Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 03:54 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times

Advertisements

Have you guys heard about the town crier sworn in?

Do you think this is really necessary?

What if every city in New Jersey got one? Lol.

*Check out the website for his photograph* Fair Lawn Town Crier is sworn in - NorthJersey.com

Fair Lawn Town Crier is sworn in

Tim Yuskaitis, a police officer with New Jersey Transit and a Fair Lawn resident, was sworn in - in nearly full costume - as the borough's town crier on Jan. 25.
"This is just a rental," Yuskaitis told the audience. "Wait until you see my other costume."
A staple of public service that dates back to the Middle Ages, town criers - also known as "bellmen" - were the chief means of news communication with the people of the town prior to the spread of literacy among the public. In modern times, the role of crier is ceremonial and usually voluntary. Yuskaitis said his role would be to perform as town crier at various public functions including "events of sport and folly" and festivals.
"I accept this appointment with a sense of duty and honor," Yuskaitis said. "I will carry myself with dignity, style and ethics wherever I am to travel as your town crier. I accept this with no reservations or ulterior motives. I also accept the challenges that this position may bring to me."
Following his unanimous appointment by the mayor and council, Yuskaitis joined the American Guild of Town Criers - a national organization for ceremonial town criers. As a guild member, Yuskaitis will be able to participate in competitions with other town criers.
William I. Joseph, secretary of the American Guild of Town Criers, awarded a medallion to Yuskaitis to mark his entry into the guild.
"I know it's an unusual position but I think you've found the right man for the job," Joseph told the council.
Joseph is also the official town crier of Morris and Sussex counties and the towns of Belvidere and Newton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey