Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Jersey people known for being rudest people undeserved reputation, rude people everywhere you go, New Jersey City Data posters thoughtful, give good advice

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey08057 View Post
Oh i see. I shouldn't have quoted her whole post. my bad.
True, sorry too then.

I have to disagree with jerseygal4u though. I don't think people in SJ are generally rude. Depends where in particular you are I guess. Just like any other place in the state or in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
The only rude people I have seen in South Jersey are the people in Cherry Hill.

It seems like whenever there is a community that is full of high class yuppies, or people who are the first in their family generations to earn a very large amount of money, they get very big egos and feel the need to constantly show it off. In my area, drive into East Brunswick and you will encounter the same type of thing.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I have to disagree with jerseygal4u though. I don't think people in SJ are generally rude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
The only rude people I have seen in South Jersey are the people in Cherry Hill.
Yeah, jerseygal4u did not specify when the incident(s) occurred so we don't know if she is referring to Cherry Hill, Camden, Cape May, Mount Laurel, Vineland, Atlantic City, Deptford, or wherever.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,417 times
I'll never forget this one day, about two years ago, I was on the beach in Sandy Hooke (around this time of year) and was talking to a man who had moved hear from Utah. He said he found people here very polite and welcoming. I love when I get to be the polite, sometimes funny, person who welcomes others to our state and surprises them by being so (unless you're a PA drive in the summer, in which case I'm probably asking for your death )

Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
Default nope

I am from new jersey and that is sooo not true. I have lived here all my life (alot of years) and people are very kind and speak fine. Maybe since u moved from ohio u find us a little hard to talk to, but everyone from different places talks differently.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPetrie View Post
I am sorry , please dont bash me for this, but I need to vent . Since we moved from ohio to NJ I tried my best to get to like this place. But it is just getting more and more difficult. I have never had any bad/rude experiences with anyone ever in Ohio. I have been feeling bad ever since we moved here, and the innumerable people whom I have had to encounter in the process of starting life new here have only made it worse.I am not talking about people out there walking on the streets, but people whom I have had to deal with like preschool teachers, MVC employees, doctor's offices ,libraries and so on. I am not the sort of person who talks a lot, or even speaks loudly. I greet everyone with a Hi, and am generous with my Thank yous and sorry's . But people here seem manerless, do not have the courtesy to reply back, they look at you like you are ..I dont know !! I was talking to this lady at the local doctors office, I couldnt hear her saying something and she got so pissed off because I asked her to repeat ! Saying the words "Pardon me" got her angry ? Or how about the lady at the MVC who wanted me to answer her "just to the point" and not say an extra word ?
The irony of this whole thing is that , these people seem to suddenly become polite once you raise your voice and answer them back in their own tone. So does this mean I have to be rude so that people are good to me ?
I want to know if Americans have had such experiences or is it just people from other countries . Because really, when you are good and people are bad to you , you cant help but wonder if this is because they dont like the colour of your skin. I am just so sad, I dont feel like ever going anywhere else where I have to deal with such people. Please dont say things that will make me feel worse and thanks for being patient with me.
Hi. My Name is Carl and I work for a reservations department for Harrah's. I'm a journalism student.
I just noticed that whenever I take in calls from people from other states, they sound very nice and pleasant on phone. However, there are some cases where some people from Jersey call, and when I cant give them what I want, they raise their voice, talk incessantly and curse excessively. One New Jersey guy called in because he had a problem with his reservation, and I told him I'd be happy to help him with his problem but he was too uncooperative and kept cursing. I know that not all NJ citizens have such attitude but 80% of my incoming calls are from people (specifically from NJ) who are very rude and unresponsive (and tend to get irate when you ask em to repeat what they said). I hope they consider this one as a constructive criticism from a guy who lives half way across the globe. I'm from Manila...

Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,448 times
I think that New Jersey folks move at a very fast pace and can come across as impatient. I've seen it at the grocery store, at our local convenience store, while driving, etc. Woe to you if you don't accelerate promptly when the light turns green...you will have a line of cars honking at you. Even paying for an item at Wawa for example...better complete the transaction quickly or people will get grouchy with you. I also find most of the staff in Doctor's offices extremely rude for the most part and I'm not sure why that seems to be my experience. Same with some of my daughter's middle school staff. I remember being yelled at by a receptionist when I was struggling with one of the doors and couldn't get it open. It was pretty humiliating. I actually raised my voice to her and she backed down. Not sure why people need to be so abrupt all the time.

Our family is looking to make a move this year out of state. Our neighborhood has changed quite a bit since we bought here and it isn't a place where I wish to raise my kids anymore. Some of the kids have been quite brutal to my daughter over the years and it has just gotten worse. The parents aren't much better. Don't get me started on sporting events. There have been fights and some pretty nasty behavior. My good friend was just threatened last week by a lady spewing profanities. When she was asked to stop, she threatened to beat up my friend. We live in a well to do community so not sure if it is a money thing making people into giant horses asses.

I'm a pretty friendly outgoing person and try to be courteous...while driving, while shopping, at the gym, etc. I think that I just move at a slower pace and need to find an area that is slightly more laid back. Don't get me wrong...I've made good friends here in NJ but just need a different lifestyle at this point. Is everyone from NJ rude? Certainly not and when we do move, I won't bad mouth this state.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:29 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,361 times
Its interesting that people consider NJ rude. I've experienced extremely rude, unprofessional, and very racist people living in north east Pa(about 1hr+ west of Poconos). Yes, NJ is fast paced, but I generally don't find them to be rude. There are so many people in one place, and most are either courteous, or leave you alone, in my experience. There are jerks everywhere, but I've never experienced rude, unwelcoming people like I have in Pa.
When you do encounter a rude person in NJ, just use a stern voice to let the know you won't take their mess. They'll back down. In Pa, they get nastier, and call you rude. They hate to accept responsibility here, and love playing the blame game. Just read their nasty, rude, and RACIST posts.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmanala View Post
Hi. My Name is Carl and I work for a reservations department for Harrah's. I'm a journalism student.
I just noticed that whenever I take in calls from people from other states, they sound very nice and pleasant on phone. However, there are some cases where some people from Jersey call, and when I cant give them what I want, they raise their voice, talk incessantly and curse excessively. One New Jersey guy called in because he had a problem with his reservation, and I told him I'd be happy to help him with his problem but he was too uncooperative and kept cursing. I know that not all NJ citizens have such attitude but 80% of my incoming calls are from people (specifically from NJ) who are very rude and unresponsive (and tend to get irate when you ask em to repeat what they said). I hope they consider this one as a constructive criticism from a guy who lives half way across the globe. I'm from Manila...
"and when I cant give them what I want" Well, there is your problem right there. People from New Jersey want what they want, not what "YOU" want to give them!

Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,145 times
Everyone who just moved to New Jersey (Northern part) experience the same treatment from people who live here. I never grew up here and moved here in 2008. I came from Maryland where people are very friendly and well-mannered. My observation to many (not all) people in New Jersey is completely opposite of what I have seen in Maryland. People here are very unfriendly, ill-mannered and many things that you will never want in a person. New York City area and North Jersey is completely different from the states and places you have ever seen in America. They have very different culture which is a shock. There are many friendly people here but they have to accept the observations of people who came from other places: many of the people here are very unfriendly and obnoxious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey