Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,204 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Mount Laurel, NJ
Why are you moving? I am taking a new job in florham park, nj and my wife works in Burlington Twp, NJ.

Will you buy or rent? We will rent at first.
What is your budget ? Around $1700-1800/ mo. for rent.
What kind of place are you looking for ? Somewhere with a nice town feel. We are looking at the Princeton area for now. We're thinking 2-3 Bedrooms. We're coming from a townhome condo.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? We have a 1 year old and a pug, so school won't be an issue just yet.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Safe enough to walk the dog at night and family oriented. Young is also a plus.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Nice downtown area, commute should be less for my wife to go to Burlington Twp if possible.

Like I said, we are looking at Princeton area and it looks like the commute would be 1/2 hour to Burl Twp and 1 Hr to Florham Park?

Any ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Yikes. Yeah, those are far apart.

I'd say live out along the NJ Turnpike/Rte 130 somewhere.

The commute from Princeton up 206 to 287 to Florham Park is going to be a nauseating nightmare. It's also not worth it if you were thinking of living in Princeton itself, which is cute-looking but not exciting.

Where you pick depends on how long each of you wants to commute.

Maybe Robbinsville or Hamilton, which would be closer for your wife. Still going to be a long ride for you, but at least it will be on the Turnpike.

Last edited by Ann77; 03-03-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 07:58 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
If it where me I would think about the Hillsborough or Montgomery Twsp areas of NJ and surroundings.
Looks like the total trip from Burl to FlorPk is about 1 1/2 hrs, so if you find a point in between, you could conceivably be about 45 mins for esch of you, assuming not too much traffic of course.

Also think back roads and lots of nice country houses along those back roads.

For instance, if you look at this evil demon racist Google map, you can visualize what I mean:

Florham Park, NJ to Burlington, NJ - Google Maps

Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwait View Post
Where are you coming from? Mount Laurel, NJ
Why are you moving? I am taking a new job in florham park, nj and my wife works in Burlington Twp, NJ.

Will you buy or rent? We will rent at first.
What is your budget ? Around $1700-1800/ mo. for rent.
What kind of place are you looking for ? Somewhere with a nice town feel. We are looking at the Princeton area for now. We're thinking 2-3 Bedrooms. We're coming from a townhome condo.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? We have a 1 year old and a pug, so school won't be an issue just yet.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Safe enough to walk the dog at night and family oriented. Young is also a plus.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) Nice downtown area, commute should be less for my wife to go to Burlington Twp if possible.

Like I said, we are looking at Princeton area and it looks like the commute would be 1/2 hour to Burl Twp and 1 Hr to Florham Park?

Any ideas????
last I checked you can take a train to newark use light rail to broad then use another train to florham park some trains are express

Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
last I checked you can take a train to newark use light rail to broad then use another train to florham park some trains are express
Come on now.

Or you could just drive in your car like a normal person.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,204 times
Just by looking at the map, it looks like Princeton, Lawrenceville, Princeton Junction, etc would give me a 1 hr commute to Florham Park, and my wife around 1/2 hour. Are these numbers at all accurate in terms of commute time?

Also, we are thinking about only doing this for a year or so and then moving all the way up there when my wife is able to switch jobs.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwait View Post
Just by looking at the map, it looks like Princeton, Lawrenceville, Princeton Junction, etc would give me a 1 hr commute to Florham Park, and my wife around 1/2 hour. Are these numbers at all accurate in terms of commute time?

Also, we are thinking about only doing this for a year or so and then moving all the way up there when my wife is able to switch jobs.
You'll need to travel up 206 from Princeton up to Somerville and then hook up with 287 for that ride, as you can see on the map. That stretch of 206 is about 15-17 miles of traffic torture IMHO. Lights, traffic, stop and go the whole way, you name it. I think it would be more like 1.5 hours most days during the typical rush hours. To me, it's more the nature of the drive that would make me batty.

The further up you can live up 206, the less torturous it would be for you of course, but then you'll be increasing your wife's commute which she won't be happy about. For example, picking Montgomery over Lawrenceville would save you time, but it would just add it to her time.

For Princeton Junction, you would probably still end up taking the Turnpike. Even for Lawrenceville, you might find that 195 to the Turnpike is better.

I dunno. It's not going to be a fun commute for you either way, so I guess it's one of those pick your poison situations. I would pick a town to the east of Princeton with easy access to the Turnpike and 130 for your wife, but again just my opinion.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:34 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
If you choose wisely, you can avoid most of 206 or all of it by taking back roads which most of the time have very little traffic.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
If you choose wisely, you can avoid most of 206 or all of it by taking back roads which most of the time have very little traffic.
There are some, true, still not that quick though.

I love that area, but I can't stand that drive from Princeton up to Somerville. I call it the Can't Get There From Here corridor.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:34 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Princeton is just about dead center and has a large walkable artsy town. Check out PJ's pancake house the next time you're in the area. You should also check the little town of Cranbury, near Princeton. It's small, but has a few nice shops, places to eat, gifts, second-hand book store, antique shop, etc. and is on a huge lake that the townspeople skate on during the winter months.

Cranbury is about 50 min. to Mount Laurel and about 60 minutes to Florham Park. (based on google maps)

Burlington Twp. is large; is your wife working in Mount Laurel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey