Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,753 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently live in Portland, Oregon and I have the chance for a new position in Fort Lee, New Jersey. I have never been to New Jersey before, only NYC one time in my life a few years ago. What sort of prices can I expect to get a room possibly in someone's house near(ish) that area? I see many places online (Paramus, Newark, Hoboken, Jersey City, etc....). Seems like there are a lot of options. If I decide to move I would be coming with no car so I have to be able to access public transporation easily. Let me know your thoughts, thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,062,470 times
Fort Lee has buses to Manhattan but I'm not sure how many local buses go through there. You might start in Fort Lee or Cliffside Park and see what bus lines go through. Hoboken and J.C. have the best public transportation of the towns you listed, but that's mostly to & from NYC, not necessarily up and down Hudson on NJ side. Go to njtansit.com and plug in some "from" & "to" options and see what comes up.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:24 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,542,723 times
All I can suggest is look around the town online over the net using the usual methods to get a feel. Fort Lee is the first town you enter as you cross the GeeDub, GWB, G Wash Bridge in NJ.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:58 PM

303 posts, read 751,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Fort Lee has buses to Manhattan but I'm not sure how many local buses go through there. You might start in Fort Lee or Cliffside Park and see what bus lines go through. Hoboken and J.C. have the best public transportation of the towns you listed, but that's mostly to & from NYC, not necessarily up and down Hudson on NJ side. Go to njtansit.com and plug in some "from" & "to" options and see what comes up.
ACtually her job is in Fort Lee not ny, and yes JC does have good public transportation that doesn't involve ny as he says. There is the HBLR that goes through most of hudson county and the PATH trains also stay inside JC, just most people see it as being bulit simply to serve ny, which isn't true. Sorry i am sidetracking.

Living in the JC area would be easy for you to get around with no car but the issue would rise once you have to go to work. There are no trains or light rails that go all the way to fort lee, though there have been plans for a few years. There are buses that head to fort lee, you could take the 158 bus to at the Port Imperial Light Rail stop or lincoln harbor. These would be your only options really until the light rail stop in fort lee is built which could take years to finally get going. Fort Lee is a suburb in NJ so that prety much explains why public transportation sucks getting there.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,802,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
ACtually her job is in Fort Lee not ny, and yes JC does have good public transportation that doesn't involve ny as he says. There is the HBLR that goes through most of hudson county and the PATH trains also stay inside JC, just most people see it as being bulit simply to serve ny, which isn't true. Sorry i am sidetracking.

Living in the JC area would be easy for you to get around with no car but the issue would rise once you have to go to work. There are no trains or light rails that go all the way to fort lee, though there have been plans for a few years. There are buses that head to fort lee, you could take the 158 bus to at the Port Imperial Light Rail stop or lincoln harbor. These would be your only options really until the light rail stop in fort lee is built which could take years to finally get going. Fort Lee is a suburb in NJ so that prety much explains why public transportation sucks getting there.
There is no LRT stop planned for Fort Lee....only Englewood , Ridegefield park and North Bergen...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:02 AM

303 posts, read 751,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
There is no LRT stop planned for Fort Lee....only Englewood , Ridegefield park and North Bergen...
your right, my mistake but it wouldn't be hard to imagine they do build a station seeing as they would have to go through fort lee or at least pass right by the town when or if the Englewood stop is ever built

Old 03-14-2011, 03:29 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,024,242 times
The HBLR to 158 is definitely an option if living in Jersey City or Hoboken. It is a bit of a pain though since they'd be going against peak direction bus traffic as I currently do as well (live in Queens, work in Edgewater). Morning buses only run once a half hour or so, and evening buses are the same until 6:40, after that they're once an hour and you really can't depend on them to show up on time. But it IS an option. You might want to consider looking up the cliffs in maybe Cliffside Park, there's more bus options but unless you're near the commercial aves you'll be wishing you had a car on a lot of occasions.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,753 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the help guys, going to njtransit.com was very helpful. looks like there are quite a few busses that will run to the Fort Lee bus plaza right near the GW bridge which is where the office would be. I still don't know if i'm moving yet, I have a feeling it will be alot different than here

Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,961,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvraider03 View Post
Thanks for the help guys, going to njtransit.com was very helpful. looks like there are quite a few busses that will run to the Fort Lee bus plaza right near the GW bridge which is where the office would be. I still don't know if i'm moving yet, I have a feeling it will be alot different than here
That's probably an understatement!

If at all possible, you should really make a trip out to visit the area before you make the leap...

Old 03-15-2011, 01:59 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
That's probably an understatement!

If at all possible, you should really make a trip out to visit the area before you make the leap...

...but if you live in Fort Lee you will have the most spectacular view across the river, the likes of which you won't find in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey