Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 AM

858 posts, read 2,994,212 times

Advertisements

As I understand it, if a town wants to increase taxes above the 2% cap, they need to go to the residents for a vote, which is good.

However, what about if the choice is increase property taxes, or services go away like garbage collection?

But the real issue here is if residents say no, our property taxes will hold steady at the 2% cap, but with the elimination of township garbage collection, residents will be forced to contract on their own to a private contractor for services. Additionally, they will most likely not see their tax bill lowered for the service the township will no longer provides.

So, while the town may hold the line on taxes at the 2% cap, residents will now be forced to pay out of pocket for the service. In essence this is a loop hole, as the township really did not hold to the 2% cap, as the taxes that once supported garbage collection are used for everything else; where is the incentive for a town to hold the line on expenses, and unless they can hold the line on salaries and benefits, there's really no way to hold to the 2% cap.

Last edited by marc515; 03-05-2011 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:52 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Whats wrong will private Trash service ?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,415,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
As I understand it, if a town wants to increase taxes above the 2% cap, they need to go to the residents for a vote, which is good.

However, what about if the choice is increase property taxes, or services go away like garbage collection?

But the real issue here is if residents say no, our property taxes will hold steady at the 2% cap, but with the elimination of township garbage collection, residents will be forced to contract on their own to a private contractor for services. Additionally, they will most likely not see their tax bill lowered for the service the township will no longer provides.

So, while the town may hold the line on taxes at the 2% cap, residents will now be forced to pay out of pocket for the service. In essence this is a loop hole, as the township really did not hold to the 2% cap, as the taxes that once supported garbage collection are used for everything else; where is the incentive for a town to hold the line on expenses, and unless they can hold the line on salaries and benefits, there's really no way to hold to the 2% cap.

Pretty much yes. My friend is a council man in a local town and they had to jump through hoops to get below the 2%. What they did was bring down garbage collection to one day a week. The problem is what will they do next year? I guess get rid of it all together. Then the next year they will maybe do some sort of fire dept insurance like they have done in the midwest. A small fee for the fire dept to cover you house in case of a fire. So after everything is said and done your cost will go up no matter what. A Fee or a tax its all the same thing. You say potato I say....

Old 03-05-2011, 06:38 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
But it's good if things get privatized the competition will bring costs down. I will be able to choose the lowest priced garbage collector for my own pick-up. Eventually, over time, all other modes of cutting will be exhausted and they will be forced to apply the 2% cap to the remaining public sector workers because there will be no more services that they can privatize. This isn't a solution that will work over night.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,776,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Whats wrong will private Trash service ?
End up costing you more since property taxes are deductable, and private garbage collection is not. In the towns where it is private, the entire town is just run by one family, and there is no choice competition. Each cousin just handles different parts of the town.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
But it's good if things get privatized the competition will bring costs down. I will be able to choose the lowest priced garbage collector for my own pick-up. Eventually, over time, all other modes of cutting will be exhausted and they will be forced to apply the 2% cap to the remaining public sector workers because there will be no more services that they can privatize. This isn't a solution that will work over night.
Ohh great that way we can bring down property values and everything else in NJ. Without all those greedy public workers who will buy those mansions around NJ. Thank god we bailed out the Bankers so they could remain in luxury with their bonuses.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
End up costing you more since property taxes are deductable, and private garbage collection is not. In the towns where it is private, the entire town is just run by one family, and there is no choice competition. Each cousin just handles different parts of the town.
Come on dont you know the free market works soo well in this country. Come on havent you seen how cheap it is to go to the DR. of late? Free market at its best.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
But it's good if things get privatized the competition will bring costs down. I will be able to choose the lowest priced garbage collector for my own pick-up.
How do you know privatized garbage collection would be cheaper? For it to be worthwhile to the collection company, and affordable to you, most people in the same town would have to choose the same collection company. Big Joe is not going to send his truck to Montclair to pick up 5 houses, then go to Verona for 2 houses, etc. etc. It just wouldn't be economical. I think the only way it is economical for the consumer is for the town to contract with 1 private company (that's what my town of West Orange does now).

What they really need to do to save money is reduce pickup to once per week rather than twice per week like they do now. Or, depending on cost savings and location, I would gladly drive my garbage to the landfill myself.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
I guess they could have no cap. Can't see how that would possibly be a better alternative.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Property taxes aren't deductible anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey