Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
We are a family of 3 moving from Ohio to NJ. What are good places to live in NJ if you have to travel to Times Square for work everyday?
We are looking for a safe town , and a place where there are good schools nearby for our kid. Not to mention easy commuting to NY..
Please help. Looking over the internet is not helping at all.
How is Secaucaus , North Arlington, Edison ? How about Jersey City ?Is it very expensive ?
HappyGal, have you looked Central Jersey (Rahway, NJ). Town is improving a lot and is closer to all major highways and shopping centers. If your budget is mids $400.000, the Inman Heights part of the town is very clean save and the public schools are good, walking distance. My oldest one walks to the middle school in the spring and fall and when is not raining. If you want I can give you a very professional realstate agent from REMAX, that will show you the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 PM

17 posts, read 81,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGal View Post
We are a family of 3 moving from Ohio to NJ. What are good places to live in NJ if you have to travel to Times Square for work everyday?
We are looking for a safe town , and a place where there are good schools nearby for our kid. Not to mention easy commuting to NY..
Please help. Looking over the internet is not helping at all.
How is Secaucaus , North Arlington, Edison ? How about Jersey City ?Is it very expensive ?

I would stay out of Jersey City if you're looking for good schools and safety. I live in Jersey City and have no complaints, however I don't think I would want to raise a child here.

Edison is fine, and the commute isn't too bad to Midtown. Secaucaus is in Hudson County(So you are with in 5 miles or so of NYC), the schools are alright from what I have heard (not the best,nor are they the worst either) .

Try Middlesex, Union, Northern Monmouth, and Bergen (though very expensive in most parts) counties. These counties are more suburban, and in my personal opinion, have better school systems and are much safer than Essex and Hudson (in general).

Anything south of Monmouth County you are looking at over a hour commute (without traffic) to Midtown.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,658 times
Default Moving To NJ From Ohio

If you will be commuting from Jersey to NYC, you may want to review the NJ Transit schedule and determine the location near a train station. Union in Union County is relatively safe and has a brand new train station on the Kean College campus. There are a few rental properties and large homes; the school system is fair to good. A lot depends on what you are already accustomed to and what your needs are. I worked in midtown NY for 15 years and would never have done it if the train/bus was not close by.

Last edited by Rosa Rosa; 11-12-2007 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,817 times
It all depends on you, what you like around you.......... NJ have almost good schools every were. But Cetral Jersey is in top for living and then looking into commute time and all you can stay in north Jersey, Costly yes every thing is costly here, first rent a place for a year and then decide what you like, Jersey city, I will not go there, Nop! Not my type with kids, but Edison yep and other northen area. Secaucaus - nop!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 33,134 times
Once again, come to Lambertville, NJ.... just up-river from Trenton NJ Train Station. Google it if you can't visit. No big eyesore malls but they're close enough to drive to. Rolling hills...no monster highways...but you can get to them when necessary. Cafes, shops, riverside walks, country roads. Taxes are cheaper on the Pennsy side of the Delware River, where there are towns like New Hope, Yardley, Morrisville, Newtown, etc. with fast access to the same Trenton station. All depends what you can afford in those different locations. But you can't beat life along the Delaware. It's small town personable living, with access to everything. Check it out! totally different than north Jersey.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:13 PM

28 posts, read 46,014 times
Try north plainfield

Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 AM

10 posts, read 33,134 times
Come to West Jersey, along the Delaware River, with it's hills and vistas and small town life it's your BEST option. Specifically Lambertville, Hunterdon County... great town to raise kids... none of that suburban sprawl stuff... train station just 15 minutes away via a two-lane country road. Art, cafes, community events, NYC an hour by train or bus... euro style restaurants, antiques, flea markets, and tiny nearby villages dating back to the Revolution. Avoid dense over-built central Jersey. The west is the best.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 AM

11 posts, read 36,051 times
Default Need info on where to sublet for 3 months

Hi guys!

I will be working in Newark Edison and Brooklyn in the months June July and August respectively. Newark is in the middle of the three, right? I need to be close to public transportation, and needed help in figuring out which area would be the best option for me to live in, so I could commute to all three places from one location!

I look forward to any advice I can get!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey