Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 03:32 PM

42 posts, read 396,346 times

Advertisements

Need info about hackettstown, Flanders, Mt Olive Area. I work in Roseland NJ, and want a 4 Bed, 3 Bath. Looking for good school, nicely designed community/subdivision within $450K-$500K range. Saw some great houses in this area - but wondering why prices are bit low, and what are the goods or bads.

Can someone tell me:

1) Are these are known for good schools? Any specific community i should look for.

2) The School rating system is totally confusing me - any specific site i should use. I am using schooldigger.com as well as greatschools.org. Should i use any other site.

2) I was researching Flanders crossing - any opinion? Seems like very nice subdivision.

3) In case I need to switch job - how bad will be commute to Manhattan.

I already a Realtor helping me - so not looking for Realtor, but just want opinions of people who lived or live in the area. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:45 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Flanders is part of Mt. Olive, Budd Lake is also part of Mt. Olive and they both feed to Mt. Olive HS. Flanders is a nice area, low crime, prices are on the "low" side because of the housing bust and the fact that you are kind of out there, not because it's a crime ridden ghetto.

Personally, I feel the taxes in Mt. Olive are way too high for the schools you get. They are not Newark by any stretch, but I don't feel the bang for the buck is there.

Flanders Crossing is nice enough, don't feel the construction is all that great, those houses for whatever reason SKYROCKETED during the boom but are now down to modest levels.

I feel about the same for Hackettstown, whose schools are rated lower than Mt. Olive, but know people who have kids there and like the schools very much (one of those "you get out of it what you put in" things). Hackettstown's taxes are generally lower than Mt. Olive, but the homes are typically older and smaller. Hackettstown's Main Street is struggling.

Look into Washington Township (Long Valley), schools are rated much higher, and with your budget you can do well - it's closer than Hackettstown to Roseland but not as close as Flanders. I'd caution you to look "on the mountain" as opposed to "in the valley" with a commute to Roseland (any realtor in the area knows what that means). And, no matter where you decide, leave early for work.

If you switched to a job in Manhattan? Forget it. Long, bad commute I'd never recommend.

Good luck - if you have any other questions, feel free to post!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM

149 posts, read 275,470 times
I second Long Valley! Love, Love the schools and area! Good luck

Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 12,716 times
You may want to consider Chester as well. Good schools, high school is Mendham.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Flanders is part of Mt. Olive, Budd Lake is also part of Mt. Olive and they both feed to Mt. Olive HS. Flanders is a nice area, low crime, prices are on the "low" side because of the housing bust and the fact that you are kind of out there, not because it's a crime ridden ghetto.

Personally, I feel the taxes in Mt. Olive are way too high for the schools you get. They are not Newark by any stretch, but I don't feel the bang for the buck is there.

Flanders Crossing is nice enough, don't feel the construction is all that great, those houses for whatever reason SKYROCKETED during the boom but are now down to modest levels.

I feel about the same for Hackettstown, whose schools are rated lower than Mt. Olive, but know people who have kids there and like the schools very much (one of those "you get out of it what you put in" things). Hackettstown's taxes are generally lower than Mt. Olive, but the homes are typically older and smaller. Hackettstown's Main Street is struggling.

Look into Washington Township (Long Valley), schools are rated much higher, and with your budget you can do well - it's closer than Hackettstown to Roseland but not as close as Flanders. I'd caution you to look "on the mountain" as opposed to "in the valley" with a commute to Roseland (any realtor in the area knows what that means). And, no matter where you decide, leave early for work.

If you switched to a job in Manhattan? Forget it. Long, bad commute I'd never recommend.

Good luck - if you have any other questions, feel free to post!
Many thanks for the info ... few more followups if you dont mind:

#1. Got confused, what do you mean by the look on the mountain vs valley.
#2. Area like Fladers Crossing, do you think the HOA fee of $160/month is worth the value? They don't cover snow removal & front lawn i think - so just wondering if that sounds too high or not.
#3. Does long valley have community similar to Fladers crossing (meaning HOA maintained - ). Or Should i expect houses in large plot - mostly in rural area. The few I saw online, seemed to be in fairly rural area. We live in Bayonne, NJ - so family prefers bit of town look.
#4. Any other area you would recommend within that range, that would be closer to say commuting to NYC - someone mentioned Chester, but with that price ranges, houses that I see are lot smaller, and lot older.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozario View Post
Many thanks for the info ... few more followups if you dont mind:

#1. Got confused, what do you mean by the look on the mountain vs valley.
#2. Area like Fladers Crossing, do you think the HOA fee of $160/month is worth the value? They don't cover snow removal & front lawn i think - so just wondering if that sounds too high or not.
#3. Does long valley have community similar to Fladers crossing (meaning HOA maintained - ). Or Should i expect houses in large plot - mostly in rural area. The few I saw online, seemed to be in fairly rural area. We live in Bayonne, NJ - so family prefers bit of town look.
#4. Any other area you would recommend within that range, that would be closer to say commuting to NYC - someone mentioned Chester, but with that price ranges, houses that I see are lot smaller, and lot older.
LOL - I grew up in Bayonne so I know the culture shock!

#1 - Washington Township is HUGE (about 8 times the land size of Bayonne), one part is located on Schooley's Mtn ("on the mountain") and the other part is located at the bottom of Schooley's Mtn ("in the valley"). If you live "in the valley", you're looking at anywhere from a 10-20 min longer commute to Roseland. Both parts are equally fine places to live.

#2 - $160 seems crazy to me, but I'm not the expert. I know they have a pool which I'm sure is a large part of that fee.

#3 - Long Valley is definitely more rural than Flanders Crossing. That being said, there is a section "on the mountain" (Fawnridge) that does have an HOA, but it's something like $30/mo. Houses are more spread out (~half acre lots) - that is typically for the town. Flanders doesn't have a "town center" either (LV does, but it's tiny). It seems to me you want homes closer together with a downtown, correct? If so, that's Hackettstown, but like I said, it's struggling and I'd say the HS is marginally better than BHS. Plus it's a longer commute to Roseland.

#4 Chester is a lovely town, but a lot more expensive and while you can find something in your price range, it will be much smaller than anything you can find in Mt. Olive or LV. You'd have to make the determination if you want to trade house for time. You can check out Randolph/Denville/Rockaway as well, but you're not going to find "Broadway" in any of these places! LOL

Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbothran View Post
You may want to consider Chester as well. Good schools, high school is Mendham.
yes i looked at Chester ... bit more expensive and houses are lot older in general. Nothing really nice within $500K - probably that's unrealistic budget in Chester.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LOL - I grew up in Bayonne so I know the culture shock!

#1 - Washington Township is HUGE (about 8 times the land size of Bayonne), one part is located on Schooley's Mtn ("on the mountain") and the other part is located at the bottom of Schooley's Mtn ("in the valley"). If you live "in the valley", you're looking at anywhere from a 10-20 min longer commute to Roseland. Both parts are equally fine places to live.

#2 - $160 seems crazy to me, but I'm not the expert. I know they have a pool which I'm sure is a large part of that fee.

#3 - Long Valley is definitely more rural than Flanders Crossing. That being said, there is a section "on the mountain" (Fawnridge) that does have an HOA, but it's something like $30/mo. Houses are more spread out (~half acre lots) - that is typically for the town. Flanders doesn't have a "town center" either (LV does, but it's tiny). It seems to me you want homes closer together with a downtown, correct? If so, that's Hackettstown, but like I said, it's struggling and I'd say the HS is marginally better than BHS. Plus it's a longer commute to Roseland.

#4 Chester is a lovely town, but a lot more expensive and while you can find something in your price range, it will be much smaller than anything you can find in Mt. Olive or LV. You'd have to make the determination if you want to trade house for time. You can check out Randolph/Denville/Rockaway as well, but you're not going to find "Broadway" in any of these places! LOL
many thanks for the info ... definitely helpful. Yes, we were looking for something like bayonne (broadway) ... and did go to Randolph. After driving thru some hilly roads in randolph decided it wasn't for us LOl

Old 02-27-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prozario View Post
many thanks for the info ... definitely helpful. Yes, we were looking for something like bayonne (broadway) ... and did go to Randolph. After driving thru some hilly roads in randolph decided it wasn't for us LOl
well, if you didn't like the hilly roads in Randolph, then Long Valley is DEFINITELY not for you - it's 10xs hillier here! LOL

take a look at Denville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey