots and fees are pretty much the same everywhere I look.
how did my argument change? your bank is a private company and they have an obligation to be competitive so i trust that they will try to get the best employees at the lowest prices. its a different ballgame when it comes to public employees. the general rule no matter what the economic situation is, you try to get the employees that can do the job to your liking for as little money as possible.

oh and under no circumstances do you pay for the health benefits of retirees.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 02-20-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey