Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Yeah this is all about getting the senior votes. I'm disappointed in Christie for this.
i dont think thats fair when it comes to politics. its nice if you can get 100% of what you want but realistically there is always some give and take. to turn your back on a big group that votes can seriously hurt your ability to get re-elected. it could also hurt your ability to accomplish other things, so sometimes you compromise on things you are willing to compromise and maybe it will help you move forward with other more important things.

im a conservative which to some degree means to me that im not looking for drastic immediate change. im happy with gradual change in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am not all that read up on the subject, but I wanted to note that seniors use much less resources then most because they do not have kids in school.
right. seniors don't use anything. just those slow moving senior bus things, medicare, social security, etc. they use so few resources. why should they pay into the system? they've paid their dues and now we owe them!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think thats fair when it comes to politics. its nice if you can get 100% of what you want but realistically there is always some give and take. to turn your back on a big group that votes can seriously hurt your ability to get re-elected. it could also hurt your ability to accomplish other things, so sometimes you compromise on things you are willing to compromise and maybe it will help you move forward with other more important things.
and sometimes (always) you pander to the voting bloc that's 60+ because as long as it don't pour on tuesday, they'll be there for you. this applies to both parties and why young people get the ultimate shaft. but it's our fault, cause we don't vote.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
and sometimes (always) you pander to the voting bloc that's 60+ because as long as it don't pour on tuesday, they'll be there for you. this applies to both parties and why young people get the ultimate shaft. but it's our fault, cause we don't vote.
also old people are cute and cuddly.

i dont really think the elderly get such an unfairly large piece of the pie. they are going to take their hits on medicare and social security.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
also old people are cute and cuddly.

i dont really think the elderly get such an unfairly large piece of the pie. they are going to take their hits on medicare and social security.
i think they get a lot of things because they vote. at federal, state, and local level. i don't blame politicians for this. if i were running, i'd kiss the voting populations' arses too.

i don't believe for a minute that a single person that is currently 55 or older is going to see anything more than a minor blip to medicare and SS, if anything at all. and if they do, they'll give them something else to make up for it.

some are cute and cuddly. but some are old, shrively, and miserable. lol

Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
i think they get a lot of things because they vote. at federal, state, and local level. i don't blame politicians for this. if i were running, i'd kiss the voting populations' arses too.

i don't believe for a minute that a single person that is currently 55 or older is going to see anything more than a minor blip to medicare and SS, if anything at all. and if they do, they'll give them something else to make up for it.

some are cute and cuddly. but some are old, shrively, and miserable. lol
i think just like school budgets, there really isnt much choice anymore. budgets are going to be cut whether we like it or not.

the ones in brooklyn are often obnoxious and/or depressing. i feel like they may be happier if you moved down to florida.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
i think just like school budgets, there really isnt much choice anymore. budgets are going to be cut whether we like it or not.

the ones in brooklyn are often obnoxious and/or depressing.
Well he did increase state education funding. Forget the amount, but I believe 1/3 was restored from last year.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Well he did increase state education funding. Forget the amount, but I believe 1/3 was restored from last year.
i read that he removed $280m last year, and reinstated $250m of it this year.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,344,447 times
Quote:
right. seniors don't use anything. just those slow moving senior bus things, medicare, social security, etc. they use so few resources. why should they pay into the system? they've paid their dues and now we owe them!
None of that is really the point.

The point is, a big portion of property taxes go to the school budget. The seniors arent using the school system anymore. That's all that was being said.

I'm getting away from the high property taxes, by moving to Maine to a town that doesnt have a school. Plus most of their property taxes are way lower anyway.

And i never had kids, so i never had one in school anyway. The property taxes and auto insurance in this state are UNREAL. I dont know how anybody lives here - especially if you're trying to live on $28K a year.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I agree. I'm sick of these Politicians claiming to understand the plight of the middle class, but then cutoff at $75K. What about those of us that make more than $75K, but less than $100K? What are we if not middle class?
what about those who make $101K? are they suddenly rich?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey