Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 19,989 times

Advertisements

I am about to move to a rental in Midland Park, NJ. Due time constraints and a baby on the way I have been forced to take a rental along a known freight train line, I hope some are familiar with it. It basically originates in the Paterson area, runs through parts of Hawthorne/Ridgewood crossing over Goffle road and Wyckoff ave in Midland Park. It continues through Midland park crossing over Sicomac Ave and then parallels Bank st where there are a lot of homes(where I'd be living).

Does anyone know the schedule of this train, maybe someone even knows how loud it is for the people that live along the line? Fortunately, my rental will be month to month so worse case scenario I'll just have to leave and find something else.

Thank you for time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:42 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07432life View Post
I am about to move to a rental in Midland Park, NJ. Due time constraints and a baby on the way I have been forced to take a rental along a known freight train line, I hope some are familiar with it. It basically originates in the Paterson area, runs through parts of Hawthorne/Ridgewood crossing over Goffle road and Wyckoff ave in Midland Park. It continues through Midland park crossing over Sicomac Ave and then parallels Bank st where there are a lot of homes(where I'd be living).

Does anyone know the schedule of this train, maybe someone even knows how loud it is for the people that live along the line? Fortunately, my rental will be month to month so worse case scenario I'll just have to leave and find something else.

Thank you for time.
I think it's once a day in the evening. I've never seen it during the daytime.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I think it's once a day in the evening. I've never seen it during the daytime.
Thanks for the response. From my own research I concluded that it ran in the middle of the night once a night but wasn't sure if it was consistently the same time. People have been telling me between 4:30-5:30am. My main concern is how loud is this thing for the residents along the tracks.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM

39 posts, read 184,581 times
It's the NYSW. They don't run that many trains.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:06 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
For now its once or twice a day....but later this decade or in the 2020s a commuter line will be restored along that line.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:52 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07432life View Post
Thanks for the response. From my own research I concluded that it ran in the middle of the night once a night but wasn't sure if it was consistently the same time. People have been telling me between 4:30-5:30am. My main concern is how loud is this thing for the residents along the tracks.
Once or twice a day makes sense. I probably don't hear or see the one in the AM since I am not up at that time.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you are renting and can leave. It just sort of rumbles through. I kind of like the sound of a freight train though, I grew up right near a freight line. Now a commuter train line is another story!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:03 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I lived on Greenwood Avenue (the other side of that track), so the train ran behind the house I rented. My then-husband complained that I'd found a place along a train track, and then the first time the train came through, he slept through it. It's not a big deal. You get accustomed to it quickly.

My grandmother lived on Bank Street most of her life, and there was passenger service back then (and when I was a kid), so there were a lot more trains. Again, no big deal, people are adaptable to things like this.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
I also think there is 1 train at night. We hear it faintly on Godwin ave

we actually looked at this neat old farm house on Bank but someone bought it before we had a chance to get more info and they tore it down and built a new home.

IT would be cool if they restored commuter traffic. It'd probably do well for the home values?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like its something we'll just get used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey