Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:07 AM

683 posts, read 464,254 times

Advertisements

Someone I know is graduating college this spring with a BSN. (BS with an RN).
She needs an entry level job at a hospital, and has been searching. Not many places have accommodations for a graduate with no nursing experience.

Can anyone else come up with thoughts on where to look for work? Any "nursing" employment agencies? Where can someone in the nursing industry start?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by NotWonderWoman; 03-18-2011 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 07:12 AM

306 posts, read 605,316 times
Can't offer much help on this...there are still grads from 1 year ago that can't land a job in nursing. All I can say if apply anywhere and everywhere, even if it means out of state.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
may want to look in nyc. though i know a girl who graduated in brooklyn and hasnt had much luck.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 AM

4,152 posts, read 4,170,113 times
well, to land a job is easy. You just have to understand job hunting itself is a full time job. If you just hoping on job board 5 minutes a day and forward a few minutes, and then expect to land a job. Keep on dreaming.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
If you just hoping on job board 5 minutes a day and forward a few minutes, and then expect to land a job. Keep on dreaming.
My perception is that the OP is doing more than merely hoping to find a job.
Hopefully I am correct that she is actively searching for jobs, and just wanted some additional direction for that job search.

I can tell you that, while nursing is still projected to be better than most occupations for the number of job openings over the next 10 years or so, the reality is that the closure of a number of hospitals has led to a current oversupply of nurses--at least in the NYC/NJ metro area. As just two examples, the closure of Muhlenberg Med Center in Plainfield and St. Vincent's Hospital in Manhattan mean that hundreds of veteran nurses are now out of work, and are competing with new nursing graduates.

I am told that job opportunities for nurses are better in California, but I cannot confirm the accuracy of that statement. If some research indicates that California is indeed a better place for obtaining employment as a nurse, would the young woman in question consider moving to The Golden State?
If she is willing to relocate, she might want to investigate job postings in California.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:14 PM

98 posts, read 268,953 times
I was once a nursing student, but dropped out of the program due to the cattiness, backstabbing (and that was from the students alone) and I haven't looked back since....

There's this mantra of "become a nurse, amke good money, and save a life." That has to be the biggest lie there's out there. Hospitals are not hiring, in fact, they're laying off staff. Back in the day, when 1 nurse had about 6 patients, the nurses must overlook 10+ patients. Burnout? Stress? Too bad--you signed up for this.

Look at any hospital's hiring page. They want BSN's with experience, which means you'll have to start out in Long Term Care (Nursing Homes) and deal with the patients with dementia, physical, and psychological disorders. That's the "proving ground" of those that are serious. Like I said, "You signed up for this."

As a previous poster said, your chances are pretty much nil in NJ unless you "know" someone. You might have to look in NYC, or even Pennsylvania. But those aren't guarantees, either.

Yes, those stories you hear are true: nurses that graduated 2 years ago STILL don't have a job. The nursing schools are pumping out way too many graduates in an over-saturated field, including the fact that nurses aren't retiring like they were in the past due to the economy.

I know my post went off topic, but if anyone is interested in nursing, research it. Know that it's what you want. If you're in it to snag a doctor husband or "in it for the money", don't even waste your application fee. It's a cut-throat, "my way or no way" profession that is not what it once was.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 PM

The person who is graduating wants to be a nurse, albeit four years ago when she started college things were a bit different with hiring.

The problem now, is that although people are hiring (although not as much as years ago), everyone is looking for at least a years worth of experience, so it's a Catch 22 situation.

Not many hospitals offer opportunities to train these young graduates (and let me tell you, she would do it for no pay). They call them "externships" and they are few and far between.

California might be a bit too far, and I'd prefer (as you have probably guessed it is my daughter), that she stay on the East Coast.

She's been going to hospital websites, etc., but just wondering if there wasn't any type of BIG employment agency for such positions.

It's not easy, and I don't think the school is helping much, except with the ONE hospital that they work hand in hand with, but, then again, it's a matter of numbers....they are pumping out many graduates....

Old 03-18-2011, 03:06 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
To the OP,

Your friend should check out the RWJUH Employment Listing and the indeed.com website.

She should also apply for positions that may "prefer" those applicants who have 1, 2, or 3 years experience. Even if she is not selected, it will get her resume into the hospital's system.

Another step she needs to take is to be certified or credentialed in a specialty. If her current school does not have a Continuing Education (CE) program, she should check out the following sites to see what steps she needs to take in order to be certified.

American Nurses Credentialing Center - ANCC - American Nurses Credentialing Center - ANCC

American Nurses Association

ABNS - American Board of Nursing Specialties

NJ State Nurses Association

And she should take advantage of this opportunity: NJ State Nurses Association

Good luck to her!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:49 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
try St claires hospital in Newton, NJ. I have a friend who just got a nursing job there with the same situation.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 AM

Wow to Steve and Runny. Thank you very much for the GREAT advice. Just what I was hoping/looking for.

The problem with her certification is, she's not sure which state she will be working in, so not sure which state to sit for the certification in. Enough to make you crazy! She will be taking the certification in July, I think, so she just has to eliminate 49 states and pick one! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey