Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
You actually underestimate ur transit network as there is already an express bus called 552 that is from Atlantic city to wildwood It runs 24/7. Also in cumberland the 553 that goes to atlantic city from bridgeton cumberland is also 24/7 but is very frequent running about every 30 mins it also has crowding problems that would put some northern routes to shame!!!!! In terms of ridership. The 410 however is the weakest link only running every 2 hours from philly to bridgeton via salem and gloucester. Also the 408 and 313 lines already run to millville from philly 313 being faster. Also ur right about salem not so much but on point with cumberland 408 runs throughout the day. Salem and gloucester don't warrent full rail service (excpet the upcoming glassboro line). So yeah its flawed there also needs to be a line from salem to cumberland. Salem is the worst not by a long shot hunterdon and sussex have salem beat in that category hands down!!!!! 401 and 402 run in salem along rtes nj45 and us130 how frequent should they run???? should a line be added to rte 40 and 49??? also based on these links what needs improvement???http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0401.pdf and http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0402.pdf and http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0410.pdf and http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0408.pdf and http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0553.pdf and http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T1313.pdf and NJ Bus Map for Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem Counties based on these link I mean review them carefully. What needs to be improved and what is wrong with these lines?? O and atlantic city lines were improved over the years. salem does not warrent rail I was on a full bus there the traffic just isnt there
When it comes to mass transit to say that South Jersey puts North Jersey to shame in any type of mass transit talk is a joke in itself. You can talk about 24/7 buses all you want but the fact remains that South Jersey mass transit sucks and will continue to suck until NJT starts making serious commitments to improving mass transit in South Jersey. Adding a slightly faster bus route for only a couple of roads isn't going to change much. South Jersey needs more rail lines, plain and simple! Until the key issues get addressed nothing is really going to change and that the truth!

I don't know what part of New Jersey you live in but judging by your lack of knowledge about South jersey mass transit, one could easily assume you do not live in Southern Jersey which would give you a better understanding of how bad mass transit really is down here compared to Northern New Jersey.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 05-20-2011 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 10:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When it comes to mass transit to say that South Jersey puts North Jersey to shame in any type of mass transit talk is a joke in itself. You can talk about 24/7 buses all you want but the fact remains that South Jersey mass transit sucks and will continue to suck until NJT starts making serious commitments to improving mass transit in South Jersey. Adding a slightly faster bus route for only a couple of roads isn't going to change much. South Jersey needs more rail lines, plain and simple! Until the key issues get addressed nothing is really going to change and that the truth!

I don't know what part of New Jersey you live in but judging by your lack of knowledge about South jersey mass transit, one could easily assume you do not live in Southern Jersey.
Hes one of those New Yawkers

Old 05-21-2011, 05:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:

I don't know what part of New Jersey you live in but judging by your lack of knowledge about South jersey mass transit, one could easily assume you do not live in Southern Jersey which would give you a better understanding of how bad mass transit really is down here compared to Northern New Jersey.
I MEANT 553 ALONE south jersey transit network sucks I know that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus the cape may line and glassboro lines and extensions to millville will do the trick plus the 24/7 buses only apply to atlantic county.
I never said south jersey was better read my post I know how bad it is

Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hes one of those New Yawkers
YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL ME WHAT TO SAY GOT IT dude

Old 05-21-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:

I MEANT IN TERMS OF RIDERSHIP LEVELS!!!! NOT SERVICE LEVELS THE 553 REMEMBER THAT. I was told this by a 553 bus driver

Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Maps....

West Trenton line
Number of lines : 1
Stations : 4
Projected Ridership : 15,000

This project will take the growing amount of people off the NEC which is reaching capacity for NJT. Most of the people using Hamilton , Princeton JCT and Jersey Avenue live along the West Trenton line in Hopewell , Montgomery , and Hillsborough Township. One seat rides to Penn station will be offered with the New ALP 45DPs and service to Hoboken Terminal. The Project will cost no more then 160 million $$$. Mostly due to the CSX ROW purchase and restored tracks , its looking like the whole thing with be doubled tracked. This project should be up by 2018.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/001_AlignmentMap_1207.pdf

Project : MOM Network
Number of lines : 2-3
Stations : 8-16
Projected Ridership : 120,000

This Project will serve the growing population of Monmouth , Ocean and Middlesex county. 2 lines will be built initially and a 3rd later , along with Bus Rapid Transit along Route 9. The Matawan line is in limbo , but the NIMBYs have backed off Red Bank and Monmouth JCT lines. All lines will have service to Hoboken Terminal and New York Penn station with the Newly purchased ALP 45DP's. Theres alot of TOD projects lined up with this project and the region should explode faster then its current pace. This project is only supposed to cost 350 Million $$. It will mostly be spent on track replacement , New Tracks , New High level stations , 2 New Yards , Grade Separated Interchange at the NEC / Monmouth JCT. ROW purchase and other misc stuff is also factored into the cost.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/an_cp_m...ndstations.pdf

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Maps....

West Trenton line
Number of lines : 1
Stations : 4
Projected Ridership : 15,000

This project will take the growing amount of people off the NEC which is reaching capacity for NJT. Most of the people using Hamilton , Princeton JCT and Jersey Avenue live along the West Trenton line in Hopewell , Montgomery , and Hillsborough Township. One seat rides to Penn station will be offered with the New ALP 45DPs and service to Hoboken Terminal. The Project will cost no more then 160 million $$$. Mostly due to the CSX ROW purchase and restored tracks , its looking like the whole thing with be doubled tracked. This project should be up by 2018.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/001_AlignmentMap_1207.pdf

Project : MOM Network
Number of lines : 2-3
Stations : 8-16
Projected Ridership : 120,000

This Project will serve the growing population of Monmouth , Ocean and Middlesex county. 2 lines will be built initially and a 3rd later , along with Bus Rapid Transit along Route 9. The Matawan line is in limbo , but the NIMBYs have backed off Red Bank and Monmouth JCT lines. All lines will have service to Hoboken Terminal and New York Penn station with the Newly purchased ALP 45DP's. Theres alot of TOD projects lined up with this project and the region should explode faster then its current pace. This project is only supposed to cost 350 Million $$. It will mostly be spent on track replacement , New Tracks , New High level stations , 2 New Yards , Grade Separated Interchange at the NEC / Monmouth JCT. ROW purchase and other misc stuff is also factored into the cost.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/an_cp_m...ndstations.pdf
Now this will rock!!!!!! I hope they extend one of the MOM lines to vineland so it can cross the AC line and cape may line and even the millville lines when those lines are done the NJ network will truly be complete heck they may be able to speed up the 313 cause with the rail It wont have to go all the way to cape may anymore.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,187 times
Pardon me, but as a RESIDENT of the area served by the 553, I can attest to it sucking, because I'd never ever consider taking it unless I absolutely had to. Have you ever ridden it? Some of the people on it are downright creepy and disgusting, and some even criminal (like the one who robbed my friend). So although it does get you there, it does not work well. Personally, I'd rather see the train restored, because at least on the train there's more room and the conductor walks down every so often (making me and others feel safer)

Old 05-27-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Pardon me, but as a RESIDENT of the area served by the 553, I can attest to it sucking, because I'd never ever consider taking it unless I absolutely had to. Have you ever ridden it? Some of the people on it are downright creepy and disgusting, and some even criminal (like the one who robbed my friend). So although it does get you there, it does not work well. Personally, I'd rather see the train restored, because at least on the train there's more room and the conductor walks down every so often (making me and others feel safer)
actually even if the train is restored the 553 will still remain the most direct route to atlantic city. Also those are false styreotypes. I have used it before so I have to greatly disagree the problem with that line is its 24/7 service at night it can get creepy however during the day sit next to the driver then sleep. The train from vineland will not reach atlantic city. According to the projects NJT plans. Unless you want to go all the way to cape may and get 552 the 553 will remain uncontested for a long time. Plus the line is extremely overcrowded. The line is literally a sardine can ppl always complain that there isnt enough service on it. Sorry buddy but the train only goes as far as millville. The 553 however needs an upgrade bigtime. Some B/O's have little tolerance for crap from criminal. But then again I must have been very lucky or sleeping helps.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 14,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Lol. Im a driver on the 553 and I can say one thing. Smh. Creepy? Thats funny. As for being robbed next time tell your friend not to flash expensive items around. You can be robbed on the 139 190 166 or the 197.

As for a train the 553 would still be the bread winner. The people want Atlantic City service. Right now there needs to be more 553 service then just 30mins. I get people complaining all the time. My runs are usually packed. I use to work the 710am from upper deerfield and before I got to commerce st in Bridgeton I had 38 ppl and I havent even left Bridgeton yet. If you find the bus creepy dont ride it....its that simple. You can take those cabs...El Chulupian Taxi...Vineland Yellow Cabs who will charge $15 for a simple 5 mile trip.

One thing I agree with you on is the fact that the 553 does not work well. There needs to be variants created to enhance the service. ex. 553X which would be an express variant of the 553 running express from Atlantic City to Vineland and making local stops to Millville 2nd n Pine and then vise versa back to AC. The 553 local service would be enhanced from the result of a 553X. And also the 313 needs to be enhanced to have service running to Vineland Transportation Center daily via Cumberland County College and S.Jersey Hosp. With select runs going to Phila as it does now. the new 313 would be Wildwood Cape May-Vineland with selected runs going to Phila at the same frequency it does now.

*EDIT*

Actually even better for the 313. Every other bus would goto philly with the others going to Vineland Transportation Center.

Now the 410 something seriously needs to be done with it asap. Those mexicans kill that route along nj77. I do like the service pattern in the am rush from 555am to 715pm. Now extend that pattern to 10am. Ive been one 410s that was completly packed. The problem with the 410 is 80% of the runs work other routes which really affects the ontime part. Runs 14 & 22 work the 410 from 1249pm til 1158pm.

If you South Jersey peeps see that the service is so bad then complain. NJT in the north ppl complain all the time and they get what they want. Me being from ny is something I would do if I was you guys. Its easy to talk how bad sj service but if you gather enough ppl and get a petition started njt will do something.

Last edited by 553X Millville; 05-27-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey