Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 14,283 times

Advertisements

thinking about moving to highland park, but will have to take the train everyday for work in NYC from New Brunswick.

It costs way too much to park in the Ferren Deck every day.

Is there a good way to get from Highland Park to New Brunswick?

I know there are the 810 and 814 NJT busses, but they run not even every hour, so if you miss one you're in trouble.

Just wanted to know if there's any shuttles or any other way to make the trip from highland park to new brunswick easily.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:42 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,364,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1983 View Post
thinking about moving to highland park, but will have to take the train everyday for work in NYC from New Brunswick.

I know there are the 810 and 814 NJT busses, but they run not even every hour, so if you miss one you're in trouble.

Just wanted to know if there's any shuttles or any other way to make the trip from highland park to new brunswick easily.

Thanks
Just a suggestion, but why not try driving to Edison instead of New Brunswick. This way, you start out going in the right direction, rather than away from your destination.

I am not sure if there is a waiting list for parking, but you can look here and call to find out:
New Jersey Transit

Monthly permits, if available at Edison without a wait, are $55/month, which beats New Brunswick Parking Authority (which is $60/month).

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
If you live on the south side of Highland Park you can walk to the New Brunswick train station. For example, do a search on Parktowne apartments. I know people that lived in that building and it's about a 10-minute walk to the train station.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
What end of Highland Park do you live in specifically? If you live closer to River Rd. or Raritan Ave near River Rd., you mind as well walk or ride a bike across the Rt 27. bridge to the NB Train Station.

Also, you might be better off driving to Edison instead, if you live at the north end of HP. The Edison station is right on Rt. 27 and is one station closer to NYC than NB is, so you'll shave off about 5 mins from your commute. I haven't heard anything about Edison having a waiting list. Both Jersey Ave in NB and Princeton Junction do have years' long waiting lists though.

There used to be a Rutgers bus (L bus) that made a stop in HP on River Rd that went to the train station. However, Rutgers got rid of that stop and the L bus altogether this past fall due to low ridership.

As for other modes of transportation, there are taxis. Are you able to catch the 810 or 814 on time or early in the day?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I lived in Highland Park a few years ago, and I walked to New Brunswick every day. It was nice most of the time (except in torrential downpours or snow). When the weather was really bad I'd take the bus. Between the 810 and 814, one or the other was coming down Raritan Ave every 15 minutes. And from the NB train station you can always take a cab back home if the weather is poor or you're tired. I think the cabs used to charge $4 or $5 for a ride to HP.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 14,283 times
thanks all - great info here.

seems like i have options - nice day or hit the timing right, take the bus to NB, or take the 10 minute drive to the Edison train station. I read last year it got over 400 new spots so i don't think parking will be a problem.

anyone know how/who to get in touch with for a yearly parking permit @ Edison?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:22 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
If you look at the station information on the NJTRANSIT website (in the "rider tools" tab), it lists the owners of the parking lots and 1-800 numbers to call for more info.

New Jersey Transit

Old 03-11-2011, 12:41 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1983 View Post

Thanks
ur inaccurate they run every hour!!! and are more frequent when they merge in basically if you are at a stop where BOTH 814 AND 810 STOP COMBINED THEY ARE MORE FREQUENT THAN HOURLY!!!!!! TOWARDS NEW BRUNSWICK THAT IS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey