Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 1,774 times

Advertisements

I found a wonderful property, however it is serviced by a well, not a municipal water supply. Through research, I have learned that the well will need to be tested annually. I am more concerned about hidden costs and what my options would be in the worst case scenario if the well ran dry. How much does it cost to drill another? How long do wells typically remain serviceable? I would especially appreciate feedback from folks with direct experience. thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganMF View Post
I found a wonderful property, however it is serviced by a well, not a municipal water supply. Through research, I have learned that the well will need to be tested annually. I am more concerned about hidden costs and what my options would be in the worst case scenario if the well ran dry. How much does it cost to drill another? How long do wells typically remain serviceable? I would especially appreciate feedback from folks with direct experience. thanks!!
The following is a good read on well and septic (since they usually go hand in hand) care and maintenance:

Hunterdon County Health Services

You don't "need" to test your water annually (its not required by statute, etc...) but if you want to you certainly can. As far as costs, you need to have a good home inspector look over all of the equipment that can be inspected (well head, pressure tank, softener-if applicable) and ensure that its in good working order, and if not, that the life expectancy is assessed so that you can negotiate appropriately. As far as a well running dry, that's not a common occurrence, and as long as you are not exceeding the delivery rate of the well, it's generally not an issue. The real issue is the pump. The pump is placed in the bottom of the well after it is drilled so it is not possible to inspect it-it either works or it doesn't. That said you should do your best to discern the age, since they generally last about 20 years. Replacing a well pump involves hauling up the pump along with all of the delivery pipe and electrical cable and then dropping the new one down the casing-very labor intensive.

With regard to serviceable life of the well itself, modern deep drilled bedrock wells started to come into widespread residential use post WWII and are still producing with no issue 70 years later. Cost to drill another well can vary quite a bit depending on how deep the aquifer is and what has to be drilled through in order to get to it. In one area you could find water at 75' and only have to drill through 30' of rock at the bottom, and in another area you could have to go as deep as 250'. Again though, provided you're not filling your swimming pool while your entire family showers, cooks, washes clothes, and does dishes, you should not be exceeding the delivery rate of the well.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:52 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
We had well water when we lived in Sussex Cty. The only time we had any issue was when the motor was struck by lightening. No water until we had it replaced. We never had it tested., nor did our buyers ask for one. Wells are common in that area.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 1,774 times
This was very helpful-thank you so much. I didn't realize just how commonplace wells are in this part of NJ. I will make sure to pay close attention to the age of the pump.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:59 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times
How deep is your well?

We have well water and it was only tested prior to our closing.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:03 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Keep in mind that wells run on electricity. So during a power outage you will have no water. I grew up in a house that had well water and we were in an area prone to power outages. It's pretty annoying when you can't flush the toilet...

Also, well water tends to be very hard with a lot of minerals. So it is not going to taste very good for drinking. My parents had to install a water softening filtration system because the hardness of the water was causing leaks in the pipes throughout the house.

These are just a couple things to keep in mind.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Give you one quick tip. Wells are extremely local. There is no good advice except from locals and the closer the better. There simply are virtually no general rules

The well is evaluated by quality and quantity. The local pretty much determines how reliable a well is and its likely life.

Our wells here for instance are deep and expensive. Pumps fail every ten or twelve years and have to be replaced...but the wells almost never fail.

Quality and quantity will both be a very local issue. On shallow wells a block may make a difference. Here the deeper wells go into a large aquifer and there is little difference over miles other than elevation which determines how deep you have to go to reach the aquifer.

There is generally some sort of a well maintenance operation who may be able to give you a very good view of the local well situation and your own equipment.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:46 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Keep in mind that wells run on electricity. So during a power outage you will have no water. I grew up in a house that had well water and we were in an area prone to power outages. It's pretty annoying when you can't flush the toilet.
Forgot to mention that. A generator with a hardwired transfer switch capable of powering the pump should be considered mandatory IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Also, well water tends to be very hard with a lot of minerals. So it is not going to taste very good for drinking. My parents had to install a water softening filtration system because the hardness of the water was causing leaks in the pipes throughout the house.
Not necessarily-my in-laws in Sussex County have the best tasting water I've ever had and they have a modern drilled well with no softener at all. The mineral content and resulting taste of the water depends entirely upon local geology as lvmensch points out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
We have well water and it was only tested prior to our closing.
The only time testing is mandated by state law is when properties change hands. Any other testing is purely at the owners' discretion. That said, it's not a bad idea to do once in a while.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:15 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,442 times
Badfish740 is correct. Lived in a house in Harding Township with a well for 25 years. Replaced the pump in year 24. House was 10 yrs old when we bought it. Water tasted great. We were in a high water table so the guy that replaced the pump said we'd never run out of water. Only issue as mentioned above- not electric- no water.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:41 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Badfish740 is correct. Lived in a house in Harding Township with a well for 25 years. Replaced the pump in year 24. House was 10 yrs old when we bought it. Water tasted great. We were in a high water table so the guy that replaced the pump said we'd never run out of water. Only issue as mentioned above- not electric- no water.
Above ground storage mostly solves that problem. Put in a 500 gallons tank and keep it mostly full. Getting 3 or 4 feet above ground and it will supply toilets and such. Add a couple of hundred worth of pump and batteries and you can get through a couple of days. If you live in the back country than you get a good generator set up.

We have very reliable electric service so we ignore the problem. worse come to worse we carry water to the toilets and bath in buckets. But once in 15 years? We will survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: