Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Our country is far less union now then it was in the 50's and 60's when our country was economically strong.
As long as manufacturers can find cheap labor overseas and as long as "American" support those companies will will continue to fall behind economically.

We need more workers here who pay taxes and we need less American Billionaires running their companies in China.

Buy American and support our workers.

USA Made Clothing Jeans and Shirts by All American
I actually am of the mind that buying American when better foreign alternatives exist is, counterintuitively, anti-American. We need to get stronger and beat foreign competition. Buying American simply because of who made it and where, rewards inferior effort and inferior quality. That cannot be good for America in the long run. It weakens us and makes our competition stronger. For us to beat the foreign competition, we need to make better products at cheaper prices. Like the Japanese did to us in the 1970's-1980's.

Hey, we have an advantage: no shipping. That's a built in edge right from the start.

So, buy American, if the product is the best. But if the best product is German, or Chinese, then it is best for Americans to buy the foreign product until the American companies produce a better version at a cheaper price.

Buying American simply because it is made here, ultimately will weaken and destroy us. In other words, racism or nationalism is not a good criteria for product selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So do you include yourself in that group? Have you looked into buying products made here?

I just bought a quality leather couch made in NC, it cost twice as much as one made in China but I did not send any of my money to China and I am on a fixed income.

I can least afford to buy American but I support American workers Union and non union as long as they are Americans.

If you choose to support China that's up to you but you better hope your employer doesn't decide to go foreign labor.
I do try and look. But at the end of the day I'm not going to pay more for an inferior product if I have a choice.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I actually am of the mind that buying American when better foreign alternatives exist is, counterintuitively, anti-American. We need to get stronger and beat foreign competition. Buying American simply because of who made it and where, rewards inferior effort and inferior quality. That cannot be good for America in the long run. It weakens us and makes our competition stronger. For us to beat the foreign competition, we need to make better products at cheaper prices. Like the Japanese did to us in the 1970's-1980's.

Hey, we have an advantage: no shipping. That's a built in edge right from the start.

So, buy American, if the product is the best. But if the best product is German, or Chinese, then it is best for Americans to buy the foreign product until the American companies produce a better version at a cheaper price.

Buying American simply because it is made here, ultimately will weaken and destroy us. In other words, racism or nationalism is not a good criteria for product selection.
You are right, but more often than not, the product quality is similar on a dollar for dollar basis. If all things are equal, I go out of my way to buy American products. It is better for us if an American has a job than someone in China or Japan. These days, I have been finding that you get what you pay for. Sure, you can always find a cheaper, Chinese alternative, but these products usually fall apart. Give me a Briggs and Stratton engine over some no-name Chinese engine any day. I love GM cars too. I have a Chevy Tahoe and a Chevy Corvette that are both perfect cars for their respective purposes. Anyone that has kids can tell you that these Chinese made toys you buy in Toys R US are WAY inferior to the toys made 20-30 years ago in America. They are all flimsy plastic that breaks the minute your kid touches it. Stuff that is made here is usually much better quality than the crap made in 3rd world countries, so I am happy to pay more for better quality.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You are right, but more often than not, the product quality is similar on a dollar for dollar basis. If all things are equal, I go out of my way to buy American products. It is better for us if an American has a job than someone in China or Japan. These days, I have been finding that you get what you pay for. Sure, you can always find a cheaper, Chinese alternative, but these products usually fall apart. Give me a Briggs and Stratton engine over some no-name Chinese engine any day. I love GM cars too. I have a Chevy Tahoe and a Chevy Corvette that are both perfect cars for their respective purposes. Anyone that has kids can tell you that these Chinese made toys you buy in Toys R US are WAY inferior to the toys made 20-30 years ago in America. They are all flimsy plastic that breaks the minute your kid touches it. Stuff that is made here is usually much better quality than the crap made in 3rd world countries, so I am happy to pay more for better quality.
I'd have to make an exception for the Corvette. I know the Porsche is the better car, but there is something about a Vette. I still remember the time my mother appraised Joe Piscopo's house (yes, it's a name drop, sue me...) and we drove up in my plain vanilla Corvette and he let me drive his ZR1 King of the Hill! I drove it VERY SLOWLY...

Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
It really amazes me how cheap people can justify buying foreign made goods just because they think they are cheaper, I do have a problem with Americans who enjoy the American way of life yet fail to support American workers.
Anybody remember when Americans built houses and hired American workers? How about the guy who landscaped your property or pumped your gas or waited on you in the corner grocery store?
Sure foreign labor or undocumented labor is cheaper but at what cost? Less taxpayers means those still working have to make up the difference and to also contribute to those receiving unemployment benefits

10% unemployment yet yet people make excuses why they buy foreign (especially Chinese goods) or hire foreign labor.

Make all the excuses you want but when your job goes foreign go complain to somebody else.

Last edited by PDD; 03-08-2011 at 07:14 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM

22 posts, read 66,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Good luck with getting people to buy American. People will buy the cheaper product 99% of the time.
The problem is that now Americans can not make a lot things (at least lower tech, labor-intensive stuffs) properly. We bought a sofa from Pottery Barn for more than $3000 because it was made in Georgia, USA. We got it 3 months later, and one leg is about half an inch shorter than other legs so the sofa wobbles and shakes a lot. Pottery Barn sent someone to our home to fix it by tilting the leg so the leg can touch the floor by the edge instead of standing on the floor squarely. After I set photos to Pottery Barn customer service, they had to take it back.

Sean

Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_nj View Post
The problem is that now Americans can not make a lot things (at least lower tech, labor-intensive stuffs) properly. We bought a sofa from Pottery Barn for more than $3000 because it was made in Georgia, USA. We got it 3 months later, and one leg is about half an inch shorter than other legs so the sofa wobbles and shakes a lot. Pottery Barn sent someone to our home to fix it by tilting the leg so the leg can touch the floor by the edge instead of standing on the floor squarely. After I set photos to Pottery Barn customer service, they had to take it back.

Sean
Your first mistake was buying a sofa at a Pottery store. You wouldn't go shopping for dishes at a Auto Zone would you?
No matter where products are made stuff happens but as long as the store made good you should not be complaining too much.

My Uncle bought a brand spanking new Rolls Royce from Manhatten RR and on the way back to NJ the trans gave out on the GW bridge.
Stuff Happens.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_nj View Post

Sean
This is nonsense. Defects happen anywhere. Our problem is not in quality. If anything, our quality is better than most. Our problem is pricing. While I will gladly pay more for better quality, there are many people that either wont or cant.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i have not been presented a good enough case for buying american goods at an equal quality but greater price. until i am, i wont do it.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
NJ is a very expensive area. I can understand not wanting to pay high labor costs when it is a relatively cheap product. What I dont understand is why these companies dont set up operations in places like Kansas, Kentucky, etc.

Average Mexican wage is $4.15 an hour. You could go to states like the above and pay $12 an hour for factory workers. $40,000 or so average for management. You would get much higher skilled labor then in Mexico, save on shipping/distribution costs, better quality control, and could say the product is made in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey