Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
taking more dollars than sending to the union sounds like a smart thing to me. while im not in favor of federal spending, if its there for the taking then you take it (as long as the strings attached arent a problem). sounds like you are getting good bang for your buck for your constituents. im against pork spending, but i dont blame those who have taken advantage of it.
I agree. Those states have politicians that are at least doing something for their state. What the hell have NJ politicians been doing to ensure they are getting a return on their tax dollars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yes, they are. but you said it, not me. lots of people who watch his show that i know seem to mindlessly repeat what he says. i don't even think i'd call what he's pushing "conservative" values. i'd put him more in the camp of the "religious conservative values", but i probably would use harsher words.

i think you've got some wishful thinking going on here. koch brothers anyone?

i'd hardly call scott brown an embarrassment from the point of view of obama's camp. he's helped with many key votes already. it's nice having another reasonable-minded centrist in there. he's for cutting spending, but he's not for cutting it blindly. though it seems kind of odd to me that he's against many of the very programs that helped him survive and get to where he is today. guess he's just another example of someone who's gotten by with the help of government, and now that he doesn't need them, wants to keep all his money in his pocket. that's the cynical side of me talking though.
oh the koch brothers, those evil billionaires that run AFP.

i dont think you can win the tea party endorsement by promising people money. but politicians control money and everybody wants some. so some will try to hijack the tea party for their own benefit. which goes back to why i want to take away as much power to spend from all politicians as possible. i dont say all dems are corrupt, all politicians are corrupt (except maybe ron paul but he probably is also).

Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
ok, if you want to go that route then im sure you dont question the intelligence of george w. bush. he has a ba from yale and mba from harvard. you gonna tell me you never questioned his intelligence?

obama has a very intelligent teleprompter and i know he wont disclose his grades or SAT scores.

to be honest, im not sure how to accurately judge their intelligence levels and i generally dont care to. but i can say with absolute certainly that palin's intelligence isnt why liberals hate her. i also think its an obnoxious liberal elitist attitude where you see them attacking palin supporters and glenn beck listeners, etc. its not true that either are any less intelligent or informed as anyone else. stick to issues and not towards unfounded attacks on groups of people.
Exactly right. Even though I use the term often enough, I don't like the term 'smart' b/c it's unknown to me what the best way to measure 'smartness' is. Besides this, there are so many smart people who have done such stupid things that have led to horrible outcomes. This applies especially to politicians who have attended elite Universities.

It's like if politician X is so smart, they why has (s)he been such a failure? Why did this politicians policies lead to the destruction of their city/state/country?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
taking more dollars than sending to the union sounds like a smart thing to me. while im not in favor of federal spending, if its there for the taking then you take it (as long as the strings attached arent a problem). sounds like you are getting good bang for your buck for your constituents. im against pork spending, but i dont blame those who have taken advantage of it.
so you're against it, but you commend those that do it? yep...sounds like a conservative to me. talk about reducing spending, but don't actually do it.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
oh the koch brothers, those evil billionaires that run AFP.

i dont think you can win the tea party endorsement by promising people money. but politicians control money and everybody wants some. so some will try to hijack the tea party for their own benefit. which goes back to why i want to take away as much power to spend from all politicians as possible. i dont say all dems are corrupt, all politicians are corrupt (except maybe ron paul but he probably is also).
how can you hijack something you helped create? cmon, you know that it's just another special interest group.
and i thought you just said that the guys who get lots of money for their state are doing a good job...what is it...take away their spending power, or good job for spending?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
so you're against it, but you commend those that do it? yep...sounds like a conservative to me. talk about reducing spending, but don't actually do it.
when i have my accountant do my taxes, i tell him to get me as much money back as possible. im totally in favor of giving as little to the government and getting back as much as possible. why be someone/state that gives more than you get when you could be the one that gets more?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
how can you hijack something you helped create? cmon, you know that it's just another special interest group.
and i thought you just said that the guys who get lots of money for their state are doing a good job...what is it...take away their spending power, or good job for spending?
because most tea party members are individuals who are primarily concerned with cutting the size of government down. but that group can be used to benefit certain people/groups. i am a member of my local tea party, our support isnt for sale nor does the tea party group tell people what to do.

take away their spending power. starve them of money.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
when i have my accountant do my taxes, i tell him to get me as much money back as possible. im totally in favor of giving as little to the government and getting back as much as possible. why be someone/state that gives more than you get when you could be the one that gets more?
personal taxes aren't exactly a comparison to what we were talking about. why do you pay too much to begin with? fix your claims so you're not giving the government an interest free loan, and then you don't get anything back.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
because most tea party members are individuals who are primarily concerned with cutting the size of government down. but that group can be used to benefit certain people/groups. i am a member of my local tea party, our support isnt for sale nor does the tea party group tell people what to do.

take away their spending power. starve them of money.
that's your opinion at least. most that i've met that claim they are "tea party" supporters are getting backing from larger groups, they aren't just putting in their own pocket money to move their agenda.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
personal taxes aren't exactly a comparison to what we were talking about. why do you pay too much to begin with? fix your claims so you're not giving the government an interest free loan, and then you don't get anything back.
but its the same concept. if you cant change the system, at least try to get the most out of it that you can. why be a loser?

i talked to my accountant about reducing my withholding but he tends to be more conservative. with the daughter and the house i bought at the end of last year, i figure i should get a decent amount back. maybe we can adjust it for 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey