Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 24,931 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house in Upper Saddle River, but there is limited information about the town online. If anyone is familiar with the town, are there specific areas (i.e., I've seen listings with East Hill section)? Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM

4,284 posts, read 10,719,153 times
It is easily one of the top 10 wealthiest towns in the state.

It is where the very wealthy live. If you can afford it, any problems would presumably be very limited

Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 AM

Well, Upper Saddle River is not Saddle River. I know Saddle River is just full of mansions, but that is not the case with USR. So I was just wondering about sections because it seems there is a real mix of housing and we are thinking about resale value. We learned the hard way that buying a house in the "wrong" part leads to a huge drop in value and trying to sell in a down market was very challenging. We're trying to avoid that.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:48 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,970,443 times
Upper Saddle is a bucolic suburban borough. Although wealthy, it is actually a far more affordable alternative to Saddle River itself. There is no downtown, most of the homes are on well and septic, and the typical home is a large 20 year old custom Colonial in the $900,000-$1,100,000 range, with an occasional $2,000,000 every now and then, as well as a $500,000 fixer upper.

It is not a tight-knit community, everybody does their own thing. The north part of USR is convenient to train service in Ramsey. Commuting time to NY City is about 90 minutes.

Upper Saddle compares with Franklin Lakes, Woodcliff Lake, Wyckoff, Ho-Ho-Kus, etc.

Taxes are fairly reasonable, the high school is shared with Ho-Ho-Kus, Allendale and Saddle River.

Values are pretty uniform throughout the town, with lower prices on properties that receive noise from Route 17, and on or near West or East Saddle River Rd and Lake St. Higher prices are in the younger subdivisions, as per usual in northern NJ.

The usual things to watch out for when buying: Older septic tanks, underground oil tanks, and older wells. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward, stay away from the busy roads, stay away from the River, it floods every now and then, especially at the South end of the borough (actually more of a problem in Saddle River itself).

I used to live right over the border in Suffern and had friends who lived there. They liked it a lot. It is a very quiet and pleasant area to live for the most part.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 AM

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for!!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,052,448 times
USR is a nice town. I would just add about the schools, the high school is Northern Highlands, which is one of the best high schools in the state.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the high school info. I also like that there is only one elementary school and one middle school. We're looking but as I said I wasn't sure if there is a better place to look...it's easier to just get to buy according to a house you like vs trying to find something in a "good" area.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_2 View Post
Thanks for the high school info. I also like that there is only one elementary school and one middle school. We're looking but as I said I wasn't sure if there is a better place to look...it's easier to just get to buy according to a house you like vs trying to find something in a "good" area.
Yeah, that's true about the elem. and MS. You won't go wrong with the schools there.

I think it's good to scope out a few towns that you could see yourself living in and then pick the house you like the best out of them.

While the town is important, it's also really important to actually like the house that you'll be living in for many years

Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Just looking at the DFGs, which is how they group towns according to socio-economic status, and USR is J, which is the highest group right up there with Franklin Lakes, etc. I also took a quick look at the test scores at the NJ Report Cards and the test scores are really good. I don't think you'll have to worry about buying there. Marc gave good tips on physical things to think about (near the highway, river etc.).

Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 AM

I guess I'm paranoid. We bought our first house in 2004 and didn't even consider the area - just looked at the house. Big mistake. So I'm trying to be more cautious. But you are right, ultimately we have to live in the house - so that has to be good as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey