Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i couldnt care less about raising revenue. that argument is pointless to me, i wouldnt want more money in government's hands. i will support whichever candidate is the most conservative. nothing good comes from government, i want it slashed. i dont need a super genius, their intelligence would be wasted in government.

oh and lets not forget, im a conservative. i dont ask anyone to give me everything i want overnight. i can wait for lower taxes if you slash government spending first. while normally id say we can gradually reduce the size of government and id be happy, i dont even think thats a real option. i can say it though if it makes you happy because what i think is going to happen isnt generally accepted by most people, yet. if the reality is that we can get away with slowly reducing the size of government over time, then im all for it.
Those that hate government should not be running it.

So how much would you slash military spending? We spend about half of the world's total - something like $700 BN a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Those that hate government should not be running it.

So how much would you slash military spending? We spend about half of the world's total - something like $700 BN a year.
i disagree with that first statement. well, i wouldnt say hate but i would say i appreciate politicians that understand that good government is one that governs less.

i really cant give exact figures but im sure we could slash the military budget a tremendous amount. our greatest military asset is the fact that we are located thousands of miles from anyone who could pose any legit threat to us. we should be able to spend a lower % of our gdp on military than those in asia and europe.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
i disagree with that first statement. well, i wouldnt say hate but i would say i appreciate politicians that understand that good government is one that governs less.

i really cant give exact figures but im sure we could slash the military budget a tremendous amount. our greatest military asset is the fact that we are located thousands of miles from anyone who could pose any legit threat to us. we should be able to spend a lower % of our gdp on military than those in asia and europe.
Distance used to be OK before ICBM's. North Korea's surely trying to figure out how to get them, same with Iran.

So suppose we slash the military budget by $300-400 billion. What do we do with that money? Improve crumbling infrastructure or just return it as tax refunds? What do we do with all the military/defense contractor personnel that get shown the door?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Distance used to be OK before ICBM's. North Korea's surely trying to figure out how to get them, same with Iran.

So suppose we slash the military budget by $300-400 billion. What do we do with that money? Improve crumbling infrastructure or just return it as tax refunds? What do we do with all the military/defense contractor personnel that get shown the door?
distance is more than OK. i didnt say you wouldnt need to spend on military, but you should be able to spend less.

well, considering we have accumulated $14 trillion in debt, id say lets maintain taxes as they were and put the money towards deficit reduction. the issue of what to do with the personnel isnt the governments issue.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,368,110 times
Quote:
when do you even see beck supporters speaking? i see and hear talking heads, but i dont see their supporters enough to have any idea what they are like. thats one of the reasons why i thinking judging them is silly, they dont have a show.

mccain was a disgrace. i regret voting for him and may not have if palin werent on the ticket. i dont know if i can vote for romney if he ends up being the nominee. i think her polarization concerns republicans and they think she isnt electable. so many of them have turned on her for that. she isnt my favorite, but i definitely want her to give it a shot and see where the cards fall.

she quickly got a huge reaction of hatred from the left. you are right, im offering my best guess as to why. maybe there is a poll. im not sure what she is saying that is so shocking, i dont think she anything particularly out there. she wants to be seen as a regular person who is a true conservative. to me, her biggest negative is that i think she is too much of a political player now (she endorsed non-tea party candidates in the last election). i will not support anyone who isnt tea party endorsed.
shamed to admit i'm kinda friends with a few folks who love his show. also, there's a bunch of polls that have been done, supposedly of his audience. so i guess it depends on whether you believe the polls.

this tea party stuff, whatever. i'm not even sure what it means to be tea party supported. i'll vote for anyone who i agree with their policies. i don't care who "endorsed" them. i'd actually prefer to see candidates who aren't endorsed by any of these "parties" personally. scott brown is working out well for the tea party.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
being a senator or congressman is a huge negative for me. legislators do nothing but sell their votes out to the highest bidder. id much rather have someone with zero political experience than a legislator.

i appreciate his military ervice to this country but that doesnt win him or anyone my vote.

with regard to palin, i like that she seems to think it is in her best interests to be as conservative as possible. as long as she acts consistent with a true conservative, my interests and hers are in alignment.
you'd much rather have someone who was mayor, then governor, in the state that takes the most federal dollars per dollar they send in the union? talk about welfare. why don't we start by letting alaska secede?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
shamed to admit i'm kinda friends with a few folks who love his show. also, there's a bunch of polls that have been done, supposedly of his audience. so i guess it depends on whether you believe the polls.

this tea party stuff, whatever. i'm not even sure what it means to be tea party supported. i'll vote for anyone who i agree with their policies. i don't care who "endorsed" them. i'd actually prefer to see candidates who aren't endorsed by any of these "parties" personally. scott brown is working out well for the tea party.
are those friends idiots? they just mindlessly repeat what beck says? beck is primarily pushing conservative values, so i wouldnt be surprised if conservatives watching his show agree with most of what he says. but thats going to be the same for liberals watching liberal talking heads.

their endorsement means a lot to me because they arent looking for political favors or money for their cause. they are just looking for the most conservative candidate to support. scott brown is terrible, but i suppose the best you could get out of mass. with such short notice. was a nice little embarrassment for obama and friends.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
you'd much rather have someone who was mayor, then governor, in the state that takes the most federal dollars per dollar they send in the union? talk about welfare. why don't we start by letting alaska secede?
taking more dollars than sending to the union sounds like a smart thing to me. while im not in favor of federal spending, if its there for the taking then you take it (as long as the strings attached arent a problem). sounds like you are getting good bang for your buck for your constituents. im against pork spending, but i dont blame those who have taken advantage of it.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
The biggest welfare states are all Republican controlled. Higher divorce rates, murder rates, incarceration rates, teenage mom rates, etc. as well. Only libs on the coasts "go it alone" without much help money-wise from Washington compared to what they donate to the welfare states down south. CaptainNJ knows that of course.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
are those friends idiots? they just mindlessly repeat what beck says? beck is primarily pushing conservative values, so i wouldnt be surprised if conservatives watching his show agree with most of what he says. but thats going to be the same for liberals watching liberal talking heads.

their endorsement means a lot to me because they arent looking for political favors or money for their cause. they are just looking for the most conservative candidate to support. scott brown is terrible, but i suppose the best you could get out of mass. with such short notice. was a nice little embarrassment for obama and friends.
yes, they are. but you said it, not me. lots of people who watch his show that i know seem to mindlessly repeat what he says. i don't even think i'd call what he's pushing "conservative" values. i'd put him more in the camp of the "religious conservative values", but i probably would use harsher words.

i think you've got some wishful thinking going on here. koch brothers anyone?

i'd hardly call scott brown an embarrassment from the point of view of obama's camp. he's helped with many key votes already. it's nice having another reasonable-minded centrist in there. he's for cutting spending, but he's not for cutting it blindly. though it seems kind of odd to me that he's against many of the very programs that helped him survive and get to where he is today. guess he's just another example of someone who's gotten by with the help of government, and now that he doesn't need them, wants to keep all his money in his pocket. that's the cynical side of me talking though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey