Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times

Advertisements

I've been working as an Executive Assistant for over 10 years, and recently found myself unemployed. I received a severance package so I am not really concerned right now ... My issue here is that I feel as though I have developed a bit of apathy when it comes to going back into the corporate world. I've always worked for senior executives and I'm just tired of meaningless, cut-throat and overly serious environments ... With all of this, I went back to school for a 4 month Certified Nursing Assistant Program and did very well. Now I want to continue on for my RN license. But, I'll need to work while going to school, I can't afford to be unemployed forever- not at 41. Through research, I've learned that CNAs only make the most $12.00 an hour ... that's 3x less than what I was making ...

So here I am, apathy, no plan, feeling down because I hate corporate ...

Please, no judging or harsh critics. Positive, inspiring and helpful words and insights welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,708 times
with the current shortage of nursing aids, it seems you should be able to negotiate a higher salary than $12 p.h.
How long until you get the RN license?

Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Try & go the step route if you like nursing
Most Votech schools have LPN courses that are for a year at most, once you get your license you will make more money. Then use the employers reimbursement to go another 12-18 months for your RN

TALK to unemployment immediately to see if retraining funds are available and would a Votech school for LPN qualify.. they pay & you continue your UI benefits while going..if so start applying before the fall classes start
I know Dover Business school now has a LPN course but not sure how far from you they would be
Good Luck

Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Can't say I blame you on the whole "down on corporate" thing- corporate America has really become a ****hole, and it seems that the bigger the company, the worse it is.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
The issue with unemployment is that I worked in NY and live in NJ, so they aren't so willing to help me out- They told me I have to keep looking in NY even though I live in NJ ... I have no desire to go back into NY at all.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:12 AM

122 posts, read 479,777 times
I wish good luck with your decision, whatever it is. Not easy to make a change.
Take in account that if you change careers, you won't be making the same as an experienced Exec Assistant. However, down the road, the pay should increase as you get experience. You didn't make top dollar when you first starting working.

Please weigh your options carefully, cost of schooling, starting salary etc.
Maybe you could get a job as an assistant in a less stressful company?
Worked in highly stressful companies as an exec assistant; but now work for a more casual, fun company. Still stressful days at times, but overall enjoying what I do. Plus I dress casually; jeans everyday. Saving on dry cleaning!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:17 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I've been working as an Executive Assistant for over 10 years, and recently found myself unemployed. I received a severance package so I am not really concerned right now ... My issue here is that I feel as though I have developed a bit of apathy when it comes to going back into the corporate world. I've always worked for senior executives and I'm just tired of meaningless, cut-throat and overly serious environments ... With all of this, I went back to school for a 4 month Certified Nursing Assistant Program and did very well. Now I want to continue on for my RN license. But, I'll need to work while going to school, I can't afford to be unemployed forever- not at 41. Through research, I've learned that CNAs only make the most $12.00 an hour ... that's 3x less than what I was making ...

So here I am, apathy, no plan, feeling down because I hate corporate ...

Please, no judging or harsh critics. Positive, inspiring and helpful words and insights welcome.
It's ok!! Do you have closets? Here is the solution:

Man turns closet into living space |West Palm Beach News, South Florida Breaking News, Forecast, Video from WPTV

Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
with the current shortage of nursing aids, it seems you should be able to negotiate a higher salary than $12 p.h.
i dont think there is a shortage of CNAs. there is a shortage of RN's but a CNA is a much lower level on the health care food chain.

LPN is a step up and in NYC is pretty much a CNA level person that went for some additional education and bettered themselves. i think LPN is a 1 year program but im not sure. RN is generally a higher level of person.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:08 PM

229 posts, read 923,611 times
I would put forth that temping is a good way to keep some income rollign in while going to school

In addition, it allows you the opportunity to check a place out in case you decide you might want to come back to the corporate grind.

My company is always looking for excellent EAs, so feel free to reach out to me if you want to go this way.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:17 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,273,135 times
Take the opportunity to figure out what your passion is. Then pursue something along those lines. Maybe something creative yet lucrative? An online based business? A lot of people start their own businesses around middle age, many of them had been laid off and figured out that they wanted to do something totally different. Being self-employed can be really rewarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey