U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM

46 posts, read 72,025 times

Advertisements

I want to become a High School Math Teacher
To be able to teach either 7-12th or 9-12th grade

Every time I search "Universities in New Jersey for Secondary Education Mathematics" it only comes up for Online ones for New Jersey.. I want to go to an actual school. Can you help?

Also is the degree.. BS Secondary Education Mathematics or BA Secondary Education Mathematics
I've seen it both ways what is the difference?
Also I'm just a Freshman in High School..

HELP!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 04:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 3,827,278 times
You're making your search criteria much too specific. Majoring in education with a focus in mathematics is possible at most New Jersey colleges and universities.

The single best online resource is the college board website. Search here for your career: College Admissions - SAT - University & College Search Tool (Don't be overly specific!)

BS is short for Bachelor of Science. BA means Bachelor of Arts. Math can be considered either a science or an art. In the big picture, it really doesn't make a big difference whether you obtain a BS or a BA. It's the math that counts.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,701,736 times
Become a Teacher in New Jersey | Learn How to Begin Teaching in New Jersey

Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,352,546 times
This is a list of colleges/universities in NJ that offer teacher education programs/degrees:

Teacher Education Programs New Jersey Colleges and Universities

You'll have to go to each college's/university's website and navigate to the education department for specifics.

My other advice is to open up to whoever is your math teacher right now...I'm sure he/she could advise you on what path to take. And don't forget your guidance counselor...that's what they're there for.

P.S. Good on you, being a high school freshman and already having such ambitions. I'm also impressed that you specify 7-12th or 9-12th grade...you've obviously thought about this very deeply. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:10 PM

I used that site.. and was matched with William Paterson University.. so I went to it and got this
William Paterson University - Undergraduate Major in Secondary Education (K-12)
It doesn't offer what I put in that search.. Major in Education Minor Math.. I believe William Paterson is Major Education Minor (DON'T KNOW) all it says is K-12 but I don't want to teach all of those I just want to focus on 7-12 or 9-12 ...

Old 02-25-2011, 05:12 PM

I don't even think my Guidance Counselor would take me seriously only being a Freshman..

Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM

My school starts asking about Careers when you become a Sophmore.. I will e-mail my Math Teacher.. and my last year Math Teacher now at the High School.. and ask them what college they went to as well.. but please keep giving advice..

Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM

16,833 posts, read 15,357,122 times
In the current political and economic climate a good district is not likely to hire someone without an actual math degree. If you want to teach at the high school level your best choice 100% is to get a BS in your field and not an education degree.

In all likelihood a masters would be even better. Additionally, it gives you more options than just teaching.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:34 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,352,546 times
Here is a link to Seton Hall's education program, specifically for people who want to teach at the middle or high school level:

B.S.E., Secondary Education, Overview, College of Education and Human Services - Seton Hall University, New Jersey

I'm not a teacher and therefore not an expert on this stuff...I'm linking to the Seton Hall website only because I know someone who got her teaching degree there.

Anyways, from what I skimmed on this website, it seems that you apply specifically to the School of Education within the University where you will have a teaching related core curriculum you have to complete. This is while you are majoring in whatever it is you want to teach...in your case, math. So it's like a double major.

It seems like you'd eventually be earning a dual degree...a B.S.E (bachelor of science in education) and a B.S. (bachelor of science) in mathematics.

Now again, this is just what I can glean from Seton Hall's program, but I don't think it's that much different at other schools.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:45 PM

12,545 posts, read 19,513,240 times
i would also reach out to some colleges' education departments and show your interest now. you may be able to do some early programs, shadow a teacher for a day, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey