U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,281 times

Advertisements

Well, long story short I'll be working in Woodbridge. Currently living in State College, PA (hometown is Bethlehem, PA).

I'll be a freshly graduated 22 year old, looking for a good place with plenty to do at night. I keep hearing Hoboken, but not sure if the price range hits the nail on the head. I'm also thinking maybe New Brunswick just due to the college nearby.

I'm considering living with a friend who will be working in Skillman, so if there are any options that give a decent commute to both please let me know as well!

What are some additional areas/complexes that would offer viable options without breaking the bank?

Looking for rental options, budget preferable $1,000 or fewer (roommates available).

Thanks!

Last edited by mgs5053; 02-27-2011 at 07:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,776,115 times
New Brunswick is fun, but it's a college town. It's not super cheap, of course, and there are some pretty dumpy apartments there.

Which is fine, I'm just not sure it's worth it for someone who isn't going to school there, kwim? There are some nicer places, but they probably fall out of your budget range, unless you get a roommate possibly. If you really want to live somewhere where you can walk to the bars, then it will definitely serve that purpose.

Maybe Highland Park and Piscataway, which is right across the bridge from NB?

Sounds like you've already ruled out Hoboken.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,635 times
Default visit here!

[url=http://top-ten-in-the-world.blogspot.com]Top ten[/url]

Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,281 times
Yeah, I see your point if I'm not going to school there. Hoboken definitely isn't ruled out, in fact it's where I've been looking most since that's what I keep hearing. It seems there are some options within my price range, but very limited.

Jersey City seems to have significantly better pricing and apartments that fit into my price range (with a roommate or two), and someone mentioned to me the other day that it is still a young community as well. Does anyone know how Jersey City compares to Hoboken? They seem pretty darned close.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:31 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,888,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs5053 View Post
Yeah, I see your point if I'm not going to school there. Hoboken definitely isn't ruled out, in fact it's where I've been looking most since that's what I keep hearing. It seems there are some options within my price range, but very limited.

Jersey City seems to have significantly better pricing and apartments that fit into my price range (with a roommate or two), and someone mentioned to me the other day that it is still a young community as well. Does anyone know how Jersey City compares to Hoboken? They seem pretty darned close.
Parts of Jersey City are very rundown, but other parts are definitely worth it, the areas along the waterfront (full of young professionals), or, for something cheaper, near Journal Square.

Also worth mentioning is Montclair, which is also something of a college town with the very large Montclair State University at the northern end. It's a little older (many young families with kids), but may be more within your price range for a rental.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 PM

328 posts, read 964,441 times
Just do NOT expect New Brunswick to be anything like State College. New Brunswick is a lot more congested and city-like.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:17 PM

11 posts, read 26,441 times
Consider looking at the towns surrounding Hoboken on the north. You'll get a lot more for your money in Weehawken, North Bergen, etc and can be in Hoboken in minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey