Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

5 posts, read 18,271 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a home in Freehold, NJ. I was initially insured with Cumberland who hired an independent inspector who determined that the house might be EIFS. When I knock on the exterior of the home it does sound hollow. I now have a policy with Liberty Mutual and they have also ordered an independent inspection. Half the homes I saw in Freehold when I was house hunting had the exact same exterior. Which insurance companies are covering this? This is really starting to become a circuitious process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
I have only heard that many insurance companies won't cover, or charge extra for a Rider. I think it's not cheap.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:41 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,105 times
Most standard admitted companies will not cover EIFS construction unless it was constructed after 2002 and is water managed. EIFS construction is a breedig ground for mold as it is essentially styrofoam over wood. When not iwater managed or not installed correctly (which is the case most of the time) there is nowhere for the water to drain to.

All companies are going to send an inspector out to appraise the home for both replacement cost as well as the condition of the home.

Unfortunately you might have to seek coveraged in the excess and surplus market unless the home is over $1M to replace in which case you can go to Chubb, Chartis or ACE which are all high net worth insurance carriers that will cover this type of construction in most instances.

My advise would be to call an independant agent (I can give you a name if you message me) as they will have a vast array of companies to choose from and will know who and who will not cover this type of exposure.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 PM

391 posts, read 1,475,799 times
OP, did your home inspector (not insurance inspector) pick up on the fact that the home had EFIS?

jck, i work in the surplus lines industry, and most of our companies either won't write EFIS, or Exclude Coverage for EFIS related losses.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:25 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,105 times
Hal, I am an underwriter for a very large insurance company company and I was not sure about if E&S companies would write it. When I was on the broker side like 5-7 years ago at least Lloyd's or Lexington were still writing the coverage, but I have been out of that game for awhile now!

Thanks for the information, not that it is going to help the OP. Everytime I drive past a home for sale that is constructed of EIFS I cringe.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:16 PM

The home was initially brick with vinyl siding. The synthetic stucco was added about 2.5 years ago. The inspector from the ins. carrier came last week and made NO mention of the exterior construction material so hopefully we'll be in the clear! Wish us luck!

JCK7778,

Thank you for offering the contact #. I will be in touch if things don't work out but I'm confident & hopeful they will.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 PM

Also, there is draining for water under the stucco along the sides and rear of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey