Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 30,424 times

Advertisements

I got into Seton Hall and plan on attending next fall and had a bunch of questions but one that has stuck up at me is about getting my haircut. Where can I find a good black barber near South Orange? It seems like everyone tries to point students away from Newark/East Orange but considering that I grew up in a place like that, the area doesn't phase me. I don't want to have to travel all the way into the city/home to get a haircut so any advice would help. Plus, if anyone has any advice SHU or South Orange that would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Blanco's International Cuts at 1 Bloomfield Ave in Newark.

Blanco's International Cuts, Newark, NJ : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

Old 02-08-2011, 09:07 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
I'm sure once you get to school other students can point you in the right direction.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM

240 posts, read 580,925 times
Egypt's Envy
892 Broad Street ( downtown Newark~ next to city hall)
973 596-0303

Ask for ROB

the #31 bus goes downtown..

Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM

240 posts, read 580,925 times
Rob at Egypt's Envy

Black Barbers in North Jersey (Essex County)-rob1.jpg

Black Barbers in North Jersey (Essex County)-rob2.jpg

Black Barbers in North Jersey (Essex County)-rob3.jpg

Black Barbers in North Jersey (Essex County)-rob4.jpg

Black Barbers in North Jersey (Essex County)-rob-5.jpg

Black Barbers in North Jersey (Essex County)-rob-6.jpg

Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM

141 posts, read 243,719 times
Congrats young bro SHU c/o 01, their is a barbershop across the street from the campus on South Orange Ave next to Cluck U. Go a little farther down SOA towards the train station, their is one under the train bridge. Leave the rear entrance of campus go onto Irvington Ave. make a right there's a shop or you can make left onto Irvington Ave goto to Colusseum Gym their's a shop inside the gym. All 2 to 10 minute walks from campus.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:00 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theescapist94 View Post
I got into Seton Hall and plan on attending next fall and had a bunch of questions but one that has stuck up at me is about getting my haircut. Where can I find a good black barber near South Orange? It seems like everyone tries to point students away from Newark/East Orange but considering that I grew up in a place like that, the area doesn't phase me. I don't want to have to travel all the way into the city/home to get a haircut so any advice would help. Plus, if anyone has any advice SHU or South Orange that would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm currently a student at seton hall. best place in south orange is on the corner of ward and irvington across the street from blue ocean, its within walking distance from campus. dont get confused though, theres like an african braiding salon--clearly a female institution, dont go there. across from that though is a boss black barber shop, which is where i go. they do great fades. also on tuesdays and wednesdays if you show them your SHU ID, students get a discount $10 haircuts.

don't go to the place next to cluck-u, you'll wait forever and honestly i think the place on Irvington does a better job

Old 02-10-2011, 03:25 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,710 times
You should be fine. I went to school in Central NY. Guys used to have to get cuts when they went home on break.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 30,424 times
Thanks for the advice…it seems like a lot of people don't like going up South Orange Avenue towards Vailsburg and East Orange…is it really that bad? I went down South Orange Avenue (via a detour down Munn) from the exit off of the GSP and it didn't seem that bad to me…am I being stupid by underestimating how bad the area is or is there nothing to worry about other than the normal stuff to worry about in a urban area?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theescapist94 View Post
Thanks for the advice…it seems like a lot of people don't like going up South Orange Avenue towards Vailsburg and East Orange…is it really that bad? I went down South Orange Avenue (via a detour down Munn) from the exit off of the GSP and it didn't seem that bad to me…am I being stupid by underestimating how bad the area is or is there nothing to worry about other than the normal stuff to worry about in a urban area?
i've been all over newark and that's probably my least favorite part. if you're the wrong place at the right time, yeah it could potentially be kind of dangerous. it's definately different, driving thru there is ridiculous. its in a big poor city, the traffic laws arent enforced at all. it's not the worst place though, not by a long shot. if you keep to yourself, nothing will happen to you most likely. i'm white and it's a very black neighborhood, the west ward. i was on a bus once after midnight going thru there and i wasn't scared. no, people are scared of you when you're the odd man out in a group of people. they look at you like you're crazy. no one wants to mess with you.

the only trouble i ever had going through there was some guy tried to hustle me. he told me his wife was dying of cancer and he needed money for her meds. he expected me to hand over $60 cash. i had $2, which i gave to him incase his wife really did have cancer and he wasnt lying, in which case i would have felt bad. he wanted me to write down my name and address on a piece of paper so he could pay me back for the $2 i loaned him. i told him don't worry about it its only $2. he asked me for my name before i left and shook my hand, i gave him a fake name.

if you're from an urban area you will feel at home at SHU. you can get a real life experience at SHU or a classic college experience. if you're a prospective SHU student, most students will tell you not to go up that way. a good number of those students are over-privileged white kids that came to SHU cuz they screwed around in high school and SHU is not a hard school to get into. easy admissions. they get an e-mail from the school about a student who was a victim of a crime and they start buggin out. they also hate on SHU and say its a bad school in a bad area. its a great school in an area thats within a close proximity to bad areas. south orange itself is actually a very nice town but there is spillover from newark and east orange, its honestly rare though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey