Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
It really comes down to people wanting more 'stuff' for what they otherwise couldn't afford living closer to their jobs. The idea of families uprooting from Northern NJ to Monroe/Northampton County PA or Burlington/Camden Counties and keeping their NYC area salaries is foreign to me. In essence, the choice is exchanging money for time. However, the loss of time in one's home thereby negates the access or enjoyment of newly acquired 'stuff' around their homes, i.e. the satellite TV to watch NY teams. If you are spending 25 hours a week commuting to and from work, that's akin to one seventh of your week on the road. Yet, people still consciously opt for this choice, at the expense of being away from their families and bigger homes.
my old boss lives about 2 hour commute from his office in the city. he was never with his family. i could never do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Yet, people still consciously opt for this choice, at the expense of being away from their families and bigger homes.
its a sad choice but i would say another factor is providing a better environment for your family (even when you arent home to enjoy it with them).

Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
so?
The point of this thread is NJ's population shifting, and the growth of the Gold Coast isn't because of current Jerseyans flocking over there.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
It really comes down to people wanting more 'stuff' for what they otherwise couldn't afford living closer to their jobs. The idea of families uprooting from Northern NJ to Monroe/Northampton County PA or Burlington/Camden Counties and keeping their NYC area salaries is foreign to me. In essence, the choice is exchanging money for time. However, the loss of time in one's home thereby negates the access or enjoyment of newly acquired 'stuff' around their homes, i.e. the satellite TV to watch NY teams. If you are spending 25 hours a week commuting to and from work, that's akin to one seventh of your week on the road. Yet, people still consciously opt for this choice, at the expense of being away from their families and bigger homes.
I personally feel it is a ridiculous choice. I stomach about an hour and a half roundtrip commute each day and that is plenty for me. I can understand wanting a better environment for your family (Moorestown is quite nice, but not exactly cheap), but it's not like comparable towns aren't avilable in North Jersey, you just might not get as much house for your dollar. I would personally take the regular home in order to have a much more manageable commute.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
The point of this thread is NJ's population shifting, and the growth of the Gold Coast isn't because of current Jerseyans flocking over there.
the point of this thread is NJ's population growth in South Jersey is faster than North Jersey. It's not specifically about who in NJ is moving where, it's the state's population, which includes people moving to the NY Metro area in North Jersey who may be from NYC, or even from another state. the population in the North still grew, i just don't think the article really worded it properly. it's slower, there is less room to grow in the north, that makes sense. how many more people can you put in some towns in north jersey?

also, over the course of the decade, Philadelphia has improved a lot, which makes the souther suburbs of Philly more desirable.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I personally feel it is a ridiculous choice. I stomach about an hour and a half roundtrip commute each day and that is plenty for me. I can understand wanting a better environment for your family (Moorestown is quite nice, but not exactly cheap), but it's not like comparable towns aren't avilable in North Jersey, you just might not get as much house for your dollar. I would personally take the regular home in order to have a much more manageable commute.
and if my home is regular, i'm quite happy with it! lol. only thing i desire is more property. which eventually, i'll get, hopefully.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:25 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
more people are discovering the areas down here, that's for sure..

Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Now if only Atlantic/Cape May Counties experienced this kind of popularity...does that mean we will have a better rail network? lol!
So true. South Jersey could really use more rail line services down here.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
So true. South Jersey could really use more rail line services down here.
That would stop the sprawl....

Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I think it speaks more to the real estate prices and taxes in northern NJ- more and more people are being priced out of the area, and have to either extend their commutes or find work elsewhere. Now that you can't get a no-doc, no-down, interest-only reverse mortgage on a $600k house with a $50k/year salary, it's harder to swing northern NJ.

Bingo.

I am one of those people. Born and lived in Bergen County most of my life, working in NYC for 30+ years, could never afford to buy anything there, so I rented until my only child graduated high school. (Actually, in 2007 they DID tell me I could get a mortgage, but I chose not to buy there at that time and I am glad I didn't.)

The choice was extend the commute so I could get a place of my own (condo) or continue to rent for more than my mortgage costs me and have a shorter commute. Taxes are lower in Monmouth County, and there are affordable choices not available in Bergen.

Interestingly, before this my commute was about an hour and 20 minutes to go about 30 miles. Now I travel 60 miles, and the commute takes 2 hours door to door. Getting over or under the river in itself is good for 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey