Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I saw Christie's speech where he alleged that all teachers make 6 figures. That was a bald-faced lie.
you have a link with the quote of this allegation?

he could have said compensation including healthcare and other benefits which would probably put a lot of teachers over the 100k mark. even still i doubt you can find a quote of him saying all teachers earn over 100k a year in total compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you have a link with the quote of this allegation?

he could have said compensation including healthcare and other benefits which would probably put a lot of teachers over the 100k mark. even still i doubt you can find a quote of him saying all teachers earn over 100k a year in total compensation.
It was the 2010 state of the state address, I think. I watched 2 from the same time period on NJPTV's website. If it's still archived, it will be there. Enjoy.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
It was the 2010 state of the state address, I think. I watched 2 from the same time period on NJPTV's website. If it's still archived, it will be there. Enjoy.
why would i search from something that doesnt exist?

but you feel free to believe and repeat that christie said all teachers earn 6 figures.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Yeah, that's kind of why I asked this question. I didn't know if the pension was the only retirement that teachers were counting on, but apparently not for NJ, since they are paying into Social Security also.

IMO, I do think that they should get back what they put into the pension fund, but when you do the math on that, it's a pretty low contribution. Overestimating, a 5.5% contribution on 100K per year for 30 years of work is only about 150K total contribution.

However, if they collect a $40,000 pension for twenty years of retirement, that's 800K back for a 150K contribution. And that's not even counting the healthcare in retirement.

Pretty good deal if you can get it. I can see why they are fighting so hard. We're talking big money here.
Aside from the benefits(which is a big deal) its not so different from a traditional IRA contribution. The same contribution schedule over 25 years,would give you a value of roughly $650,00-$750,000 over the same time period. It's just a forced savings vehicle.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Aside from the benefits(which is a big deal) its not so different from a traditional IRA contribution. The same contribution schedule over 25 years,would give you a value of roughly $650,00-$750,000 over the same time period. It's just a forced savings vehicle.
How? It's only 150K in contributions. How did you get 650?

Yes, the healthcare benefits are a huge part too, I agree.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Do you think teachers make 100K? My sister & brother-in-law have taught for over 35 years & they don't make 100K, but then, they teach in South Jersey.

Pay varies by district as well as where in the state. I saw Christie's speech where he alleged that all teachers make 6 figures. That was a bald-faced lie.
That calculation was in the teacher's favor.

If I did a more detailed calculation assuming a lower rate of pay, their contribution would a lot LESS and and the taxpayers would be on the hook for even more. You're right, I bet most teachers don't even contribute 150K over the course of their careers.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Do you think teachers make 100K? My sister & brother-in-law have taught for over 35 years & they don't make 100K, but then, they teach in South Jersey.

Pay varies by district as well as where in the state. I saw Christie's speech where he alleged that all teachers make 6 figures. That was a bald-faced lie.
By the way, How much do you estimate your sister and BIL have contributed in total over their careers to the pension fund, and how much do you estimate they will get back in the form of a pension?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
BTW, How much do you estimate your sister and BIL have contributed in total over their careers and how much do you estimate they will get back in the form of a pension?
I've never asked, since it's none of my business. They are not expecting big bucks from their pensions, that I know.

Oh, & in their district, they are only allowed to claim 1 dependant for healthcare. That has always been the case (They can claim one for a reasonable price. Any additional at at a big enough price That most teachers don't if their spouse has healthcare. When she had the first kid, my sister considered staying home until I reminded her of that, so she went right back. She claimed the kid. When the 2nd kid came along, my brother-in-law claimed that kid.

For one contract they got the "good" Blue Cross & Blue Shield. My sister was so excited that she told me. Next contract it was right back to middle of the road, comparable to anything available in mediocre companies in private industry.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:17 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
I've never asked, since it's none of my business. They are not expecting big bucks from their pensions, that I know.

Oh, & in their district, they are only allowed to claim 1 dependant for healthcare. That has always been the case (They can claim one for a reasonable price. Any additional at at a big enough price That most teachers don't if their spouse has healthcare. When she had the first kid, my sister considered staying home until I reminded her of that, so she went right back. She claimed the kid. When the 2nd kid came along, my brother-in-law claimed that kid.

For one contract they got the "good" Blue Cross & Blue Shield. My sister was so excited that she told me. Next contract it was right back to middle of the road, comparable to anything available in mediocre companies in private industry.
stop shattering the illusion, will ya? whatever will we do if we don't have teachers to hate?!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Yes, I think there is a perception out there that teachers don't pay into Social Security, and I wasn't sure if that was true or not.
i thought the typical talking point is that congress members don't pay social security?

snopes.com: Congressional Pensions

i believe some states have programs where the teachers can opt out of social security. not positive though. good thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey